The unpredictable Thai wife......

Gary A

10 hours ago, livingmakmak said:

And I don't either.
In the first place I wouldn't have put up with a wife like yours and in the second place; like I said before, you let her drag your tail between your legs and you're okay with it. Good on ya
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You're being a bit presumptuous mate, but that's the price of posting on an anonymous forum I guess......:(

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, transam said:

Oh dear.............:coffee1:

Exactly my thoughts Trans ..and the guy is looking to come and live here in a 1M thb condo with his wife ...who isn't Thai ...me thinks a steep learning curve may be coking  ... best of luck Mr LMM I really hope you find your nitch here.

I will offer a contrast, and you can rake me over the coals all you like -- When my relationship with my future wife became serious, I decided I wanted a relationship built on trust, not on power & control. After we got married, she became Joint owner on all my accounts.  She has full access.  She has proven to be the wisest & most prudent money manager one could ever want.  She is empowered & happy.  Either of us can buy whatever we want, but generally neither of us spend more than $100 on anything without asking the other due to respect and ensuring prudent use of our money.  In 10 years, she has never made what I would call a "questionable" decision.  She earns her own money, but socks that away to support her parents when they retire, so she is planning years ahead.  In the meantime, she has established her own rock-solid credit score (in the U.S.) so she occasionally uses credit; pays it all off; and never bothers me about it. 

I knew this was a risk at the outset but I didn't want to go into old age with someone I could not trust.  If I was gonna get burned, I wanted to know earlier, not later. It was the best decision I could ever had made.  She is now learning about more advanced money management and investments; I know that when I go our money will support her the rest of her life, with something to pass to our little girl.  

So the lesson learned is -- you need to decide early on what you are looking for.  Is it a life partner with equal trust & power on both sides, or is it a transactional-based relationship, with one-way power & control?  One allows both parties to thrive; the other is demeaning & controlling.  The answer to this will dictate how you structure your life & personal affairs.  I got a keeper, and I treat her that way.  

My wife and I been sorta working that way. We've been maxing out our 401K and roth accounts for a little over 25years, set aside money for our children and split the mortage payment. When it came to large purchases, we discussed it together and if one of us disagreed we would prolong the plan until some compromise was made. My wife and I purchased two prius (cash) and we have both been grateful.
I don't throw a lump sum and ask her to buy whatever she wants. It isn't our style I guess.

Point is, OP's wife seems ungrateful from his description and that kind of attitude isn't something I tolerate too well. That's just me though.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

A flame has been removed, please go back and re read the forum rules that you agreed to when you signed up:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.