Legal Advice Consultancy

mikesensei

I think it all depends on the following:

-- Is there a need for what he does?
-- Assuming that there is, what are the positives / negatives of being based in Chiang Mai to meet those needs? Can he weight them accordingly? Are any of the negatives too great a barrier for it to work?
-- Can he set up the business structure in Thailand to do so? I wouldn't think that would be hard. 
-- Does he know how to market himself online? I would think that this would be crucial if you're going to do what he wants to do from Chiang Mai.
-- Will he rely on a number of income streams to make it work? 

Personally, I would think that Chiang Mai might not be the best place considering that it's not a major hub. That's not specifically a barrier but it could be if he is required to travel. 

Have you checked the legality of working in the legal profession in Thailand?

Here is an extract of the ‘aliens act’

Prohibited Jobs for Foreigners in Thailand

A Foreigner can work in Thailand under certain conditions. He or she will normally need a valid visa (some visas exclude working, like a tourist visa) and a valid work permit (there are few exceptions). The main law related to Foreigners working in Thailand is called the Aliens Working Act (B.E. 2521 or 1978) and was recently modified in B.E. 2551 (2008). Foreigners are also restricted to have businesses in certain fields under the Foreign Business Act of 1999.

Foreigners (Aliens) are not permitted to work in the following positions:

(this is number 37 in the list)

37.Providing legal services or engaging in legal work, except arbitration work; and work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law, or it is a case where there is no need to apply for the enforcement of such arbitration award in Thailand.

PS I noticed you have started another thread on the same subject!