Pattaya's sea - nothing short of an environmental disaster zone

webfact

What do you expect, 20km from heavy industrial estate, like Laem Chabang.

As long as there is no good environmental control, nothing will chang.

Make the crossing to the other side of the bay, and go to Cha-am, HuaHin for example.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

What do you expect, 20km from heavy industrial estate, like Laem Chabang.

As long as there is no good environmental control, nothing will chang.

Make the crossing to the other side of the bay, and go to Cha-am, HuaHin for example.

The beaches and sea don't get really nice until past Hua Hin on that side, and Rayong on the other.  Even then, nothing like Phuket!

Sadly, Pattaya Beach was recently cited as one of the 10 beaches in the world to avoid!

It is awful to see the looks on friends faces when they come to Thailand expecting pristine beaches but are presented with the equivalent of cesspools!:shock1:

:sad:

14 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

Sadly, Pattaya Beach was recently cited as one of the 10 beaches in the world to avoid!

It is awful to see the looks on friends faces when they come to Thailand expecting pristine beaches but are presented with the equivalent of cesspools!:shock1:

:sad:

Doesn't seem to keep the Chinese away....

They keep coming and coming, so the word of mouth about this place much be pretty good.

I was in Pattaya around 1992, the sea was filthy then from the same problem with raw sewerage being pumped offshore from the same pipes. What's changed so drastically since then that has got the media all in a hissy fit? Just like in the jungle, don't let any open wound be exposed as your wading through to get onto the speedboat and you'll be fine.

2 hours ago, mlmcleod said:

It is awful to see the looks on friends faces when they come to Thailand expecting pristine beaches but are presented with the equivalent of cesspools!

Yet they still keep coming.  In increasing numbers as the quality of the experience continues its downward.  As long as the gravy train continues, I doubt any serious actions will be taken.  

And when the tipping point is reached, it will be too late, and decades will pass before anyone comes except for the hookers.  Sex mongers.  Just the tourists you want to keep.

16 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Should have been done 30+ years ago, but they've all been too busy just raping the place for money.

Time to move on to another location to rape - there are plenty of nice virgin spots south for Huahin all the way down to Khanom/Sichon area which are like Pattaya was 30-40 yrs ago...

Have never understood the popularity of Thailands "sore spot" Pattaya -  a real absess...

2 hours ago, Tbone999 said:

I was in Pattaya around 1992, the sea was filthy then from the same problem with raw sewerage being pumped offshore from the same pipes. What's changed so drastically since then that has got the media all in a hissy fit? Just like in the jungle, don't let any open wound be exposed as your wading through to get onto the speedboat and you'll be fine.

Pattaya did pump its sewage into the sea in the 90s and it did get very polluted with turds etc floating around, but they built a large water treatment plant on the other side of sukhumvit in 2000 which largely solved the problem. since then the population has grown a lot and thai maintanence etc and no doubt it needs improvement but its a myth to say that all pattayas raw sewage goes into the sea

14 hours ago, ThaiTrav said:

What are you talking about ????? Due to all the recent changes  Pattaya is now classified a world class tourist resort????? WORLD CLASS God help us if its true!!!!!

That would depend on whose standards you use, when you dont possess any of your own

That may be a beach technically speaking, but is not one I think most people want to visit. Looks like a giant septic tank. 

I went to a beach years ago near the North Korean border (east coast of S. Korea). 

Didn't expect much. But was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness, order, lifeguards, nice sand, great food and friendly people (and no people trying to sell u things).  And I am giving a review of a rather unimpressive beach not even talking about the beaches in Oz, California or even eastern Canada I have visited. 

Bottom line  that looks like a sewer. Yuck and good luck Pattaya! 

Today they were lifting up the concrete drain covers opposite Central on 2nd road. Drains were full of cooking oil and a orange colored sludge, it was disgusting. Fancy pouring all that oil down there, no wonder things clog up in this town.

