UK soap star's four million baht Thai hospital bill - yet more fiction from "The Sun"

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Arandora said:

This topic has become confused between a visitor needing expensive medical treatment which he should have taken out travel insurance including appropriate levels of medical insurance which the vast majority of responsible travellers do and ex pats living in Thailand and paying for ongoing medical bills which is an entirely different matter. 

The point about elderly visitors not being able to get cover for Pre Existing Medical Conditions at home is not true certainly as far as myself and my wife, both 70 spending 4 months every year in Thailand and both with not inconsiderable PEMCs which are more than adequately covered at a not unreasonable extra premium on the insurance through our Nationwide bank account. I appreciate that is different in Thailand. 

Yes there is without doubt a considerable difference between tourists and expats. Getting travel insurance is not that difficult as you say.

The question is whether the Thai immigration lords have any knowledge of that, or indeed care.

:jap:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 7/20/2017 at 10:38 AM, observer90210 said:

Was he that stupid to go abroad without medical/accident insurance coverage?

Will some people once again be all that stupid and fund recklessness and carelessness of others?

Another reason for the hassles to come up regarding medical/accident insurance coverage at arrivals by immigration,  towards tourists/visitors/expats anybody entering the country...thanks to such people, assuming of course that he is not covered.

I don't want to enforce smart actions, and I am not a big fan of government involvement, but I would support somebody  having to initial or sign off on a disclaimer or warning before traveling about not having medical or travel insurance.  At least it would be an effort to more strongly urge people to do some preparation

Edited by gk10002000
addition

On 7/23/2017 at 8:42 AM, Arandora said:

So what! US shows and their stars are not paid for as a tax, called the TV Licence in the UK, which is how the BBC and its "stars" are funded. Paul Nicholls is not starring currently in a BBC show. No excuse for him not having or being able to afford travel/medical insurance.

Yes, and the TV tax is the only reason BBC was able to follow CNN's lead as a 24-hour news service.

2 hours ago, Dustdevil said:

Yes, and the TV tax is the only reason BBC was able to follow CNN's lead as a 24-hour news service.

I think you need to read the history of 24 hour news services instead of trying to rewrite it. 

On 21/07/2017 at 6:27 AM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I understand that in the UK, an expat is only eligible for free treatment there if he is able to prove that his return to the country is on a permanent basis.  

An expat cannot return to the UK just to get free medical treatment, but of course they still tax you on all UK earnings just the same as if you are resident there, despite limiting the State Pension to its original starting level and the fact that you are unable to avail yourself of any of the usual benefits claimed by UK residents.

Just testing those waters now. Had treatment in BKK hospital for thrombosis. In my ungainly haste to leave LoS I left my Orafrin behind, now have to wait one full week to get an appointment at doctors ( that's going to go well wi th the blood clot) and then cough up £65 just to see a doctor. 

I estimate having contributed far more than the average UK resident into the NHS over the years but hey, we have to support a whole new raft of non contributing leeches now so let's <deleted> over the rich ( as if I was)  or is it let's <deleted> over the few remaining indig who pay taxes...........

Edited by The Dark Lord

On 21/07/2017 at 8:51 AM, animatic said:

The reporting is uniformly wrong from almost every source stated here, and the assumptions drawn here are even farther from the truth, including that saving face doctor's comments.

The last two comments above are truly off-base and total foolishness...

You would think people would pride themselves on being actually informed before speaking publicly...

Guess not.

43.000 he was charged at 13000 a night plus  medice

On 21/07/2017 at 7:15 PM, the guest said:

It's about time mandatory insurance should be introduced for all foreigners. 

And why not also introduce it for all Thai people, too? Wouldn't want poor people who can't afford to pay clogging up the clinics and hospitals.

It sounds like he was in a lot of pain for a long while - sorry for that.  He's used to the Brit system, where every hospital stay is paid for by the State.  He should bite the bullet and pay what's owed.

Anyhow, 4 years ago, I fell thru a roof.  Broke a wrist, shattered the other wrist, and broke a heel bone clean in half. I got to a Thai hospital (2 neighbors tossed me in the back of a p.u. truck).  The bill was 160k baht.  I paid it. I had 30k (full amount allowable) deductible from a Bkk Bank accident insurance policy.  

Note: the only break in my skin was at my ankle, but the hospital put an IV in my arm and wanted to inject me with heavy doses of antibiotics each 12 hrs.  I refused several times.  I got rebuked by 2 doctors.  Getting injected with antibiotics in a Thai hospital can be deadly.  It happened to a Thai friend of mine (he went in for a minor ailment, and exited in a coffin).   The two times I got injected, I felt the life sapping out of me.   That's why I turned down further injections.   I tried pleading with them to halve the amount of antibiotic in each injection, but you know Thais.  They think they always know best.   I'm alive writing this - possibly because I turned down several attempts by hospital staff to inject.

This is from the Daily Mail

" British embassy officials have been in contact with Nicholls and are likely to arrange for the actor to fly to Bangkok where he will be assessed at another hospital. "

That statement cannot possibly be true! British embassy officials do not run around looking after tourists who can't / won't pay their hospital bills.