Gearbox oil

This is a simple question for someone in the know. I have a 1999 Toyota Soluna, which I am trying to look after as it purrs along with 250 km on the clock. I've changed the engine oil quite easily but cannot safely get under the car to see if the manual gearbox ahs its own oil supply. (I know some front wheel drive cars have the same oil supply).

Thank you

It does have separate oil, not much. Just take it to BQuik or equivalent they will change it for you. It is possible but not super easy to change the oil as it is introduced through the level plug hole with a tube from the bottle. Easier to let someone with a vehicle lift do it.

Oil rated GL-4 is for the transmission. GL-5 is for the diff.  The owners manual will tell, then the OP can go to, say, Tesco et al and have a look first. 

Edited by VocalNeal

Thanks for those replies. I would normally do this type of job myself but the axle stands I bought from Lazada are too big for me to get under the car with my  trolley jack.
I have been to the local garage and the guy said he can do it OK, but I am grateful for the remarks on oil type.

I don't have a handbook on this car as it's 18 years old but running fine. I suspect the gearbox oil has probably not been changed for yonks - if at all. Just doing it for peace of mind as t he gearshift is a bit cluncky.

Most helpful set of responses. :smile:

I do miss Halfords, as I've never found a car shop in Pattaya where you can have a mooch around and pick up parts/oil etc. I've never seen anything but engine oil in the supermarkets. I'll check with the guy in the garage that he's using GL4. I wonder how many diffs there are these days with front wheel drive being almost exclusive.