Hardcore price hikes on flights online to bkk

Rc2702

9 hours ago, JamJar said:

Yes. That is low demand, not the reason for increased prices. chris455 is suggesting that low demand is the reason for increased prices. Which of course is nonsense.

It's not as if scheduled airlines cancel their flights from London to Bangkok in July and August and then reinstate them when the weather improves later in the year, as chris455 is suggesting. 

Maybe chris455 is one of those businessmen so ridiculed on these forums, who puts the price up when he has less customers to try to make up for the loss of custom. :smile:

Scheduled airlines do reduce flights on segments that aren't at/near capacity.  Happens all the time.  Which will of course have an impact on price.  Less seats means they can raise prices as the inventory gets taken up.  Turkish Air is doing this now.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/08/27/turkish-airlines-flights-canceled/

While capacity cuts in winter are fairly common among airlines, typically that comes in the form of shifting capacity. In other words, in winter an airline like Lufthansa might switch capacity from Northern Europe to Southern Europe.

An interesting article:

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/expensive-airfare/

Moreover, following 9/11 and the recession, demand fell, and to compensate, airlines reduced both the number of routes they offered and the frequency of their flights. They did this to save money and fly fuller planes. Fuller planes mean more passenger revenue and fewer costs for the airline. It’s why if you live far from a major city, you’ve seen fares go up and the number of flights go down. Planes fly close to full now, and airlines are quite happy about that.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Scheduled airlines do reduce flights on segments that aren't at/near capacity.  Happens all the time.  Which will of course have an impact on price.  Less seats means they can raise prices as the inventory gets taken up.  Turkish Air is doing this now.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2016/08/27/turkish-airlines-flights-canceled/

An interesting article:

https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/expensive-airfare/

craigt3365....I know how it works, but this is not to what we are referring. We are referring to seasonality and how it affects flight prices to Thailand.

Specifically, the reason why flights to Thailand are more expensive in July and August.

It's only chris455(are you related?) who is wandering off subject because his theory makes no sense at all. Please don't join him in his hopeless endeavour.

His assertion is that flights to Thailand are expensive because of low demand in July and August and cheap when there is high demand in October etc  Clearly the figures show it is quite the opposite in reality. 

That has nothing to do with airlines reducing capacity in July and August to create a scarce resource and then reinstating it in September and October when there is low demand anyway. 

So let's not waste time in discussing something wholly irrelevant.

29 minutes ago, JamJar said:

craigt3365....I know how it works, but this is not to what we are referring. We are referring to seasonality and how it affects flight prices to Thailand.

Specifically, the reason why flights to Thailand are more expensive in July and August.

It's only chris455(are you related?) who is wandering off subject because his theory makes no sense at all. Please don't join him in his hopeless endeavour.

His assertion is that flights to Thailand are expensive because of low demand in July and August and cheap when there is high demand in October etc  Clearly the figures show it is quite the opposite in reality. 

That has nothing to do with airlines reducing capacity in July and August to create a scarce resource and then reinstating it in September and October when there is low demand anyway. 

So let's not waste time in discussing something wholly irrelevant.

Did you read that article?  It specifically references seasonality. 

Be nice.  Personal attacks here are not necessary and against forum rules.

Airlines do increase and decrease capacity with demand. For example Emirates will have more flights into BKK during their the peak busy season but will drop some some flights after April and maybe change an A380 flight to a 777. This doesn't make the ticket price higher in the low season though. Flights in Low season will almost always be cheaper in the May June Sept and Oct than the peak Thai busy season of Dec, Jan, Feb.

If you like to book late rather than fix dates months in advance you will have a much better chance of success in booking late and getting a decent (low) airfare in May, Jun, Sept, Oct. than during the winter busy season. 

Chris455 sincerely believes the opposite. Ticket prices are higher in the low season (which has less seats and numbers of flights available) and ticket prices are lower in the peak high season ( when number of flights increase and more seats are available) . Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am not sure anybody yet agrees with Chris455 unique belief. 

11 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Chris455 sincerely believes the opposite. Ticket prices are higher in the low season (which has less seats and numbers of flights available) and ticket prices are lower in the peak high season ( when number of flights increase and more seats are available) . Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I am not sure anybody yet agrees with Chris455 unique belief. 

do you read my posts?

I have said ticket prices are higher in low season, and provided PROOF that it includes July/August.

I have also said during peak season or high season, jan, feb, march, prices are lower due to increased competition.

Yes i have said that, and know it to be true year upon year. I have never seen cheap flights july and august, and have never expected to either. This relates to flights from the UK.

That graph is nonsense.

Relating to Ko Samui:  Although the weather may be OK ish in Samui, it cannot accomodate the levels of people that the rest of Thailand can. (Apologises to captain obvious.)

