How Much Sin-sod Did You Pay?

buddhafly

how much sin-sod did you pay?  

299 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Meemiathai, don't let them make you upset, it's not worth it. As I told before you cannot change a donkey into a horse. Once a donkey always a donkey. I remember donkeys having these eye-flaps so they could only look straight forward, how relevant on some posters here.... :o

Joe

Thanks Joe. No worries, I wasn't really angry at all. :D

Glad to hear that mate, cheers

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not me, the mother in law, but i guess you cant really call her a thai expert seeing as she is thai and has never left the place!

better to take the work of some old bald farang with a ''countryside'' wife :D

She probably realises her son- in- law is a tight wad, so is saying that to try and save face all round :D

Got to agree with you on this one, Jack. Exactly what was in my mind.

Agreed, it's obvious the family believe in Sinsod as earlier Leftcross quoted his girlfriend as saying no sinsod might be a problem with the family. I guess his girlfriend knew their position on it. :D

Can only assume that his Mother in law tried to save his face. Lefty didn't even notice being such a well trained farang husband, the type who only gets 'Thai culture' advice from the wife and the MIL :o.

actually if you read what i wrote you will see you have completely misunderstood what i was saying.

1 - i said to my gf i wouldnt pay a sinsod

2 - she said that didnt bother her.

3 - but, knowing how thai girls often agree with what you are saying to avoid confrontation i was prepared to meet her family and for them to disagree and demand one.

4 - i met the folks and the mother-in-law said 'we are not isaan we dont want a sinsod'

strange how many posters on here fail to acknowledge there are many different ways in thailand. i would just say to people thinking of getting married that you should folow your instinct on this one. i wasnt prepared to pay one under any circumstances.

What were you smoking last night? This post is completely different.

You say follow one's instinct I agree. So everyone is different. Why all the insults? :D

2 - she said that didnt bother her.
She said it might bother her family though.
4 - i met the folks and the mother-in-law said 'we are not isaan we dont want a sinsod'
Which is suprising because she must have known her family wouldn't want a Sinsod anyway because they are not from Issan, (which is a silly explanation anyway to anyone who knew anything). I think she made up the 'we are not from issan' story to save you a bit of face Lefty. :o

I guess the only other reason your MIL gave you this knowingly false information is because they are setting you up for the long term scam and trying to gain your trsut. Beware of any future land purchases Lefty and especially if they are followed by the lines 'Oh don't worry, it's perfectly safe for you own the land, we are not from Issan.' whistling:

oh dear, how many more times??? she didnt say it might bother her family. she said it would be ok. but i realise thai girls sometimes tell little half-truths to avoid confrontation. i was prepared for the parents' viewpoint to be different when i met them.

yes you are right, she made up the 'we are not isaan' bit. i should have realised they werent really from chiang rai (despite the fact i met them there) when they all turned up on buffalos then drank lao kho non-stop before munching through some str-fried stick insects they had in their pockets.

are you married to a thai girl bkk? do you actually have anything relevant to say on the topic of this thread?

touch a nerve?

Maddy wake up. If you haven't heard of it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I said it does happen Joe, but I don't think at common as you think where you can come on a forum and say it's allowed in Thailand to do this.
I have met 5 women who told me the same story, they all put their daughters to their mums, not for nothing right?

Ok, it's only 5 I know, not representative. But how is your stats?

I gave you my stats, I don't know any woman that would put with this.

And please, stop combining poor villages with uneducated people, I'm fed up with it. Those poor people do everything to let their children study so that they have a better life than their parents. Please pay a little respect.

Don't say I don't respect Thailand Joe, I've lived here 6-7 years and I wouldn't have if I didn't have respect for the culture and the people here. I put it down to a language barrier as to why you didn't understand that statement.

For your information, I know lots of people from villages that are educated. As a rule though poor villages tend to have more uneducated people.

This is not what I was saying at all though.

I was talking about the women that let their daughters be raped by new husbands are more often poor and uneducated. If they were wealthier and educated they would have more power to stop that happening.

I would guess that those 5 women you know are neither educated or 'wealthy' right? Well many Thai women are and would never allow that to happen, in fact some would regard your comments as a generalisation at best and an insult at worst so lets see you show a little respect.

Maddy wake up. If you haven't heard of it it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I said it does happen Joe, but I don't think at common as you think where you can come on a forum and say it's allowed in Thailand to do this.
I have met 5 women who told me the same story, they all put their daughters to their mums, not for nothing right?

