Thailand Wants More Tourists Who Act Like Australians

webfact

Thailand Wants More Tourists Who Act Like Australians

By Sunil Jagtiani

- Nation shuns target for visitor numbers after years-long surge

- Focus instead is on boosting daily spending and length of stay

BANGKOK: -- Thailand is now so popular for holidays that almost 35 million foreign tourists -- equivalent to half the country’s population -- are expected this year.

As the influx gets harder to manage, the government is shifting strategy. It’s now targeting a minimum increase in tourism revenue of about 5 percent annually instead of a particular number of visitors, Tourism Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul said. That means encouraging longer stays and higher daily spending, a mix the typical Australian holidaymaker exemplifies, she said.

“Maybe they’re the ones who are like: this is my time -- I eat, I shop, and I eat, and I shop," Kobkarn, 56, said in an interview. Australian visitors were among the top 10 biggest spenders in terms of per capita daily expenditure last year, forking out 5,831 baht ($172), Tourism Ministry data shows.

Full story: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-16/spendthrift-aussies-embody-thailand-s-new-strategy-for-tourism

-- Bloomberg 2017-07-17

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

The Australian tourist.. like the wombat...he eats, roots and leaves...

Aussie's are decent folks....I'm from Florida & have met many. Been to OZ a few times.

Certainly beats Chinese tour buses.

You should try a breakfast buffet in Taiwan.

I got more elbows in my ribs than Dust Rhodes ever meted out in a lifetime.

I would like to know how they come up with the figures of how much people of different nationalities spend. Aussies 5,831 Baht, British 4,376. But hang on. I don't see a figure telling us how much the Chinese spend, or should that read don't spend.

12 minutes ago, Centrum said:

To make it really work for the Ozzies, you need to let the bars open at 10.00am and get rid of any stupid 'no sell alcohol' at this time or on this day.

And make sure they don't ride a motorcycle or drive a car.

:post-4641-1156694572:

I would like to know how they come up with the figures of how much people of different nationalities spend. Aussies 5,831 Baht, British 4,376. But hang on. I don't see a figure telling us how much the Chinese spend, or should that read don't spend.

Yeah, the Poms are cheap charlies. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Then it's time to make a hassle free 6 month tourist visa for those on leasehold property purchases without having to leave the country after 60 days...it will avoid these farangs spending in neighbouring countries during the forced exits from Thailand...!!!

Edited by observer90210

So after 4 years of everyon on tv saying that chinese dont spend money and its all bs the folks upstairs are finally just now figuring this out.

I guess now they might also realize that the crack downs have also made the other countrys who used to visit not to ever return.

Oh but after you commited western tourist suicide its a bit late. Or did the aussy not come here before and now they are the new great white wale of hope.

11 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Then it's time to make a hassle free 6 month tourist visa for those on leasehold property purchases without having to leave the country after 60 days...it will avoid these farangs spending in neighbouring countries during the forced exits from Thailand...!!!

That would cut down on the number of tourist entries entering the computer.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/os-bz-visit-florida-tourism-2016-story.html

According to this article, the state of Florida handles 113 million a year and Florida has a population of just 20 million. 

Thai officials should stop trying to control economic forces.  Little tiny tweaks are fine.  If they want to advertise more in Australia, that would probably be a reasonable thing to do. 

2 hours ago, Laza 45 said:

The Australian tourist.. like the wombat...he eats, roots and leaves...

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Is that per day/night, or week, or month.