Edited by chris455

In addition:

If you were right about July/August being the high season, then airline's would be competing and prices would be reduced. This is not the case because it is the low season in Thailand.  I have already given proof.

Craig has also suggested that low season=low demand, and higher airfares.

That i can understand perfectly. I am a World Traveller, and have been backpacking since my 20's and now in my late 40's. I do know what i am talking about.

I have also said that the price hikes are probably a combination of 'seasonality '(like Craig also has), and probably 'school holidays'

Butt am more weighted towards 'seasonality'. Let me explain why, because if you look at flights to Latin American destinations you will see them similarly affected price wise like Thailands. Latin America isn't a 'bring the kids' type of destination like Thailand is, but does have similar weather 'seasons', like Thailand does.

I rest my case!

2 hours ago, chris455 said:

In addition:

If you were right about July/August being the high season, then airline's would be competing and prices would be reduced. This is not the case because it is the low season in Thailand.  I have already given proof.

Craig has also suggested that low season=low demand, and higher airfares.

That i can understand perfectly. I am a World Traveller, and have been backpacking since my 20's and now in my late 40's. I do know what i am talking about.

I have also said that the price hikes are probably a combination of 'seasonality '(like Craig also has), and probably 'school holidays'

Butt am more weighted towards 'seasonality'. Let me explain why, because if you look at flights to Latin American destinations you will see them similarly affected price wise like Thailands. Latin America isn't a 'bring the kids' type of destination like Thailand is, but does have similar weather 'seasons', like Thailand does.

I rest my case!

I really do think you should rest your case on this !

July/August in UK is HIGH SEASON accordingly the airlines know majority of people incl families with children will be flying

For the period July/August the airlines DO NOT have to compete for customers ! See Emirates Y prices  in Aug of £800 ex MAN-BKK

July/August might be low season in Thailand but the airlines know because of HIGH SEASON in UK they do NOT have to compete (reduce prices) for July /Aug.

1 minute ago, Brown1950 said:

I really do think you should rest your case on this !

July/August in UK is HIGH SEASON accordingly the airlines know majority of people incl families with children will be flying

For the period July/August the airlines DO NOT have to compete for customers ! See Emirates Y prices  in Aug of £800 ex MAN-BKK

July/August might be low season in Thailand but the airlines know because of HIGH SEASON in UK they do NOT have to compete (reduce prices) for July /Aug.

Perhaps best to leave the man to his delusions.

He is either Trolling or we should perhaps lay off him in case he has a far more serious problem. I'm not joking. I'm actually concerned that all is not well there.

In the face of overwhelming evidence of official figures showing that arrivals increase in July and August, he prefers imagination as opposed to fact.

8 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

Did you read that article?  It specifically references seasonality. 

Be nice.  Personal attacks here are not necessary and against forum rules.

Perhaps you can underline any reference to a personal attack in the post of mine that you quoted.

No I didn't read the article, because I already know how it works, which is why I rarely pay more than £300 for a return flight to Thailand.

It is chris455 who needs to read the articles, so direct him to them, instead writing nonsense to me about personal attacks. I take umbrage at your remarks.

I genuinely believe that there is something not quite right about chris455's choice to completely ignore the official figures presented to him. Not only that, but arguing with about everyone here when they tell him that he is wrong.

So unless you are agreeing with his assertion, direct your quotes to him, not to me.

You can see that only he is thanking your posts, as he clearly thinks that you are on his side. Which encourages him to think that he is right.

So perhaps you should think about how you present what you are posting.

53 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Perhaps you can underline any reference to a personal attack in the post of mine that you quoted.

No I didn't read the article, because I already know how it works, which is why I rarely pay more than £300 for a return flight to Thailand.

It is chris455 who needs to read the articles, so direct him to them, instead writing nonsense to me about personal attacks. I take umbrage at your remarks.

I genuinely believe that there is something not quite right about chris455's choice to completely ignore the official figures presented to him. Not only that, but arguing with about everyone here when they tell him that he is wrong.

So unless you are agreeing with his assertion, direct your quotes to him, not to me.

You can see that only he is thanking your posts, as he clearly thinks that you are on his side. Which encourages him to think that he is right.

I am concerned as to your need to use 3 posts to respond to one. I'm even concerned you come across as a rude bully, with your angry and domineering responses, including this one to Craig. Try and show some politeness and courtesy in your posting manner. I won't accept rude or agressive posts.

JAMJAR: @ In the face of overwhelming evidence of official figures showing that arrivals increase in July and August, he prefers imagination as opposed to fact. @

I have already given proof that July/August is low season in Thailand, and even Brown agrees about that. You need to have a serious look at that graph of yours, i don't think it's a good one. If july/August was a busy part of the year, then it would be mentioned, but it belongs to the LOW season. If it was busy, it would be called the high season, but it isn't. Is this any clearer, JAMJAR/BROWN?

