Ethernet – Tot – Adsl

Daffy D

Hi All

Recently I upgraded from TOT dial-up to their 256/128 ADSL package. Not knowing much about these things I didn’t realise that I would also need an Ethernet / LAN card. (Are they the same thing?) :D

Needless to say the modem from TOT had instructions only in Thai and the installation CD was corrupted. The Ethernet / LAN card came with nothing so had to download drivers before anything else.

Eventually started to put the package together, plug in the card get it recognized by the system then the modem all plugged in and wired up.

Couldn’t get it working that day as the TOT engineer had to go and do something down the line to allow ADSL. But with the help of Ms D on the phone and the surprisingly helpful TOT staff got it up and running the next day.

The connection was a bit “iffy” the first few days but I guess that was due to the recent “earthquack” Now it is seems to be working fine, giving good readings on TV speed tests. Hope it stays that way. :o

My question is about the DNS Cache. If I right click on the LAN connection icon I get the option of “Repair local area connection” Or if I click on something else (forget what) I get “this connection is working OK but click repair if you want to check” or something like that.

So naturally I select the repair and a little window comes up going through a routine of clearing/checking stuff till it gets to “Windows could not finish repairing bla! bla! because the following action could not be completed :- Clearing DNS Cache.

So does anyone know where I can find this DNS cache that needs to be cleared? :D

I have Windows XP Pro Sp2.

SMC EZ Card 10/100 Ethernet PCI Adaptor

Xavia X7822r Modem

All help and information gratefully recived.

Thank you.

D.D. :D

Your local DNS cache can be cleared by (assuming Windows here):

Go to 'run" and type in command

A DOS box will pop up. type ipconfig/flushdns

This normally works. If it's not flushing check this;

Go to 'Run' and type services.msc

A box pops up, double click 'DNS Client', your startup type should be set to Automatic. If not, set it there.

And, yes, an ethernet/lan card are all the same. :o

Edited by cdnvic

I sometimes leave my computer on all night with heavy downloads.

Next morning I find that the browser refuses to find sites.

A quick ipconfig /flushdns usually cures the problem, but I am not really sure why.

It was on a list of actions to do, that I received from my ISP when I complained about poor performance.

Thanks for a speedy help. Where would we be without the kind helpful people on this forum?

The Run “ipconfig /flushdns” gave error message “ Could not flush DNS resolver cache: Function failed during execution”

Then checked the “services.msc” and changed the ‘DNS Client’ from manual to automatic that solved the problem.

Is the ‘flushdns’ something that should be done on a regular basis as "ASTRAL" does or will the ‘Automatic setting take care of it now?

Thanks Again

D.D. :o

at the risk of repeating previous posts...

if you are still having problems - verify your connection as follows

ipconfig /all

take note of the information displayed particularly your IP, DNS and your Default Gateway, then force an address release:

ipconfig /release

you should get 0.0.0.0 for each field, IP address, Default Gateway, DNS etc, then:

ipconfig /renew

you are now forcing a new DHCP request to your ISPs DHCP server, and you should see the new information displayed - dont be suprised if your IP is the same as before, but check if your DNS address is the same.

further problems particularly DNS are often solved as mentioned in previous threads, it sounds as though your Network Config is getting out of sink with your ISPs - forcing a flushdns is just a way for resetting and resyncing this. Dont forget that there are more than just 1 DNS server, they should be in-sync but arent always - dynamic DNS entries are being created and deleted constantly but this usually way up the line and out of users control.

should you feel the need to check the dns cache the following will display

ipconfig /displaydns

Edited by rio666uk

at the risk of repeating previous posts...

if you are still having problems - verify your connection as follows

ipconfig /all

take note of the information displayed particularly your IP, DNS and your Default Gateway, then force an address release:

ipconfig /release

you should get 0.0.0.0 for each field, IP address, Default Gateway, DNS etc, then:

ipconfig /renew

you are now forcing a new DHCP request to your ISPs DHCP server, and you should see the new information displayed - dont be suprised if your IP is the same as before, but check if your DNS address is the same.

further problems particularly DNS are often solved as mentioned in previous threads, it sounds as though your Network Config is getting out of sink with your ISPs - forcing a flushdns is just a way for resetting and resyncing this. Dont forget that there are more than just 1 DNS server, they should be in-sync but arent always - dynamic DNS entries are being created and deleted constantly but this usually way up the line and out of users control.

should you feel the need to check the dns cache the following will display

ipconfig /displaydns

Ops! You caught me in mid post, typing skills aren’t so fast. :D

My connection is actually working quite well with good readings on the TV speed test.

The computer apart from e-mails and surfing is a bit of a hobby with me and I sometimes get myself into dire situations by just by trying lots of things to see what they do. :o

I don’t like error messages and programs that don’t work properly so always try to find solutions usually by myself or failing that with help from this forum.

I'll run through your verify connections, guess it won’t do any harm, and will be something learned.

As I said my connection is working fine now though I am having trouble with Frostwire that suddenly stuck on ‘Starting Connection’ a few days ago. I have checked out their forums and quite a few others seem to be having the same problem but none of their solutions have worked for me so far. Funny thing is that the ‘Chat’ is still working so I am connecting just not getting any downloading connection. But I guess this is a slight hi-jack (can you hi-jack yourself?) :D Maybe will open another thread on this.

Thanks for your input, all information is appreciated.

D.D.

:D:D