Ok, it's only 5 I know, not representative. But how is your stats?

I gave you my stats, I don't know any woman that would put with this.
And please, stop combining poor villages with uneducated people, I'm fed up with it. Those poor people do everything to let their children study so that they have a better life than their parents. Please pay a little respect.

Don't say I don't respect Thailand Joe, I've lived here 6-7 years and I wouldn't have if I didn't have respect for the culture and the people here. I put it down to a language barrier as to why you didn't understand that statement.

For your information, I know lots of people from villages that are educated. As a rule though poor villages tend to have more uneducated people.

This is not what I was saying at all though.

I was talking about the women that let their daughters be raped by new husbands are more often poor and uneducated. If they were wealthier and educated they would have more power to stop that happening.

I would guess that those 5 women you know are neither educated or 'wealthy' right? Well many Thai women are and would never allow that to happen, in fact some would regard your comments as a generalisation at best and an insult at worst so lets see you show a little respect.

Maddy again, wake up. I didn't tell those women have their daughters raped. I told they make precautions and brought their daughters to their mums. So they didn't get raped! The 5 women I met are very well educated, those are the women who complain and talk about it, the less educated accept this misfortune. But still would every mother try to hide her daughter for a new husband, they would even deny they have a daughter. It's a painful situation, not legal, but real.

Maddy I didn't say you don't respect Thailand. Just your combination of poor villages with uneducated got me wrong, as I know what these poor people do to get their children have a good education and a better life.

I meant pay respect to those poor people, they do more than the hiso father sending his kids to a famous boarding school.

Joe

Maddy again, wake up. I didn't tell those women have their daughters raped. I told they make precautions and brought their daughters to their mums. So they didn't get raped!
Because they raped if they stayed with their Mum? Well only if the Mum allows it of course. If not they could prevent it.
Maddy I didn't say you don't respect Thailand. Just your combination of poor villages with uneducated got me wrong, as I know what these poor people do to get their children have a good education and a better life.

After living here so long I also have a reasonable idea on how hard it is for poor people to get an education. I don't need your expertise to tell me that.

I meant pay respect to those poor people, they do more than the hiso father sending his kids to a famous boarding school.

And I don't need your advice on who to respect either. Again I have learned who to respect on the basis of living in the country for so long and it certainly isn't given or taken away depending on their financial situation.

To be fair a hi so father that tries to give his children the best education needs to be respected as well don't you think? Something you might want to think about before dishing out advice.

Edited by bkkmadness

Maddy again, wake up. I didn't tell those women have their daughters raped. I told they make precautions and brought their daughters to their mums. So they didn't get raped!
Because they raped if they stayed with their Mum? Well only if the Mum allows it of course. If not they could prevent it.
After living here so long I also have a reasonable idea on how hard it is for poor people to get an education. I don't need your expertise to tell me that.

And I don't need your advice on who to respect either. Again I have learned who to respect on the basis of living in the country for so long and it certainly isn't given or taken away depending on their financial situation.

To be fair a hi so father that tries to give his children the best education needs to be respected as well don't you think? Something you might want to think about before dishing out advice.

why you got so moody? No need to. YOU combined poor villages with uneducated people, I protest as that is a wrong combination. There are highly educated people coming from poor villages. So please have it as two words: poor villages exist, uneducated people exist. (they also exist in BKK which is hardly called a poor village).

Women could prevent rape? Come on, thai men are easy with knives and guns.

What does the hiso father do more than pay? Not a lot usually.

Poor families reduce their food to be able to pay their childrens education. I ask your respect for that, without knowing them.

You ever been to a poor family? Being invited to have dinner? I did.

I was so embarrased as they had hardly food for themselves and I was eating there. I made it up silently by sending lots of food anonimously after that. This is what I mean. They give away their last food for a stranger, a farang.

Cheers, don't be moody, tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life, smile :o

Joe

YOU combined poor villages with uneducated people I protest as that is a wrong combination.
I would hazard a guess that most uneducated people live in villages.
There are highly educated people coming from poor villages.

Obviously.

Ok well before you was talking about women allowing new husbands to rape their children. Now you're talking about men forceably raping children at gunpoint. Is that what you meant when you said it was allowed? Men are allowed to rape children at gunpoint? :D

How many hi so fathers do you know? Did they not work for their money Show some respect for the rich as well as the poor in Thailand, since you don't know everyone yet. :o

Poor families reduce their food to be able to pay their childrens education. I ask your respect for that, without knowing them.
You don't need to ask for my respect it's already given. The fact that you keep asking me to respect people that I already do is getting a bit silly now.