8 minutes ago, Ling Kae said:

Today they were lifting up the concrete drain covers opposite Central on 2nd road. Drains were full of cooking oil and a orange colored sludge, it was disgusting. Fancy pouring all that oil down there, no wonder things clog up in this town.

Well that cooking oil could be recycled. New business opp'!!

35 minutes ago, sandemara said:

The condition of the beach seems to be just a symbol of what Pattaya - an alleged "world-class" tourist venue - is in reality: a place full of shit, human waste, pollution, and a mortal danger for visitors.

Yes, yes, yes! 

Wife: There is this resort just south-east of Bangkok called Pattaya. Can we go visit? This TAT brochure states that it's "world class".

Husband: You wouldn't like it dear. It's "a place full of shit, human waste, pollution, and a mortal danger for visitors."

Wife: Oh darling, you are so knowing and always thinking of my well-being. Didn't you go there a few years ago?

Husband: Errr.... No!!

Wife: I think you did. Remember the postcard?!

Husband: Oh yes! I remember now! I went for the International marathon.

Wife: I didn't know you could run that far darling!?

Husband: Errr.... I just went to watch. Went straight back to the fishing lake afterwards.

Also a psychological danger for visitors.

On 14/07/2017 at 1:33 AM, ThaiTrav said:

What are you talking about ????? Due to all the recent changes  Pattaya is now classified a world class tourist resort????? WORLD CLASS God help us if its true!!!!!

It is a hub for sporting events, which include walking on water.

On 7/13/2017 at 9:43 PM, Xonax said:

Proper waste and wastewater management is what Thailand  desperately needs, rather than submarines and high-speed trains!

I have seen the same kind of dirty beaches and black colored water several places in Thailand. Even in Khao Lak.  This has stopped my frequent visits to the beaches of Thailand and will eventually be the death of Thailands profitable tourism-industry.  Thailand is killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

You mean KILLED.  I spent $40K a year there hoping to retire permanently at the beach.  Due to the filth, constant police traffic harassment, and lying and thieving from just about everyone I had to give it up.  I now have a clean beach, good fishing and cheap living elsewhere.  I will never go back!

Seems the city men's idea of pollution control is to plaster the beautiful trees on Jomtien beach with a couple of hudnred

plastic (?) notices     - telling people not  to  litter .

I must say the council have a different way of doing things down there 1

On 7/14/2017 at 1:07 AM, everett kendall said:

There is a creek that runs behind some buildings across the street from Bali Hai. If you saw it you would not believe it, black water and garbage. Sure it empties in the sea.

the non clean up maybe its to do with high up officials scamming off the amount of money that is supposed to go for cleaning up the sea and beaches while they buy expensive houses and condos 

about 5 years ago I would still swim in Jomtien.  Have not since.  Won't ever again.  about 8 years ago I swam in wong amat or whatever up in Naklua.  Love Pattaya as I love to walk around.  Sad can't swim.  So I split my trips in half and head out to the west coast

will be a massive undertaking if they want to clean things up. you have probably what a city of 100,000 200, 000 or more packed into a little area that topographically all flows down hill.  No modern septic or wastewater treament infrastructure is in place.  Would take a massive digging up of every street, installing pipes, culverts, pumps, oh and building a modern treatment plant.  The "new" one they built a while back is tiny and useless.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

will be a massive undertaking if they want to clean things up. you have probably what a city of 100,000 200, 000 or more packed into a little area that topographically all flows down hill.  No modern septic or wastewater treament infrastructure is in place.  Would take a massive digging up of every street, installing pipes, culverts, pumps, oh and building a modern treatment plant.  The "new" one they built a while back is tiny and useless.

In the words of Nike, JUST DO IT.  Just do it.  Make the investment.  Spend the money.  It's not glamorous. It's not splashy flashy.  What it IS is important.  The sooner you start the sooner you're done.  While all the digging is being done, the overhead electrical wires could be buried at the same time.  This would also be a good time to eliminate all the parking on the major roads and improve the sidewalks, turning lanes, traffic intersections, and add center medians on some streets. 

Archived