Thailand to become ‘medical hub’, new 10 year visa launched

webfact

I have been reading the 'Hub' idea for at least a decade. I want to know....out of all the hubs, have ANY actually reached 'Hub' level??? I am like.....'goin down wiv my homies tonight' and I really want a talking point for our 'caps ass backwards' discussions....Did they EVER really get there?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/14/2017 at 1:21 PM, WhizBang said:

The BIG problem with this idea is that if the doctor screws up, neither the doctor or the hospital will take responsibility  You can also forget suing for malpractice.  Fix those 2 problems and they may have something.

As for the 90 day reporting, yes it needs to stop.  It is mind-bogglingly stupid.  If they need to know where I live, how about changing the requirement to reporting any change of permanent address within x days of moving.  As it is, I own my condo and actually live in it.  I have do so now for over 15 years.  The whole 90 day reporting is just a waste of my time.

After living in the US most of my life I have to disagree about malpractice as the the malpractice insurance and the lawsuits have driven the cost of health care through the roof. I believe most all doctors are trying to help you the best they can and I am willing to take the risk that mine screws up in order to keep the care affordable. I agree they should pay for what can be done to repair the damage if possible but big settlements don't really help anything. I do hope Thailand finds a way to provide a good health insurance for foreigners.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:45 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

I would get a second opinion from an Australian doctor.

One thing I have learned from 30+ years experience living in Thailand is always get a second opinion on any diagnosis, medical or dental.

My Chinese dim sum seller down the road from me in Bangkok has certificates on the wall as well. 

The fake certificate comments are biased and unfair. I have had great service by Bangkok doctors and nurses for almost 10 to 20 percent or less for the same treatment in USA. They are not buying their wall certificates in any greater number than frauds in other countries.  You have a right to opine all things Thai are bad as you often do, but when it comes to medical care Thailand is a first world country and the USA is a third world country.  I don't say that proudly but shameful the cost, complexity, and lack of skill of medical care in the USA. Thailand has handled medical care for rich and poor better than any other country. 

On 7/22/2017 at 8:45 AM, Father Fintan Stack said:

I would get a second opinion from an Australian doctor.

One thing I have learned from 30+ years experience living in Thailand is always get a second opinion on any diagnosis, medical or dental.

My Chinese dim sum seller down the road from me in Bangkok has certificates on the wall as well. 

The fake certificate comments are biased and unfair. I have had great service by Bangkok doctors and nurses for almost 10 to 20 percent or less for the same treatment in USA. They are not buying their wall certificates in any greater number than frauds in other countries.  You have a right to opine all things Thai are bad as you often do, but when it comes to medical care Thailand is a first world country and the USA is a third world country.  I don't say that proudly but shameful the cost, complexity, and lack of skill of medical care in the USA. Thailand has handled medical care for rich and poor better than any other country. 

13 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Not for 95% of the Thais it isn't.

Last week a Thai GF got sick in BKK. She is from northern city.  Went to Police hospital BKK near Centralworld and within 2 hours she saw 2 nurses and an emergency room doctor and was given 3 prescriptions. Cost total 120 baht and 70 baht of the 120 baht was for the three prescriptions. She is a woman without money. In the USA this would never have happened.  She would have waited for 24 hours in a public hospital and they would have billed her and tried to collect and not provided her assistance with payment for prescriptions. You are way off base with your opinions on this issue. And you know what else -- the doctor actually listened to her and did not rush her out the door. Amazing.