How do you like the new Skype for iOS?

bubba

For those of you who are using Skype for iOS, have you updated the app and seen the abomination it has become? Major features have been stripped, the UI is completely unintuitive and the whole thing has been dumbed down into some kind of neon coloured Snapchat clone for teenagers. Almost every review in the Apple App Store is one star. 

Then there is this forum thread on Microsoft's own support forum:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_ios-skype_startms-skype_installms/microsoft-if-you-read-this-please-revert-to-the/9f07e4ce-1b83-4f3d-a162-3926583a0c98

I stopped using Skype out credit calls to landline phones years ago, since there are better audio quality and cheaper services out there. I did hear that the new iOS version of Skype no longer allows Skype out landline calls or SMS. Is that the situation with you, DMC1?

On 16/07/2017 at 9:22 AM, KC 71 said:

Face time, and if need be - messenger
Face time has become useless for reception !
I think its because they want you to pay for the good version

Not sure what you mean there. FaceTime is useless for reception of what? Also, I didn't even know there was a "good version" of FaceTime for which you have to pay. It's always free audio and video for me and the quality is excellent.

I stopped using Skype out credit calls to landline phones years ago, since there are better audio quality and cheaper services out there. I did hear that the new iOS version of Skype no longer allows Skype out landline calls or SMS. Is that the situation with you, DMC1?

I use it mainly to call people who don't have internet connection from my IOS device such as elderly relatives in other countries who may not have internet and just have a landline phone in the house. I don't use it for anything else.

3 hours ago, DMC1 said:

I use it mainly to call people who don't have internet connection from my IOS device such as elderly relatives in other countries who may not have internet and just have a landline phone in the house. I don't use it for anything else.

I am still using Skype to make toll free calls to 1800 numbers in US. Last night, I called my US bank using Skype through their 1800 number and was put on hold for 30 minutes until representatives become available. Despite the long talk, the call cost me nothing. If I made the same call using my Thai mobile, it won't be free.

2 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

I am still using Skype to make toll free calls to 1800 numbers in US. Last night, I called my US bank using Skype through their 1800 number and was put on hold for 30 minutes until representatives become available. Despite the long talk, the call cost me nothing. If I made the same call using my Thai mobile, it won't be free.

Did you do that using the new Skype version from an iOS device? From what I have heard, the new version is no longer capable of doing landline calls. Also, MS have stated that the no version no longer supports SMS.

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

Did you do that using the new Skype version from an iOS device? From what I have heard, the new version is no longer capable of doing landline calls. Also, MS have stated that the no version no longer supports SMS.

I updated the Skype iOS version to latest version last night and made the toll free call to a 1800 number in US. I haven't tried calling to normal land lines or send SMS though.

1 minute ago, sanmyintmaung said:

I updated the Skype iOS version to latest version last night and made the toll free call to a 1800 number in US. I haven't tried calling to normal land lines or send SMS though.

OK, thanks for the follow up. Microsoft did say in their support forum that they no longer support SMS, so that is out with the new version. Was just asking out of curiosity, as I deleted the new version on my iPhone. What a piece of difficult to use teenage style SnapChat copy junk that has also been stripped of so many features.

By the way, if you need to make calls to North American landlines, there are a lot apps out there which will do that for free. I am using Talkatone. They even assign you a personal US phone number that will ring in to your phone. For free, all you have to do is put up with some small, innocuous adverts and the very bottom of the display.

OK - we get the message that Skype for iOS is terrible now and was not great before.

But how about letting everyone know about the alternatives, especially the ones where you can call landlines and mobiles online. That way, we can hit Skype where it hurts most, in their wallet. For instance I have Wire but it won't call landlines or mobiles.

So, please, don't get angry - get even. Provide the names and details of all the relatively decent competitors that call landlines/mobiles (a comment or two about each would be great, including costs) and lets take it from there.

3 hours ago, humqdpf said:

OK - we get the message that Skype for iOS is terrible now and was not great before.