:D :D :D

You gotta be kidding me, you had dinner with a poor Thai family once? I have numerous dinners, in fact just last week I was up in the village having dinner with poor Thai families.

Do you think after all these years I don't know any poor people? Incredible! I was cooking dinner in half a kitchen on boxing day because the other half floated off down the river in the recent floods. After the rains have come we go catching frogs for the next days breakfast.

I think my experience with poor people far outweighs yours Joe. :bah:

So now you have stepfathers raping children at gunpoint and you say maddy is characterising villagers wrong for his views linking impoverished villages with lower education levels? If this case is true what does sending the children to live with the grandmother do? Does grandpa not also know how to use a knife?

Once you have a bit more time in the country you will realize that the main reason grandparents are left the children is to give them a stable family environment while mom goes off to work in factories, on building sites, and yes, sometimes in a bar, none of which are suitable environments for children compared to a village with extended family, and an affordable school.

To quote my wife,,,,,"If you Farangs cannot respect the customs of Issan people then go set in your room and chuck wah, and leave the Issan ladies alone. :o

If that is a direct quote, well, my wifr would never say that altho uni grad and lawyer, she says it is bad talk

[/quaote]

Got to agree "BAD TALK" and sort of shocked even me. Then my wife is a "poor" Issan girl that is not even Thai but Suay, and sometime she get mad, and says things that are not nice...

She does have stong feeling about Sin Sot, and when I was reading these post to her, she was pretty agitated.

While my wife's family did not treat her as well as your wifes family did their daughts, it was more important for her being the oldest sister to take care of the younger rather than go to school many days. so very little formal education....but she is inteligent, which is really what matters....

Now when she visits her little village she sits like Than Puk, with young and old sitting around to hear her wisdom. It is why I decided to return to the village and pay a large sin sot, and have a village wedding, to enhance the standing in the village of her family. It was a good investment IMHO.

What is the old saying? You can take the girl out of the country, but you cannot take the country out of the girl...on a post somewhere I saw somebody comment about how beautiful there wife was when they did not dress like a maid...same here, she is still most comfortable wearing clothes around the house that she was brought up around in her little village.

Have I ever had dinner with poor people!

:o:D :D

Sorry Joe, such a funny thing to say I had to laugh again. You ever sat up all night at an illegal gambling den in the villages? Sat around and drunk lao khao for many a night eating dried fish?

I was playing snooker with some of the local lads the other day, on some tiny excuse of a table. 2 baht a pot were the high stakes! And don't even get me started on the bottle/tiger/shrimp card game we all gamble on 1 bahts on. :D

How long exactly have you spent in villages with poor people? How long have you spent in this country at all?

Once you have a bit more time in the country you will realize that the main reason grandparents are left the children is to give them a stable family environment while mom goes off to work in factories, on building sites, and yes, sometimes in a bar, none of which are suitable environments for children compared to a village with extended family, and an affordable school.

Happens in many relativly poor societies where there is an extended family.

Yes that's generally the reason, kids are left with their grandparents/friends so their Mums and Dads can still be able to go out to work. My own girlfriend stayed with her Grandma because of this, there was no fear of rape about it, just a logical solution. I don't know anybody who has had to hide their children away from a new husband for fear that he would rape the the children as gunpoint and of course be 'allowed' to do it.

I was so embarrased as they had hardly food for themselves and I was eating there. I made it up silently by sending lots of food anonimously after that.

Sorry but no Thai family I have ever heard of, regardless of how poor they where had a problem with enough food - After all it's pretty easy to catch frogs, crabs, beetles etc... and rice costs next to nothing. If they invited a farang for dinner and had no food then it just doesn't make sense, why would any Thai lose face by purposely inviting a farang to dinner and not having anay food? why invite you? In regards to education, 65%+ of the villagers can't even read Thai, how could you even suggest that the rate of education in Bangkok is teh same as a village where by 12 years old most kids are expected to be looking aftre family, farming etc...