Regarding Browns theory, that is all that it is, a THEORY. I have my own theory, and there's no doubt that this has far less to do with school holidays as you seem to think. What gives you the idea that cash strapped Brits are gonna travel all the way to far to far flung destinations like Latin America, or Thailand, when it's the low season, and weather's rubbish and unpredictable? There is a reason why jan, feb, march, is peak season, because it's the only time the weather is just about 'bearable' for most Brits.

At worse you haven't explained yourself correctly, or just been trolling. Yet you accuse me of trolling? Brown at least says something i can understand which is the UK Outward airlines taking advantage of the School Holidays 'predicament'. However i still disagree  that it is the whole reason, because as i have said if july/August were busy, the prices would be cheaper (like at other peak times). See,  am i making logical sense now?? I don't care if i'm disagreeing with everyone else. Who say's they are right?? Blind following the blind? I'm not some drunken publican group mentality fool, i can tell you.

This isn't about who's right or wrong, but this is about facts dispelling myths. I've already said price rises are a combination of School Holidays, and Season, but you stubbornly will not agree.

Seriously, i'm using logic to prove mt point. I do not care if you do not agree, or anyone else;  So why do you need to respond with several posts, and then accuse ME, of trolling?

Edited by chris455

18 minutes ago, chris455 said:

I am concerned as to your need to use 3 posts to respond to one. I'm even concerned you come across as a bully, with your angry and domineering responses, including this one to Craig.

I have already given proof that July/August is low season in Thailand, and even Brown agrees about that. You need to have a serious look at that graph of yours, i don't think it's a good one. If july/August was a busy part of the year, then it would be mentioned, but it belongs to the LOW season.

Regarding Browns theory, that is all that it is, a THEORY. I have my own theory, and there's no doubt that this has far less to do with school holidays as you seem to think. What gives you the idea that cash strapped Brits are gonna travel all the far to far flung destinations like Latin America, or Thailand, when it's the low season, and weather's unpredictable. There is a reason why jan, feb, march is peak season, because it's the only time the weather is just about 'bearable' for most Brits.

At worse you havent explained yourself correctly, or just been trolling. Yet you accuse me of trolling? Brown at least says something i can understand which is the UK Outward airlines taking advantage of the School Holidays 'predicament'. However i still disagree that is the whole reason because as i have said if july/August were busy, the prices would be cheaper like at other peak times. See,  am i making logical sense now??? I don't care if i'm disagreeing with everyone else. Who say's they are right?? Blind following the blind? I'm not some drunken publican group mentality fool, i can tell you.

Try and show some politeness and courtesy in your posting manner. I won't accept agressive posts.

This isn't about who's right or wrong, but this is about facts dispelling myths. I've already said price rises are a combination of School Holidays, and Season, but you stubbornly will not agree.

Seriously, i do not care if you do not agree, or anyone else. So why do you respond with several posts, and then accuse ME, of trolling?

No, you cut and paste something from a Xpat forum regarding the weather and Brown1950 did not agree.

In fact he wrote;

July/August in UK is HIGH SEASON 

It seems that you get confused rather easily.

As to school holidays, CNXBKKMAN told you about that in post # 45 and I reiterated that in post #60, that prices from the UK were broadly in line with the long holidays.

Now you are all of a sudden you are accepting Brown1950's explanation of school holidays in your reply. :smile:

Let us look at what you wrote in post #46 after CNXBKKMAN wrote about parents booking up seats for the long holidays in post #45

I don't agree with people who say that high season in the UK means that flights to places like Thailand will be high because of that!

I believe that prices rise at these times because there is much LESS demand to travel to Thailand during it's worse weather season. Most people use Thailand as a 'winter sun' destination, and travel mostly January to March. That's when flights are cheapest due to competition.

You don't agree, but I posted the graph of prices from Momondo and I showed you arrival figures from official sources.

Somehow in your mind all of these entities are colluding against you.

In your mind, the low arrivals of June and October and the correspondingly low prices are just a trick, perpetrated by Momondo and the Department of Tourism in Thailand.

You asserted that there were no cheap prices in June and I responded by posting a raft of cheap prices available both last minute and a month before for June.

So in the face of this overwhelming evidence, you produce 'proof' from Xpat website that May to October is low season. :smile: :smile: :stoner:

If that were the case then why aren't the prices from May to October uniformly expensive? Why no cheap prices in July and August?

2 hours ago, JamJar said:

No, you cut and paste something from a Xpat forum regarding the weather and Brown1950 did not agree.

In fact he wrote;

It seems that you get confused rather easily.

As to school holidays, CNXBKKMAN told you about that in post # 45 and I reiterated that in post #60, that prices from the UK were broadly in line with the long holidays.

