White spots on toenails.

Andrew Dwyer

I have, and have had for many years, white spots on 2 or 3 of my toenails.

IMG_3218.thumb.JPG.5d69058a9149f15e3dc4483888b2f628.JPG

My mother used to say it was lack of calcium.
My gf says it is bacteria.

For information:
I do wear socks around 4 days out of the week, prefer socks and trainers when driving, but always remove them when back home , so approximately wear socks for maybe 20 - 25 hours a week.

Rest of the time I wear sandals or flip flops.

Any ideas, remedies etc

Thanks Mosha, but mine are on toenails only and a lot of it is on the surface and can be removed by scraping.

My gf is currently giving me a pedicure, so I'll post an updated photo after she's finished .

The only sure means of reaching a diagnosis  is for scrapings, taken by a podiatrist, to be submitted for laboratory analysis. 

Yes, you're probably right, I was hoping it was a common thing and someone could recommend some remedy.
It doesn't bother me ( it's painless) and as I've said have had it for years so am not unduly worried but I will follow your advice if nobody has any suggestions.

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yes, you're probably right, I was hoping it was a common thing and someone could recommend some remedy.
It doesn't bother me ( it's painless) and as I've said have had it for years so am not unduly worried but I will follow your advice if nobody has any suggestions.

You may, in Thailand,  have a problem in locating a registered Podiatrist. If this proves to be the case then a Dermatologist could help. 

Toenail fungus is hard to treat, takes time. Terbinafine (toopical) is usual treatment and works better if applied after first scraping the top surface of the nail down, which needs to be done by a podiatrist. Also, it is hard to find topical terbinafine OTC.

Unfortunately there are very, very few podiatrists in Thailand.  I only know of one:

https://www.bnhhospital.com/health-library/foot-care-clinic/

I think he may also have  his own clinic somewhere, see if it says on his  FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/public/Cherdpong-Hansasuta

Toenail fungus is hard to treat, takes time. Terbinafine (toopical) is usual treatment and works better if applied after first scraping the top surface of the nail down, which needs to be done by a podiatrist. Also, it is hard to find topical terbinafine OTC.

Unfortunately there are very, very few podiatrists in Thailand.  I only know of one:

https://www.bnhhospital.com/health-library/foot-care-clinic/

I think he may also have  his own clinic somewhere, see if it says on his  FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/public/Cherdpong-Hansasuta

Thanks Sheryl, just says Podiatrist at Sriracha Hospital on his Facebook page.
Is that the hospital in the first link ?, it won't open for me.

No, that is Samitivej Sri Racha hospital, where he also is, but according to BNH website he is there once a week. Not sure why it doesn't open for you, does for me. However I note he does not show on the main bnh website doctor search function, so best to call them 02-686-2700

If you do manage to see him, please do me a favor and find out from him where else he works! He was at Bangkok hospital for years then left and has been elusive since then...thanks!

You can try. Along with vinegar soaks (contrary to what some will tell you, does not have to be apple cider vinegar...plaim cheap white vinegar is fine, it is the acidity that matters).

And avoid socks and closed toed shoes, fungi thrive in dark and damp.

Be warned that if it spreads you may lose the toenail in which case it will take a year to grow back.

If you haven't had your blood glucose checked in past year would be wise. Diabetics are especially prone to fungal infectiond.

You can try. Along with vinegar soaks (contrary to what some will tell you, does not have to be apple cider vinegar...plaim cheap white vinegar is fine, it is the acidity that matters).

And avoid socks and closed toed shoes, fungi thrive in dark and damp.

Be warned that if it spreads you may lose the toenail in which case it will take a year to grow back.

If you haven't had your blood glucose checked in past year would be wise. Diabetics are especially prone to fungal infectiond.

Thanks again Sheryl.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Heaps on google and yes, it appears to be a common thing.