YOU combined poor villages with uneducated people I protest as that is a wrong combination.
I would hazard a guess that most uneducated people live in villages.
There are highly educated people coming from poor villages.
Obviously.
Ok well before you was talking about women allowing new husbands to rape their children. Now you're talking about men forceably raping children at gunpoint. Is that what you meant when you said it was allowed? Men are allowed to rape children at gunpoint? :D
How many hi so fathers do you know? Did they not work for their money Show some respect for the rich as well as the poor in Thailand, since you don't know everyone yet. :o
You don't need to ask for my respect it's already given. The fact that you keep asking me to respect people that I already do is getting a bit silly now.
:D:bah::bah:

You gotta be kidding me, you had dinner with a poor Thai family once? I have numerous dinners, in fact just last week I was up in the village having dinner with poor Thai families.

Do you think after all these years I don't know any poor people? Incredible! I was cooking dinner in half a kitchen on boxing day because the other half floated off down the river in the recent floods. After the rains have come we go catching frogs for the next days breakfast.

I think my experience with poor people far outweighs yours Joe. :o

Great Maddy, I'm glad we are on the same side as far as poor people is concerned.

In detail:

Now you're talking about men forceably raping children at gunpoint. Is that what you meant when you said it was allowed? Men are allowed to rape children at gunpoint? :D

I never said that!!! I said it's reality that a new husband is allowed (takes the right) to have sex with daughters of the woman. If you noticed well I have repeated that women don't let them do this, not by fighting the men as they would lose, but by hiding their daughters.

How many hi so fathers do you know? Did they not work for their money Show some respect for the rich as well as the poor in Thailand, since you don't know everyone yet. :D

It might surprise you but I have thai friends in poor and in rich levels. The rich have no problems, study, motorbike, car, mansion, it's all there. No problem for me and yes, some rich people worked hard for it, respect. But they don't eat anything less for their kids study, they hardly feel it. Thats the difference with poor people. When I see students coming out of Udon university I know that the parents of a lot of them went to the bottom to have their child study...

Great Maddy! I admire you for that. I had it once because next time I took care that I was the one inviting them. Doesn't matter, we think the same.

Relax, Joe is not a bad guy ;)

I said it's reality that a new husband is allowed (takes the right) to have sex with daughters of the woman. If you noticed well I have repeated that women don't let them do this, not by fighting the men as they would lose, but by hiding their daughters.

Could a Thai person on this forum please comment on this? I've shown it to two so far and they can't believe his ignorance. Joe, you may not be a bad guy, but you are woefully ill-informed about Thailand.

I was so embarrased as they had hardly food for themselves and I was eating there. I made it up silently by sending lots of food anonimously after that.

Sorry but no Thai family I have ever heard of, regardless of how poor they where had a problem with enough food - After all it's pretty easy to catch frogs, crabs, beetles etc... and rice costs next to nothing. If they invited a farang for dinner and had no food then it just doesn't make sense, why would any Thai lose face by purposely inviting a farang to dinner and not having anay food? why invite you? In regards to education, 65%+ of the villagers can't even read Thai, how could you even suggest that the rate of education in Bangkok is teh same as a village where by 12 years old most kids are expected to be looking aftre family, farming etc...

You should learn the difference between not any food and hardly any food. I meant they spent all they had on that day with me and my wife. Maybe you find it normal, I was embarrassed, I felt guilty. The way you talk about poor people gives me goose pimples, go away!

I didn't say the level of education in BKK is the same! Read and understand! I said poor villages is one word, uneducated people is another word, they even exist in BKK, which is true, ok?

You've been to all poor villages to know the percentage of people who cannot read thai? Maybe they speak Lao, Suay or Khmer. Remember that Lao is spoken by 19 million people in Isaan, so be careful with your unfounded remarks as an "expert".

The way you confuse no and hardly gives me the right idea about your skills.

Joe

I said it's reality that a new husband is allowed (takes the right) to have sex with daughters of the woman. If you noticed well I have repeated that women don't let them do this, not by fighting the men as they would lose, but by hiding their daughters.

Could a Thai person on this forum please comment on this? I've shown it to two so far and they can't believe his ignorance. Joe, you may not be a bad guy, but you are woefully ill-informed about Thailand.

I'm informed by the "inner" Thais, who would usually keep this for them. I'm priviledged to have been accepted by the people in my village, the advantage is that they tell me things they would never tell "just" farangs.

Joe

I never said that!!! I said it's reality that a new husband is allowed (takes the right) to have sex with daughters of the woman. If you noticed well I have repeated that women don't let them do this, not by fighting the men as they would lose, but by hiding their daughters.
What you said was this exactly.
You know that the new (thai) husband of a divorced woman with kids is allowed to have sex with her daughter(s) no matter how old?