Now you are all of a sudden you are accepting Brown1950's explanation of school holidays in your reply. :smile:

Let us look at what you wrote in post #46 after CNXBKKMAN wrote about parents booking up seats for the long holidays in post #45

You don't agree, but I posted the graph of prices from Momondo and I showed you arrival figures from official sources.

Somehow in your mind all of these entities are colluding against you.

In your mind, the low arrivals of June and October and the correspondingly low prices are just a trick, perpetrated by Momondo and the Department of Tourism in Thailand.

You asserted that there were no cheap prices in June and I responded by posting a raft of cheap prices available both last minute and a month before for June.

So in the face of this overwhelming evidence, you produce 'proof' from Xpat website that May to October is low season. :smile: :smile: :stoner:

If that were the case then why aren't the prices from May to October uniformly expensive? Why no cheap prices in July and August?

Brown said July/Aug was low season in Thailand, but you insist it's high season in Thailand.

I can go on but i wont bother, this is getting tedious.

BTW, i haven't discounted schooh holidays are a factor, but your theories are extremely narrow minded, and based upon selective ignorance.

Goodbye ;)

6 hours ago, chris455 said:

Brown said July/Aug was low season in Thailand, but you insist it's high season in Thailand.

I can go on but i wont bother, this is getting tedious.

BTW, i haven't discounted schooh holidays are a factor, but your theories are extremely narrow minded, and based upon selective ignorance.

Goodbye ;)

It's clearly not low season if arrivals go up as compared to June and October, is it? The fact that you would rather take Xpat forum as a reference, rather than official arrival figures from Thailand's ministries, speaks volumes as to the paucity of your argument.

Think about it, if people were not travelling there in July and August, they would have to reduce the price to induce people to travel.

But they aren't doing so, are they? 

The problem is you are thinking with your single man brain and also with the misconception that families don't have money in the UK. It's far from the truth.

My theories, allow me to fly to SE Asia for £200 to £300 return, outside of July and August. :smile: Because I understand how the system works.

It is your weird theories that are narrow minded. When the official figures show that your theory doesn't work(arrivals up in July/August. Prices up in July/August), your irrational reaction was to state that all of the graphs were fake. :post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by JamJar

12 hours ago, JamJar said:

I'm not on anybody's side.  You said you didn't read my article, so you can't properly reply to it.

Guaranteed I know how to present what I post.  I use to run this travel forum.  If you'll notice, I started a few of the pinned topics.

This thread is just dragging on.

14 hours ago, chris455 said:

as i have said if july/August were busy, the prices would be cheaper (like at other peak times). See,  am i making logical sense now??

Maybe this thread can be closed with this nugget of wisdom from Chris settling it once and for all!

All i can say is that i may be wrong, but i believe i had a point.

Jamjar, you could have at least agreed with my point which included School Holidays, but you refused to. You really were keen to drag this one on.

Anyway, i won't fall for that again anytime soon. ;)

1 hour ago, chris455 said:

All i can say is that i may be wrong, but i believe i had a point.

Jamjar, you could have at least agreed with my point which included School Holidays, but you refused to. You really were keen to drag this one on.

Anyway, i won't fall for that again anytime soon. ;)

chris455, the problem is that it isn't about the school holidays. The problem is that your whole premise is wrong. Illustrated here:

as i have said if july/August were busy, the prices would be cheaper (like at other peak times). See,  am i making logical sense now??

No, you aren't making any sense. You are making the assumption that your "High season, low prices. Low season, high prices" theory is correct. It is not. Not even a little bit.

Broadly speaking, it is exactly the opposite. This is why everyone on the thread is disagreeing with you.

You just ignore the data that disagrees with your theory, like the increased arrivals at certain times of the year corresponding with higher prices. 

One of the reasons why there are increased arrivals in July and August is because of the holiday period in the UK, Europe and elsewhere. 

But you insisted there were no low prices in June and I showed you that there were. So once again, your theory out of the window. But yet you still insisted.

No one has anything against you personally. Certainly not me.

I just didn't understand why you were persisting with the argument, after I went to the trouble of providing conclusive evidence in the form of low prices in June, graphs showing representative prices throughout the year and two graphs showing arrivals, monthly and quarterly, from official sources.

So it is not me wanting to prolong the argument. It is you. I felt that I had already presented conclusive evidence.

Whereas you continue to argue, even in the face of conclusive evidence. Illustrated by your ludicrous quote above.

So please chris455, accept that you are wrong. No one will think the worse of you. In fact you are likely to gain some respect.

5 minutes ago, chris455 said:

Yes, i have already said i might be wrong, but i still think....err, better not. ;)

It's ok. You can think what you want to think. But when you pass it out here as advice, it has to be corrected. For the benefit of all.

Nothing personal.