"Nong Ploy" aged just 8 is carrying on the proud family tradition as a foundation medic

webfact

"Nong Ploy" aged just 8 is carrying on the proud family tradition as a foundation medic

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

CHONBURI/PATTAYA: -- Thai Rath reported on a heartwarming story about a little girl who is continuing in her grandfather and father's footsteps as a medic for the Traikhunatham Foundation.

Ploy - real name Khwanjira - loves to go out with her dad Kasem Punnasirikun, 30, in the Chonburi area helping members of the public who have been injured.

The little girl was only five when she started. Kasem admitted proudly that she had been pestering him to take her out so he took her to certain jobs and at first she just observed what was going on.

But as she started to develop she was given small bandaging jobs in non-dangerous cases.

Her dad stressed to Thai Rath that in cases like fires she had to stay home as it was too dangerous.

Kasem said that his own father Chamnarn was a medic with the same foundation and had take him out from age 7, so Ploy was continuing in the family tradition that stretches back 23 years.

She is allowed to travel in the vehicle that has a staff of four with dad driving. Sometimes she is allowed in the back to help look after victims being transported to hospital.

But one of her favorite activities is to monitor the radio with another person back at base. She is very excited when a call comes in

and she can go out with the team and help people.

Thai Rath reported that Nong Ploy has good grades at school and just wants to volunteer and help others.

Thaivisa notes that foundations such as this one and others like Ruam Kathanyu, Por Teck Tung and Sawang Boriboon are familiar sights at accidents, fires and other events in Thailand where they work in conjunction with police and other services in helping the public.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-13

Emergency services are not baby sitting services.

long may she serve indeed.... after getting qualifications to do so.

a common complaint aired on TV, post incidents, is that Thais are under ( or not) qualified.... ta da... this is how and why.

would you see such a thing in a first world country? No... for a damn good reason.... and I know this is Thailand ( blah blah blah)... LOS... land of stupidity!

13 hours ago, farcanell said:

Emergency services are not baby sitting services.

long may she serve indeed.... after getting qualifications to do so.

a common complaint aired on TV, post incidents, is that Thais are under ( or not) qualified.... ta da... this is how and why.

would you see such a thing in a first world country? No... for a damn good reason.... and I know this is Thailand ( blah blah blah)... LOS... land of stupidity!

Yes, a lot of Thais are under/not qualified.  There was a post not long ago about a teenaged girl working in a garage.  She grew-up helping her father with car maintenance, and now she is the best mechanic in the shop.

Nong-Ploy will be no different.  By the time she leaves school, she will be more qualified than anybody graduating from an associated course.  Any education qualification is not worth the paper it's printed on, outside Thailand, so any on-the-job experience she receives now will set her up for a long, worthwhile career.

I'm guilty of Thai-bashing from time-to-time, but credit where credit's due.  I commend her father for giving her the opportunity.

Your last paragraph says it all; if you're not happy here, go back to where you came from.

1 hour ago, Moti24 said:

Your last paragraph says it all; if you're not happy here, go back to where you came from.

The Last paragraph doesn't say it all, at all.... and my happiness level is irrelevant to you or this article

NOTE..... what is relevant is that emergency service situations are NOT situations where children should be taken.... perhaps the opposite, regardless of good intentions, and a far cry from being a TA to dad in a car repair shop ( big thumbs up on that one.... I support it whole heartedly)

paramedics have been known to get PTSD, for goodness sakes... how anyone can condone the concept of a wee child tagging along is beyond me

ergo.... perhaps I care more about the mental health of a wee Thai child than yourself.... so perhaps think on that before being all cute and trying to support this stupidity.

you admit to being a part time Thai basher.... good for you... obviously it's you who need to go home, as my history posting on here, does not reflect Thai bashing, but gives opinions on subjects... and this subject is not wonderful and heart warming... it's irresponsible and stupid and deserved of critism, where ever in the world it may be found

and... well done on bashing the education system.... you gave your opinion there, which appears to be an endorsement on circum navigating education... vs improving education... well done indeed.... keep the natives under educatated and working for a bowl of rice a day.... rather pompous in my mind 

perhaps you should jump on the Thai medical hub thread to let people know your thoughts on the skills and knowledge of the people who will be providing these services, who's qualifications, in your opinion, are worthless ( oh.... and the wee child is getting hands on experience by these adults you accuse of having worthless qualifications... what a great way to improve the future for the next gen of Thais.... unqualified people teaching a child ?)

education is key to progress.... if you would like to help thailand, support education reform, rather than subvert it (or condone it's current state)

Edited by farcanell

Foundations say you have to be 16 years old to work as what they call a "Rescue Junior" in certain situations under guidance. 
18 is the (obviously unenforced) limit to become a rescue worker in Thailand.