Boy's 100 kilometer cycle trip to see dad in prison touches the hearts of Thais online

webfact

Boy's 100 kilometer cycle trip to see dad in prison touches the hearts of Thais online

4pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

A touching story of a long bicycle trip by two north eastern boys intent on seeing their imprisoned dad tugged at the heartstrings of Thais online.

Even though the boys journey ended in them not seeing their father they were still sent on their way back home happy after the kindness of a prison worker.

The story was posted by Apichai Manthong on Facebook. He is responsible for security out front of the prison in Sisaket.

The young brothers told Apichai that they had left their home in the village of Ban Non Khoon at 7.30 am and it was now 12.10pm. They had cycled 50 kilometers and one of the boys had dropped his phone and smashed it.

But he was ok because he could still use it.

The boys asked to see their dad but they were set to be disappointed as it was not a visiting day.

However at that point an official came out of the prison and kindly let them look at a picture of their dad in a record book and the boys were thrilled to discover their father's release date.

Apichai said he was on the verge of tears as he spoke to the lovely boys. They told him that their mum had gone to work in Bangkok and they were being looked after by gran.

It was a school holiday so they had decided to cycle over to see their dad who they loved and missed very much.

Apichai gave them 100 baht each so they could buy lunch and filled up their empty water bottles before bidding them farewell for the long cycle home.

He appealed to their relatives on Facebook to bring them to the prison next time as it was a long and perilous journey on the roads.

Netizens commented on the story with the majority saying what a pity it was that the children had not been able to see their dad after such a trek.

Tnews did not report what the father had been jailed for or when he would be released.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-07-21

" Apichai gave them 100 baht each so they could buy lunch and filled up their empty water bottles before bidding them farewell for the long cycle home. "

IMO this prison-officer should be promoted, or at least recognised in someway, for his humanity & having given the boys practical help like this !  A good example for others to follow !  :jap:

Fantastic story. Surely the prison could have made an exception, but nevertheless the kindness office the security guard is to be applauded. Those 2 boys did well to cycle 50 kms in under 5 hours, but they will never forget their adventure and the kindness shown to them. I hope that their father realises how lucky he is to have such loving sons and turns his life around by not breaking the law again.

Sent from my Lenovo A3000-H using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

" Apichai gave them 100 baht each so they could buy lunch and filled up their empty water bottles before bidding them farewell for the long cycle home. "

IMO this prison-officer should be promoted, or at least recognised in someway, for his humanity & having given the boys practical help like this !  A good example for others to follow !  :jap:

He should have given them a ride home & tanned their hides for riding bicycles on the road......Of Thailand.

I was about 7 or 8 & had a bicycle out on the road in rural Florida. Mom caught me & scolded me quite harshly. Said if Dad had seen me on the road with a bicycle I'd probably wish I'd been run over.

1 minute ago, jaywalker said:

He should have given them a ride home & tanned their hides for riding bicycles on the road......Of Thailand.

I was about 7 or 8 & had a bicycle out on the road in rural Florida. Mom caught me & scolded me quite harshly. Said if Dad had seen me on the road with a bicycle I'd probably wish I'd been run over.

You appear to assume that he has a vehicle, to get them and their bikes home, and also that he can leave work when he feels like it ?

I'd also doubt that he has the right to physically-punish someone-else's kids, wouldn't that be assault ?

So let me get that straight: 2 little boys rode 50km on their shoddy bicyles, to see their father and the prison could not make an exception for them?

Also: they sent them back home 50km on their bikes, instead of sending them by taxi?

Isn't it amazing, how Thais just love their children?!

:coffee1:

It's a great story when looking at the kids' actions. They wanted to see their dad so they rode for so long. As far as the adults and the authorities here, sorry, but they shouldn't have been allowed to get on their bikes to go back on these very dangerous roads. 

8 minutes ago, Ricardo said:

You appear to assume that he has a vehicle, to get them and their bikes home, and also that he can leave work when he feels like it ?

I'd also doubt that he has the right to physically-punish someone-else's kids, wouldn't that be assault ?

I appear to assume that the kids would be safer.....somehow, if they were taught a lesson in safety.

Trust me. I could never beat a kid, but crimony! Beating their asses has to be a better option than giving them 100 baht & wishing them luck on bicycles in Thailand!

He could have (theoretically) called a cop to take them home. It's what would probably happen in a civilized country......But then the cop would shake down their mother for gas money probably in Thailand.

Accepting that the all the details in the article are correct I'm just a little perplexed that that poor buggers weren't allowed to see their father. I expect the guys they dealt with are at the bottom of the heap and  would never think to bend the rules. (A cynic might say that would all change if an appropriate bribe was arranged)

Edited by MCos

56 minutes ago, inThailand said:

A touching story indeed. Just to be ruined by some grumpy TV posters.

Aha!

Care to explain your dumb post?

What is touching, is the part of the boys, driving for 50km to see their dad!

The rest is heartless, irresponsible and downright bad!

Nothing to do with "being grumpy"!

1 hour ago, Juan B Tong said:

Great reporting.  Just forgot a little detail, like the age of the boys.

And great parenting.  Papa in jail and moma forgetting a little detail, like where the boys are.

"moma forgetting a little detail  ..."

According to the OP  "They told him that their mum had gone to work in Bangkok and they were being looked after by gran."

9 hours ago, Ricardo said:

Don't get too serious, It was just a comment.. 

I wonder if their dad was told about the visit. He'd have been gutted about not seeing them, but probably filled with pride at the same time.

And what a lovely gesture from the officer. Perhaps one of the farangs living nearby could slip him a couple of thousand baht as a thank you from the community. I would if I lived near there.

It's a shame the haters on TVF can't see the good in this story...:post-4641-1156694606:

6 hours ago, inThailand said:

A touching story indeed. Just to be ruined by some grumpy TV posters.

What's touching is guys like my brother-in-law, who works his tail off, has 3 kids & has never been to jail, but then we never hear reports about a building that's not burning do we?

My point is, this wouldn't have happened if the kids' father had never gone to jail in the first place.

30 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

What's touching is guys like my brother-in-law, who works his tail off, has 3 kids & has never been to jail, but then we never hear reports about a building that's not burning do we?

My point is, this wouldn't have happened if the kids' father had never gone to jail in the first place.

The outpouring of love is for the kids and the officer, not the father.  We don't know what the father did to end up in jail, so we can't pass judgement on that.

Your point is a moot one.  I mean, should we not commend war heroes because there shouldn't be a war in the first place?

Edited by CG1 Blue
typo

10 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

The outpouring of love is for the kids and the officer, not the father.  We don't know what the father did to end up in jail, so we can't pass judgement on that.

Your point is a moot one.  I mean, should we not commend war heroes because there shouldn't be a war in the first place?

Fair point Mate!

Of course we don't know what their father was in jail for, and how much longer he was there for, - but, If I were in charge (yes I know) and it was at all possible, I would have paroled him , and told him to take the boys home, sort himself out and stay out of trouble.

Edited by JAG