Insurance renewal reduction for dashcam

cooked

Has anyone managed to get the reduction in annual premiums based on the fact that a dash cam is installed?

This was in the news at the beginning of the year and it was stated that insurance companies must comply. My insurance renewal willbe coming up soon so I want to be prepared.

It seems to m,e that it would be so easy to borrow a friend's dashcam to obtain the reduction that this would be unworkable unless a permanent installation was done.

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I got my discount.

The agent took photos of the installed dashcam working, and a copy of the invoice with my name on it.

Invoice... ah... shit.I have email correspondence with Lazda, maybe that'll do it.

How much did you get if I may ask?

15 minutes ago, cooked said:

It seems to m,e that it would be so easy to borrow a friend's dashcam to obtain the reduction that this would be unworkable unless a permanent installation was done.

Don't think you could get away with that.

Any accident they would want to see the cam footage, If you say I just forgot to fit it today or Oops! I forgot to turn it on they could invalidate a claim.

On 7/21/2017 at 9:23 AM, KittenKong said:

I got my discount.

The agent took photos of the installed dashcam working, and a copy of the invoice with my name on it.

Hi,

How did you manage it?.. I mean, you got your quote and then informed them that you have a dashcam and got a further 5%?

We have had a rep from a different company quote us (cold calling) and then when my wife said we had a dashcam, the rep said the price quoted was with dashcam discount..though they wouldn't know if we had one or not.

Just curious how you went about it as ours is due early August.

I am guessing your did not change insurance companies.

Thank you.

29 minutes ago, james.d said:

How did you manage it?.. I mean, you got your quote and then informed them that you have a dashcam and got a further 5%?

We have had a rep from a different company quote us (cold calling) and then when my wife said we had a dashcam, the rep said the price quoted was with dashcam discount..though they wouldn't know if we had one or not.

Just curious how you went about it as ours is due early August.

I am guessing your did not change insurance companies.

The agent handled it. She took a couple of photos of the working installed device and a copy of the invoice and forwarded them to the company. I will be getting my discount at the next renewal (according to her, but she has never told me anything untrue in the last 4 years). It renews in a few weeks so I will know for certain then.

Doesnt really matter much as I fitted the dashcam because I wanted one, not for the discount which is entirely secondary. I pay under 10,000B for my first class insurance anyway (50% no-claims), so 5% is not going to be a life-changing event.

Archived