Then you started talking about Thai guys raping children at gunpoint (hence the mother can't protect them). Who did you mean it was allowed by? The people in the village? The mother? Surely not the rapist himself because of course he allows himself to do it. Rape by gunpoint is not 'allowed' in Thailand by most people I would have thought. Rape of step children isn't either, though of course it does go on, as murder goes on, and drug dealing goes on etc. I take it by 'allowed' you mean 'accepted' or something along those lines right?

Great Maddy! I admire you for that.

You don't have to admire me for eating with poor people Joe, I'm pretty poor myself and it's all family and friends and we all need to eat. It wasn't a sacrifice for me or anything like that, just day to day life in the village.

Now you're talking about men forceably raping children at gunpoint. Is that what you meant when you said it was allowed? Men are allowed to rape children at gunpoint? :o

Joe, in no way shape or form that any new husband (takes the right) to have sex with daughters of the woman. It may happen from time to time, but to say this is allowed is just not true IMO.

Just wondering as well, how exactly did you send food anonymously Joe?

I don't see the importance, but I paid the aunt of my wife, living near the people, to buy food and deliver. They must have thought it came from me but officially nobody knew.

I'm informed by the "inner" Thais, who would usually keep this for them. I'm priviledged to have been accepted by the people in my village, the advantage is that they tell me things they would never tell "just" farangs.

Joe

To be fair Joe I just asked my gf about this earlier as well and she couldn't believe your ignorance either

How long have you known these inner Thais and how long have you spent in the village?

I'd be curious to know since you seem to be able to get information that is apparently hidden from the rest of us 'just' farangs.

Edited by bkkmadness

Now you're talking about men forceably raping children at gunpoint. Is that what you meant when you said it was allowed? Men are allowed to rape children at gunpoint? :o

Joe, in no way shape or form that any new husband (takes the right) to have sex with daughters of the woman. It may happen from time to time, but to say this is allowed is just not true IMO.

Chuchok, I asked Maddy to give me another word for allowed, I realise it's not the right word to cover the meaning, you guys help me, I'm a poor dutchman. It happens as you say, and it is more or less reality or at least fear for the women, so they hide their daughters.

I can't help it, I have heard it several times, so it's part of reality.

Joe

Just wondering as well, how exactly did you send food anonymously Joe?

I don't see the importance, but I paid the aunt of my wife, living near the people, to buy food and deliver. They must have thought it came from me but officially nobody knew.

No importance Joe, just curious. I was practicing my no hands motorbike riding about 5 kms from my gfs grandmas home on her bike and got caught out on it when I got back. Nothings anonymous in the village! :o

Joe

To be fair Joe I just asked my gf about this earlier as well and she couldn't believe your ignorance either

How long have you known these inner Thais and how long have you spent in the village?

I'd be curious to know since you seem to be able to get information that is apparently hidden from the rest of us 'just' farangs.

I don't like your ironic tone so I will withdraw. I tried to be nice and friendly, you got upset and now you try to make me a fool with help of your girlfriend, whatever that means. Remember one thing: if you don't know something it does not mean I am ignorant, it means you don't know!!

A shame, I thought you had a higher level.

Cheers

Joe

Chuchok, I asked Maddy to give me another word for allowed, I realise it's not the right word to cover the meaning, you guys help me, I'm a poor dutchman. It happens as you say, and it is more or less reality or at least fear for the women, so they hide their daughters.

I can't help it, I have heard it several times, so it's part of reality.

Joe

Joe,

It might be a part of reality for a very,very small part of the population,but it is def not the norm.Same goes for the part about woman being unable to divorce their husbands.

I don't like your ironic tone so I will withdraw. I tried to be nice and friendly, you got upset and now you try to make me a fool with help of your girlfriend, whatever that means. Remember one thing: if you don't know something it does not mean I am ignorant, it means you don't know!!

Sounds more like he asked you a pointed question and realising that you are over your head, and your story is starting to unravel, you are now running away from a story you can no longer support.

Maybe the secret Thais can help you out next time. :o

Joe

Cheers

Joe

The ironic tone was because you have quite a patronising tone Joe. I offered my gfs opinion only as a Thai persons opinion which cdnvic was asking about.

I would like to know how long you have spent in the village and in Thailand though?

The reason I ask is because you say you have been accepted by the village by the inner Thais. This would take months/years so just trying to gauge the validity of your claim of acceptance and thus the information you received because of this.

Not too bad of a question is it?

Edited by bkkmadness