Cheap beer deals?

Adbro1

2 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Is Beer supposed to taste nice.?.I drink it for the effect ,tastes bloody awfull compared to Vodka n Coke with some nice Pistachio Nuts.?emoji481.png

That's the thing - everyone has different tastes (although some people get annoyed if you don't have exactly the same tastes as them ;) )

i just wish the Thai alcohol market was open enough to cater for all tastes at a reasonable price ;)

people such as the producers of Chalawan are setting up breweries in other countries in order to be able to sell beer in Thailand

Thailand is missing out on jobs and skill development by not allowing the breweries to be more easily built in the country, they are also missing out on the benefits to the local economy by not keeping all the money associated with the business in the country - oh well ;)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You're happy with a sterile white room with no pretties, no music, no food and no good beer?

...and a group of Thai men .I avoid Thai men in groups .

49 minutes ago, anto said:

...and a group of Thai men .I avoid Thai men in groups .

When they're interested in having a good time they're fine.  The closest I've come to seeing trouble in Thailand (shouting, chairs overturn, bottles broken to be used as cutting weapons) was a group of Chinese in an outdoor restaurant near the night market.  If their women hadn't intervened there would have been a lot of blood.

People drink Heineken on six continents without ice and mostly have good reviews. Brewed right here in Thailand..68 for a large...things could be a lot worse.  Some of the same negativity could be directed at Mexico, too.  Truth is, the Mexico beers are great for the blazing heat and also go well with spicy food.  A stout with tacos?  Goes better with bland comfort food.  Wouldn't go with most Italian food, either.  Moetti, Peroni.....a lot more like Heineken than stout or ale.

3 hours ago, heybruce said:

I was told (information I can not verify) that Heineken is brewed different in Thailand to tolerate the heat better.  It does taste harsher to me than Heineken in other countries.

I say BS on that....although there might be slight variations from brewery to brewery.  Just like Marlboros or Eli Lilly insulin...there are different production facilities.  It is hotter in many parts of America, China, South America, and Africa...minute differences...but all the green bottles go bad in the sun...photochmical l reaction, and Heineken has a touch of sour beer in it intentionally so that can become overpowering.  I'll take four month o!d can instead oif a bottle that has been in the light any day.  The draft can often be the best of the three, but the cans are most insistent.  I don't think I could tell a difference on the US and Thai cans..same for the o as at the Hainan Brewery.

9 hours ago, heybruce said:

I was told (information I can not verify) that Heineken is brewed different in Thailand to tolerate the heat better.  It does taste harsher to me than Heineken in other countries.

I don't know if I buy this.  I would think it a cause of concern of the Heineken QC dept.  They do have a brand rep  to protect.  

I do know that when I worked for a time at Kimberly Clark in Wisconsin, they'd bring in toilet paper, etc from all over the world and see if it met their standards.  Much of the overseas stuff was produced by licencees so was of special concern.   While I didn't work in the QA dept, I was part of the group called in to "evaluate" product that was produced overseas overseas under Kimberly Clark license.  I can tell you there was a time or two I came out of the stall and asked the staff if they'd actually looked at the stuff.

16 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Is Beer supposed to taste nice.?.I drink it for the effect ,tastes bloody awfull compared to Vodka n Coke with some nice Pistachio Nuts.?emoji481.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Beer,tastes fantastic.There's so many different types of beers/flavours too.

A cannot drink spirits.How can anything that you have to dilute with coke be considered superior to beer?

You drink beer for the effect?Why,does it work out cheaper in Thailand to get drunk on beer than Vodka and coke?(i ask because i only drink beer)

10 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

I say BS on that....although there might be slight variations from brewery to brewery.  Just like Marlboros or Eli Lilly insulin...there are different production facilities.  It is hotter in many parts of America, China, South America, and Africa...minute differences...but all the green bottles go bad in the sun...photochmical l reaction, and Heineken has a touch of sour beer in it intentionally so that can become overpowering.  I'll take four month o!d can instead oif a bottle that has been in the light any day.  The draft can often be the best of the three, but the cans are most insistent.  I don't think I could tell a difference on the US and Thai cans..same for the o as at the Hainan Brewery.

The same brand of beer can be produced in different countries and the quality and taste can vary widely.

Take for example Cobra Beer,i first tried this in an Indian restaurant and quite liked it,it went very well with a curry.

I would purchase from the supermarket and it still tasted good until after a while,i realised i no longer enjoyed it.

Checking out the bottles i found the beer was no longer brewed in India but the UK.

There seems to be a bait and switch trend where a quality beer is introduced to the UK and afters the punters get a taste for it,it's replaced by an inferior(cheaper) home brewed product that may have the same recipe but not the exact same ingredients(different local water supply,different hops etc) 

Same thing has happened with Staropramen,which was a great tasting Czech lager.

