Lpkthai.dll

p_brownstone

Some software which my daughter installed on my laptop computer on a recent visit (I think it was for the iPod which I was persuaded to buy for her) has caused a serious conflict with other programs I usually use.

I am running Win 98SE and now I keep getting program crashes which tell me I must close the program because there is a Kernel error caused by LPKTHAI.DLL , I can't even install a recently purchased Microtek scanner!

There is apparently a "hot fix" for this but when I called Microsoft here in Bangkok I find that the version of Windows which was installed in the Laptop when I bought it from the Toshiba agent in Panthip is a pirate version :o so they will not assist me.

I "googled" the problem but all the fixes I have found require me to venture into the land of DOS which I am not at all confident about attempting!

Can anyone help me with this - know where I can get the hot fix for example??

win98se? WOW! You should just go and buy a windows xp (pirated or not) somewhere and upgrade it. It would probably be easier.

Well I subscribe to the old school of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" .

OK - now of course one could say it's "broke" but not because of the inherent Windows 98SE OS, but a new program or application which my OS was not designed to accommodate - nor would I require it to in the normal run of my own computer usage.

I am certainly not what one would call a "power user" and I frankly doubt if most people are - however they get sucked in to the "a new version exists therefore I must upgrade" mentality to get all the bells and whistles of XP (or previous versions) which in the majority of cases are totally un-necessary for their day to day needs.

Also of course Virus writers no longer target my venerable Windows 98 SE so I am to a large extent immune from attempts to compromise my system.