TCL TV and Netflix.

Rockee

That's odd. I bought a 42 inch TCL smart TV from Central in BKK in the past year. And, unfortunately, TCL doesn't load the Google Play Store, but instead, their own lousy, crippled, out of date TCL app "store."

But on my TCL TV, even the TCL app store has its own Netflix app, mine shows a version of 4.10.7. And it does work, though I never use it (and prefer other methods to the same end).

I looked around for a while to try to see if I could sideload a working version of the Google Play Store onto the TCL TV, but couldn't find anything that looked promising in English. One of the problems with TCL is a lot of the user support info is either in Chinese or Thai.

1 minute ago, Rockee said:

Okay, finally got a reply from the TCL website.
Told me to download App on my laptop, transfer to USB and then plug into TV and transfer Netflix app.
I'll try that and see how I go.
Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Does your set have any built-in app store available -- the TCL one, Google Play or otherwise?

7 minutes ago, Rockee said:

Yes tried to do it with the browser but didn't want to do it? I'll try the laptop to USB to TV when I get home.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, I don't mean with a browser.

On my TCL and on its remote control, there in a specific white color button labeled "APP" that takes you to the TCL app store for the TV, where it shows what apps are currently installed and what other ones are available via TCL. On mine, Netflix is one of those.

Again, at least on mine, the same stuff is also available through the Settings menu and then going to the Apps section under that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

14 minutes ago, Rockee said:

Yep did all that. Went into apps. NO Netflix .
Have Ciflix.
As I posted tried all that but doesn't want to show Netflix.

I've had mixed results with side loading regular Android apps onto the TCL Smart TV. At some point, doing so seemed to interfere with/delay the normal startup of the TV (which has to go thru it's "smart" startup before the basic TV controls even become available).

In the end, I removed most or all of my sideloaded apps from the TV itself and just relied instead of external devices. 

If I had it to do again -- until and unless the Roku-loaded TCL TVs from the U.S. start surfacing in Thailand or TCL incorporates the Google Play Store --  I'd skip the "smart" part of TCL TVs and just get a regular "dumb" set. At least on my TCL set, the "smart" part is very poorly implemented. Looks like it was made for a Chinese audience.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I just use an old laptop a d connect it to the TV with HDMI.  Can use a 99 THB wireless mouse as my remote.  Netflix movie selection was quite weak.  Used a free trial, and unlikely I will do it again.  Did you try it with YouTube?  Just to make sue it is communicating with your router.  At some point you would need to log in with your broadband password.  I helped my parents with their Vizio, and at first it seemed like a mind of its own.  And there are delays too, and you just can't keep pressing buttons.