Look at how awful Carlsberg tastes in the UK.Absolutely vile stuff.The export tastes better,but still not good.

Point being,these are supposed to be the same beer but the mere fact that theres an 'export' version shows you will get differences in flavour depending where the beer is brewed.

Also alcohol volume varies in same brand beer depending on where brewed.This also will change the taste.

Finally,i have to say Heineken (Thailand)doesn't taste the same as the Heineken i have drunk in Europe.

There could be some mitigating factors such as the heat and environment your drinking it in but i'm pretty sure its not the same taste

Edited by Adbro1

Of course versions called export are different...just like the Canadian labatts..being is close to 5% everywhere.  Now the megamergers have created some changes..like Spaten brewed in new York, same for Red Tail...and they both were ruined...but that reflects change of ownership.  People make a big deal about Mexican cocacola....very slight differences.  A clean glass and a cold one is a good start.  They just aren't going to cut the tariffs...so might as well have some realistic expectations.  

7 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

Beer,tastes fantastic.There's so many different types of beers/flavours too.

A cannot drink spirits.How can anything that you have to dilute with coke be considered superior to beer?

You drink beer for the effect?Why,does it work out cheaper in Thailand to get drunk on beer than Vodka and coke?(i ask because i only drink beer)

Just ask a Beer Drinker if he realy likes the taste,then what drink he likes the taste of more.I can enjoy a Larger type Beer,but its better with lime in it.Anyway, no Company, no Drink for me..

12 hours ago, Adbro1 said:

Finally,i have to say Heineken (Thailand)doesn't taste the same as the Heineken i have drunk in Europe.

There could be some mitigating factors such as the heat and environment your drinking it in but i'm pretty sure its not the same taste

Not just the Heineken, but the draft Guinness that I had at the Red Lion is a far cry from Guinness that I've had in the UK or US. It's sort of like "Guinness Lite".

On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:57 AM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Agreed, and I live by doing those kinds of calcs...I have never bought a tower in my life....pitchers a different story.  At club cafe they had bottles of Tigers for 65, large, and people would routinely pay 170 for a one litre jug.  I pointed this out...responses were anywhere from don't care to OMG, face palm, why didn't they tell me.  One dollar bud longnecks two blocks from the Whitehouse..budlights were 3.50....you would be amazed.

This is an extract of the prices from a bar in Annusarn Market from last night. It shows that bigger can be better in some cases!

DESCRIPTION

SIZE IN ML

CHANG

PER ML

C'BERG

PER ML

SMALL GLASS (.3ltr)

GLASS (.5ltr)

JUG (1ltr)

TOWER (3ltr)

BOTTLE(S) (.320ltr)

N/A

N/A

BOTTLE(L) (.620ltr)

Edited by scottiejohn

1 hour ago, Duvidl said:

Not just the Heineken, but the draft Guinness that I had at the Red Lion is a far cry from Guinness that I've had in the UK or US. It's sort of like "Guinness Lite".

I thought the Guinness in the Red Lion good .Its shipped from Dublin ,but not as good as a fresh pint in Dublin itself .Anyway at B190 (if still the same price ) its the best value in Chiang mai .

6 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

This is an extract of the prices from a bar in Annusarn Market from last night. It shows that bigger can be better in some cases!

DESCRIPTION

SIZE IN ML

CHANG

PER ML

C'BERG

PER ML

SMALL GLASS (.3ltr)

GLASS (.5ltr)

JUG (1ltr)

TOWER (3ltr)

BOTTLE(S) (.320ltr)

N/A

N/A

BOTTLE(L) (.620ltr)

105 for a large Chang.  Proof that Anusarn Market is not the place to go for deals on beer.

Guinness is constantly messing with their recipe. If it was possible to compare a pint from 30 or more years ago you'd see how it has been smoothed and sweetened out to the point where today's Guinness has no bite and is more sweet than bitter. The other draught stouts available in Thailand are much tastier, but don't seem to ne available in Chiang Mai.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

1 hour ago, JaseTheBass said:

Guinness is constantly messing with their recipe. If it was possible to compare a pint from 30 or more years ago you'd see how it has been smoothed and sweetened out to the point where today's Guinness has no bite and is more sweet than bitter. The other draught stouts available in Thailand are much tastier, but don't seem to ne available in Chiang Mai.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

No its not .The only sweet Guinness is the extra strong stuff.

Pour 10 glasses of beer from 10 different bottles, all with labels covered.  Ask 100 beer drinkers to 'name the beer' from each glass.  Of those 1000 named choices, i'd say about 10% accurate.

IMO, it's all repetition and familiarity which leads to good/bad, like/dislike.

Let's be frank.  We are all in it for the alcohol so go local, go cheap.