Issan by train

davehowden

1 hour ago, davehowden said:

The line runs to Ubon in the East and Non Khai in the North as you know so it's a case of what is worth going to on either/ both of those routes.

Most of the action or activities will be centered of course around population centers unless you enjoy staring at rice fields or mud holes. I am partial to Khon Kaen, Roi Et as interesting places to spend a few days. Khon Kaen for its great food and markets and Roi Et is just a nice smaller provincial city, very relaxing. Yasothon has a great cave (Buddha Cave Mountain) of you like the nature + artifacts stuff. Many other places in between of course but the real action is the cities, I might suggest mapping out stops in a few cities that look interesting depending on what you want to do.

just to add to the discussion (and not to hijack it in ay way):

the OP inspired me to consider something - is there a way to get from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai? and if there are many alternatives, which would be the best for someone who is NOT in a hurry?

thanks!

15 minutes ago, exyalie said:

the OP inspired me to consider something - is there a way to get from Chiang Mai to Nong Khai? and if there are many alternatives, which would be the best for someone who is NOT in a hurry?

thanks!

Once I took the bus from NongKhai to Chiangmai, so there should be one the other way round.

If you're a bit adventurous, take a motorbike trip down to Loei and via Chiang Khan to NongKhai.

In NongKhai I recommend the Esaan Guest house next to the river and Indochina market.

Nong Khai and the surrounding area is worth 2 or 3 days, IMHO.

16 minutes ago, exyalie said:

One adventurous possibility is From Chang Mai, Green Bus to Chang Rai, then to Chang Khong on the Mekong River.  Take a river boat to Luang Prabang in Laos, about a 2 day trip with an overnight in a village along the way.  From LP, the overland (and beautiful mountains) 10+ hour bus to Vientiane though you might want to stop along the way in scenic Vang Vieng, once a druggie/hippie hangout but cleaned up in the last few years. Maybe a day or two in Vientiane, then to Nong Khai, about an hour away.

1 hour ago, exyalie said:

thanks!

There are buses of course. VIP from CM to Udon should make it in 11-12 hours, and then a local bus the last 60 kms to Nong Khai.

And airplane too, CM to Udon. Nok Air I belive nowadays.

I spent some days going from Lampang (which is about an hour southeast of Chiang Mai) to Nong Khai. I went to Tak, Sukhothai, Lom Sak, Udon Thani and then Nong Khai. I took daytime buses. I was also in no hurry. That was about a year and a half ago.

Archived