Barbers' closing days

bluesofa

Has anyone come across barbers that are closed regularly on Wednesdays?

For a few years now I have heard about not cutting hair on Wednesdays. Here in Issan it seems a lot of barbers close on Wednesdays.

Perhaps it's local to the area, but I gather it might be more widespread?

5 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Here in my area of Chiang Mai all the barbers and hair dressers are closed on Wednesdays... it's considered very bad luck to cut your hair on a Wednesday... no idea why.

Because if they have their hair cut on a Wednesday, it will shorten their life.

How do they know that? Because their mama told them so!

This is Thailand. Have a nice day.

I heard a Monk went to the barber for a haircut and he went bald, so Thai's are superstitious they will get bald, too. Closed on Wednesday, but here in Korat at least half the barbershops are open. In fact,

that's when I get a haircut. And no I have not gone bald!

Edited by tomwct
Add more detail.

14 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

It is considered unlucky,as Wednesdays were the days that criminals had their heads chopped off !
Thats what my wife told me.

So absolutely any day after that they wouldn't need their hair cutting anyway.

9 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

So if barbers close (none near us barbers that is) how come hairdressers dont close on a wednesdsy.

I don't know first-hand about hairdressers specifically, I started the thread as the barbers local to me close on Wednesdays.

However, if you look at this Wiki page about the lunar calendar, you can see there are three trades lumped together:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_lunar_calendar

Buddhist Sabbaths, colloquially called วันพระ, are the New, First-quarter, Full, and Third-quarter Moon-days. These are not normally days off (วันหยุด), except for butcher, barber, and beautician shops that observe the Eight Precepts.

There's more about it in this thread. See posts #9 & #10:

The reason i said hairdressers is we have no barber (specifically for men) around us 3 hairdressers 2 of which refuse to cut mens hair full stop. The one that will will only cut mens hair on a wednesday between 1700 and 1900.

4 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

The reason i said hairdressers is we have no barber (specifically for men) around us 3 hairdressers 2 of which refuse to cut mens hair full stop. The one that will will only cut mens hair on a wednesday between 1700 and 1900.

Even ignoring the alleged link between the two trades, it does seem odd why there's a very specific time limit when they will cut men's hair?

I thought that so asked, reason not worth doing mens hair money wise (30 to 50bht for mens cut 100bht up for womens cut, 500bht up for womens colour/straighten ect) pure economics. So she does it after she closes the saloon. And as Wednesday is her least busiest day for women thats the day she had chosen.

29 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

I thought that so asked, reason not worth doing mens hair money wise (30 to 50bht for mens cut 100bht up for womens cut, 500bht up for womens colour/straighten ect) pure economics. So she does it after she closes the saloon. And as Wednesday is her least busiest day for women thats the day she had chosen.

Interesting about the prices.

I don't know where you are, I'm in Udon. The village I live has two barbers. It must have been five or six years ago there was another one, which charged 30 Baht, but that closed. Not surprising at that price.

The one I go to now charges 80 Baht. Perhaps four years ago the price was 60 Baht, then went up to 70 Baht. Later,  the price increased another 10 Baht, with a sign in the shop explaining it was due to Thailand having joined ASEAN. Now that was baffling.

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

We are in Issan near KK. Most a man would pay is 50bht most would want it cheaper so mrs just refuses to cut mens hair. As she says to much hassle not enough money.

Yes, I follow that about not enough money.

I suppose if there's enough customers it's probably OK. My son goes to the barber that charges 40 Baht, although it's further away from our house, he goes on his bicycle.

At the 80 Baht shop where I go, there's always a steady stream of guys waiting in the queue. Quite often there can be four or five in front of you.

They must be keen on tidy hair in my area.