Need to buy cable to connect wifi TP-Link-TL-WN722N to Phone.

tomx2

Hi.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction, I'm a newbie at this.

For the past year I have been connecting my Laptop to Linux using a wifi external adapter dongle called TP-Link TL-WN722N. My laptop wifi card is not compatible for linux. Everything is working fine so far.

Now I want to expand my linux knowledge and connect my LineageOS (formally One Plus One) phone to Linux  flashing ROM Nethunter.

I would like to use the same wifi adapter (TP-Link TL-WN722N) as my external wireless card.

I am a little confused regarding what hardware cable to order connecting my OPO Phone to the external wifi dongle.

Here's what I read on the net.

- I should get a USB Host OTG connector cable.

- I should get a micro USB OTG Y cable for more power.

- The phone must be Host mode support.

- One end of the cable should be a male micro-B usb plug, the other a female usb-A.

I've looked on Amazon, but not quite sure if i am ordering the correct USB cable. Compatibility wise, I should be ok having Android 7.1. Selling price appears to be very cheap under $10.00.

If this will help, the cable line plugged into TP-Link-TL-WN722N will accept 4 pins.

Can someone please send me a link regarding what is the best hardware cable to order?

I believe I have the necessary drivers on my OPO phone to download.

BTW: I did try attaching the standard cable, coming with all Phones w/o luck.

Thanks.

TC.

I would think your OPO Phone already has, built-in, an internal wifi "dongle".

Therefore, without an additional adaptor, you should be able to pickup the SSID of the Wireless Access Point / Wireless Router (Linux?) and initiate a connection.

Your post is a bit confusing as you seem to be talking about two different things.

I understand that you are using the air card directly connected (assumed by USB) to your laptop.  What Linux does in this instance is change the settings of the air card using usb-modeswitch.  I don't know if that disables the internal Wifi radio of your card or not.  You have to check that out by looking for the SSID (wifi name) with your phone.  If you're not comfortable doing that manually, you can switch the air card off and tell your phone to scan for wifi.  Switch it back on and scan again.  If a new access point comes up that is most likely your air card.

If the card's wifi is disabled, you can actually share your internet connection via your Linux box.  However you stated that your wifi card is not supported under Linux.  Luckily there's a lot of usb wifi cards that are plug and play.  Here's a list from Debian: https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi .  You then essentially turn your computer in an access point; the following page has a pretty easy description.  https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/297151/share-wifi-creating-hotspot-on-linux-mint .

On to your flashing questions.  I have never used an USB-OTG cable to flash phones/tablets.  Granted that was with Samsung and Asus products but it doesn't make sense to require it.  OTG is a 'system' to allow a mobile device to take control of peripherals.  The phone goes into 'host' mode and can than control sound cards, storage, input devices, etc.  This is 180 degrees away from the usual actions that mobile devices take where they are controlled by the other device.  And you want the mobile to be controlled by the other device so that ADB can push the necessary files and other actions.

This is reinforced due to the requirements that you are talking about.  The "Y" cable for more power and the "A female" implies that you are thinking about plugging in a high draw device that you want the phone to control.

@RandomSand

Somewhere I read,  I probably can get a connection to linux using my OPO internal wifi card, but cannot go into monitor mode and perform packet injection using this same card.

@Dave_boo

I'm sorry I was not clear in my question. I'll try to explain better.

I have a Laptop Xps13. The wifi card installed does not support Monitor mode. Iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor cannot be performed with the internal xps13 wifi card.

I purchased TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi external adapter a year ago.

This works great when I need to connect to Linux and go into monitor mode iwconfig wlan1 mode monitor. I plug the TP link into the USB port and I'm ready to enter Linux commands. BTW: My internal wifi card (wlan0) is ignored or disabled (as you correctly stated) during the connection with wlan1 TP-link air card.

I have a One Plus One rooted phone. I am thinking of Installing NetHunter for Linux when I return to New York from Thailand. Most of the articles I've read claim OPO phones works great using Nethunter (linux) and TL-WN722N wifi adapter is compatible with NetHunter (Linux) when going into monitor mode.

Since I already own TP-Link-TL-WN722N wifi adapter (used for my PC connection into Linux), why not use the same adapter when I want to access Linux & enter commands on my One Plus One phone. I'm not speaking of using the TP link at the same time for my PC & phone. Just when I logoff the PC, I may want to connect to the OPO Nethunter (linux).

As I stated above, I can connect the wifi TP Link adapter to my xps13 laptop via plug into USB port. But this same TP-Link cable cannot physically be connected to my OPO Phone. Since the plug-in end is for a USB hub.

I need(what I read) a OTG Host Cable to physically connect my OPO Phone with the TP Link wifi adapter.

My question to the forum was, can anyone recommend a solid OTG Host cable?

I've attached a link showing a OTG Cable from Amazon. Will this connect to my TP Link.?

“” www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Galaxy-Samsung/dp/B00CXAC1ZW “ “

As I stated in my first Post, my wifi adapter appear to have 4 pins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TC.

6 hours ago, tomx2 said:

@RandomSand

Somewhere I read,  I probably can get a connection to linux using my OPO internal wifi card, but cannot go into monitor mode and perform packet injection using this same card.

@Dave_boo

I'm sorry I was not clear in my question. I'll try to explain better.

I have a Laptop Xps13. The wifi card installed does not support Monitor mode. Iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor cannot be performed with the internal xps13 wifi card.

I purchased TP-Link TL-WN722N wifi external adapter a year ago.

This works great when I need to connect to Linux and go into monitor mode iwconfig wlan1 mode monitor. I plug the TP link into the USB port and I'm ready to enter Linux commands. BTW: My internal wifi card (wlan0) is ignored or disabled (as you correctly stated) during the connection with wlan1 TP-link air card.

I have a One Plus One rooted phone. I am thinking of Installing NetHunter for Linux when I return to New York from Thailand. Most of the articles I've read claim OPO phones works great using Nethunter (linux) and TL-WN722N wifi adapter is compatible with NetHunter (Linux) when going into monitor mode.

Since I already own TP-Link-TL-WN722N wifi adapter (used for my PC connection into Linux), why not use the same adapter when I want to access Linux & enter commands on my One Plus One phone. I'm not speaking of using the TP link at the same time for my PC & phone. Just when I logoff the PC, I may want to connect to the OPO Nethunter (linux).

As I stated above, I can connect the wifi TP Link adapter to my xps13 laptop via plug into USB port. But this same TP-Link cable cannot physically be connected to my OPO Phone. Since the plug-in end is for a USB hub.

I need(what I read) a OTG Host Cable to physically connect my OPO Phone with the TP Link wifi adapter.

My question to the forum was, can anyone recommend a solid OTG Host cable?

I've attached a link showing a OTG Cable from Amazon. Will this connect to my TP Link.?

“” www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Power-Galaxy-Samsung/dp/B00CXAC1ZW “ “

As I stated in my first Post, my wifi adapter appear to have 4 pins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TC.

First I offer my apology.  I had been using a 'puck' (mifi or wireless hotspot) for so long that is what was stuck in my head.

The USB OTG cable you linked to should work for what you are trying to do.  You're probably going to want to get a power bank and a shortish A male to micro male to provide power to that female micro.

My experience with USB OTG cables is strictly getting external DACs up and running.  It was a headache from hell back in the day and after good DAPs became available I dropped the notion.  As I recall, in the micro male connector two pins are shorted out and that's what causes the phone to go into host mode.  In order to add external devices, you must have it.

Archived