But how about letting everyone know about the alternatives, especially the ones where you can call landlines and mobiles online. That way, we can hit Skype where it hurts most, in their wallet. For instance I have Wire but it won't call landlines or mobiles.

So, please, don't get angry - get even. Provide the names and details of all the relatively decent competitors that call landlines/mobiles (a comment or two about each would be great, including costs) and lets take it from there.

OK, here's my solution after having ditched Skype:

For internet calls and texts, I preferably use Apple's built-in FaceTime. As this is fully integrated into the phone, and that is my preferred method, but of course not everyone else has an iPhone. For those who don't, I use WhatsApp and it seems everyone has that now. Recently I discovered SOMA, which I really like and is reported to be the best for audio and video under low bandwidth conditions, and also the most secure, but not many use it yet.

For calls to landlines and mobiles, I use Vonage, which is cheaper than Skype and audio quality is better. I am a business user, so yes I do need to call IDD to landlines and mobiles.

I have used Skype for years and the latest IOS version is ****. I deleted it and went back to a previous version and stopped auto updates so it is still working as before for me.

The main reason for using it was that I had a Skype number so my many friends who do not use anything other than phone can call me anywhere in the world. Do any others offer that service both on windows and IOS ?

8 hours ago, bubba said:

OK, here's my solution after having ditched Skype:

For internet calls and texts, I preferably use Apple's built-in FaceTime. As this is fully integrated into the phone, and that is my preferred method, but of course not everyone else has an iPhone. For those who don't, I use WhatsApp and it seems everyone has that now. Recently I discovered SOMA, which I really like and is reported to be the best for audio and video under low bandwidth conditions, and also the most secure, but not many use it yet.

For calls to landlines and mobiles, I use Vonage, which is cheaper than Skype and audio quality is better. I am a business user, so yes I do need to call IDD to landlines and mobiles.

I pay $3 Canadian a month for unlimited calls to North American landlines and cells from anywhere in the world. Audio quality has always been pretty good.

I had mentioned this earlier, but for calls to North America, I use Talkatone. Unlimited calls to North America are free. You also get an American phone number for anyone on a landline who would like to phone you on that.

But as Mikeheart was asking about something for both iOS and Windows, no Talkative only does iOS and Android.

Leave it to MS to screw it up. I have seen the update request pop up on the laptop but just close it. I will stay with the older version. If could not call land lines that be a deal.breaker for me.

On 7/19/2017 at 10:14 AM, sanmyintmaung said:

But a toll free call is still to a landline, isn't it?

23 hours ago, watcharacters said:

But a toll free call is still to a landline, isn't it?

Right, a toll free call to a 1800 number is actually a landline call that does not cost anything to user. I should rather say I haven't tried making land line calls that are not toll free using the new Skype iOS version.

3 hours ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Right, a toll free call to a 1800 number is actually a landline call that does not cost anything to user. I should rather say I haven't tried making land line calls that are not toll free using the new Skype iOS version.

I have so far not updated my Skype app and  I hope I don't have an issue when I call directly without using a 1800 number.    I guess I'll find out on my next attempt.

Good luck..

Skype has become unreliable across the board, i have it on Android phone, Ipad, Mac and PC and its shocking crap on all of them.

The problem is that there is no viable alternatives if you are a business with users in different countries who want to communicate quickly on different devices.

But man what an absolute POS it is now compared to before MS had it.

2008: Since I ditched Skype on my iPhone after Microsoft released that abysmal upgrade, I have all my business contacts in either WhatsApp (Android users mostly), or else in the native iMessages and FaceTime apps for iOS and MacOS users. I think those are fine alternatives.

2008: Since I ditched Skype on my iPhone after Microsoft released that abysmal upgrade, I have all my business contacts in either WhatsApp (Android users mostly), or else in the native iMessages and FaceTime apps for iOS and MacOS users. I think those are fine alternatives.

That's about all I use or need, iMessage/FT and WhatsApp. I haven't bothered making any paid calls on the new version of Skype yet.

Other apps like FB messenger are not the most secure form of communication and I refuse to install that app as it is directly linked to social media. Same as Line and others.

Archived