Removal of stall-holders on Loi Kroh @ Night bazaar

Chiengmaijoe

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, JaseTheBass said:

Hopefully all the footpath markets will be a thing of the past soon as they are a pain to both pedestrians and motorists wherever they're set up.

They (footpath markets) are not a pain to their customers.  These stalls are part of the culture and one of the many reason tourists come to CM.

It is part of the 'charm' of the city!

Resident motorists can always use their local knowledge to find a route that suits them better if they wish to try! (and lessen the pollution in the tourist areas).

As a confirmed pedestrian I can state I have no problem walking the market stall areas.

Slightly off topic but I still think my following question is relevant in view of the comments above regarding stalls being anti traffic, anti pedestrian and anti customer enjoyment(inside bars etc).

Are those of you complaining of the above stalls also against the closure of certain streets to become ‘walking streets’ over the weekends and festivals and/or should all stall and street vendors be banned for your selfish pleasure?

Edited by scottiejohn

"Are those of you complaining of the above stalls also against the closure of certain streets to become ‘walking streets’ over the weekends and festivals and/or should all stall and street vendors be banned for your selfish pleasure?"

Nothing wrong with closing a reasonably quiet road on a Sunday to have a walking street, but they will close any road however busy on any given day. Or better still, don't close the road and have triple parked cars screwing up the traffic flow.

Sent from my R2D2 droid using my C3P0 manservant

Never ceases to amaze me.  Some of the things that people gripe about are and have been in place/operation for years and years.   Most surely in place when the gripers decided to move here.  But hey,  move here under those conditions and then gripe about and want them changed to their comfort and satisfaction.  Makes you want to shout out, " Hey , who died and left you king of the world".  To those gripers, you do know what the answer to your plight is....... of course you do.

Yes   it  came with the Farung Invasion around 2005  (The Do  Gooders ,and Whingers) bringing their own personal luggage of  ??? to C/mai

they simply cannot adjust to the Thai  Way  of life, a very sorry poor bunch of expats  E/S must say,they don,t know how lucky they are

all have a nice evening

Edited by evenstevens

I think the local government is trying to get rid of street stalls on pavements.  The market near me in San Sai has had food carts and stalls out side the main market facing the main road for over 10 years.  Last week they have all been moved off... about 25 stalls I think, to the back of the main market building.

Feel a bit sorry for them as the passing traffic now have no idea there are food stalls there.  They are going to loose a lot of trade.  

Re the Sansai market - a stallholder whose English is very good told me the local authority  inspected the front section of the market and determined it needed work done , so the entire market was ,moved to the back section. Apparently, when it's finished they'll be moved back again.

The original building was in two sections, both of which were intended to be full, but it never had enough stallholders to even fill the front section. The streetside stalls fronting the main market and selling cooked food, clothes etc, were still there when I visited last Friday. The main market's only ever been open  Mondays and Fridays from around 3.30 - 4 p.m., and I still can't park at the front on either day due to its popularity with local and passing trade.

18 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

To those gripers, you do know what the answer to your plight is....... of course you do.

So, you think that foreigners living in Thailand should not have an opinion about anything .

Any foreigner in Thailand who has an opinion about anything, should go home ?

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, scottiejohn said:

This is not quite part of the OP's original topic but I am interested as to why you want to remove stalls only from the section from Mcd's to Pantip, why not the whole of Changklan road?

This is either the 'Night Bazaar' area, 'stalls and all' and connected to 'Annusan Market', (by the stalls) and local areas or is it just to be a 'normal' road in CM.

Do you want an area with 'character', and by definition tourists and money into the economy or just a noisy traffic thoroughfare?

Because the pavement on that side is too narrow for stalls and pedestrians, and there are a lot of pedestrians on that stretch of road.

The pavements between the McD corner and going north is much wider and possible for pedestrians to negotiate as well as shoppers.

The "night market" is the large open area behind the shops with a big sign over the entrance, and the roadside stalls are there only for the usual reasons.

Removing only those roadside stalls would not make any difference to the "character" of the night market, but would allow pedestrians to use the pavement for the purpose it was intended.

I would prefer not having to walk in the noisy traffic thoroughfare because the pavement is blocked.

28 years ago was my first visit to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar.

It was vibrant, clogged the pavements and an enjoyable nightly experience for my first wife and I, with then, our now two eldest children as tourists.

The 3 storey complex named as the Night Bazaar was an epicentre and there were few booths that didn't have a business trading, top floor was the bar area.

The mobile stalls (which is the topic) are still relatively trading where they always have been (and I hope are able to remain so).

Times have changed over the years, both the Anusarn Market and Kalare have developed themselves especially with the introduction of weekend "walking streets".

Fast forward to March 2017, elder sister (slightly infirm) Linda and first time visitor to South East Asia absolutely loved the Night Bazaar area, daytime and night- time staying at Suriwongse with cornermost seat at the crossroads seemingly always available.

A post derogatory to the Thai way of life has been removed as well as a reply.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

People from here, or maybe even those who have lived here for a goodly number of years, who now accept this as their way of life are not on this thread bitching and griping.  It seems to me that the bitchers and gripers are those who would not be satisfied with anything.  They unbeknowingly, perhaps, perceive themselves to be better than the rest and should be accepted as gods gift to their thought of lower beings. If you come to an area, look around a bit, then decide you would like to live here,,,,, why on earth do you feel , that you as an outsider should try and change things to your liking??  Why ???  .... and to you know who, I am not saying you should not have an opinion.....yes by all means have your opinion, but don't visit someones home and when you get there decide they should paint it a different color, more to your liking.

28 minutes ago, Gonzo the Face said:

People from here, or maybe even those who have lived here for a goodly number of years, who now accept this as their way of life are not on this thread bitching and griping.  It seems to me that the bitchers and gripers are those who would not be satisfied with anything.  They unbeknowingly, perhaps, perceive themselves to be better than the rest and should be accepted as gods gift to their thought of lower beings. If you come to an area, look around a bit, then decide you would like to live here,,,,, why on earth do you feel , that you as an outsider should try and change things to your liking??  Why ???  .... and to you know who, I am not saying you should not have an opinion.....yes by all means have your opinion, but don't visit someones home and when you get there decide they should paint it a different color, more to your liking.

Well said Gonzo.

As usual you are 'spot on'.

I think the old phrase, 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do' should be borne in mind by the moaners.

22 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

28 years ago was my first visit to the Chiang Mai Night Bazaar.

It was vibrant, clogged the pavements and an enjoyable nightly experience for my first wife and I, with then, our now two eldest children as tourists.

The 3 storey complex named as the Night Bazaar was an epicentre and there were few booths that didn't have a business trading, top floor was the bar area.

The mobile stalls (which is the topic) are still relatively trading where they always have been (and I hope are able to remain so).

Times have changed over the years, both the Anusarn Market and Kalare have developed themselves especially with the introduction of weekend "walking streets".

Fast forward to March 2017, elder sister (slightly infirm) Linda and first time visitor to South East Asia absolutely loved the Night Bazaar area, daytime and night- time staying at Suriwongse with cornermost seat at the crossroads seemingly always available.

Would you accept YOUR hometown, wherever you come from, to have blocked pavements forcing people to walk in the traffic?

Perhaps 28 years ago there was a low level of traffic and it was safe to do so, but that does not apply now. While fun for "tourists", people that LIVE in the area are inconvenienced, plus people using prams, or wheelchairs are stymied by the blocked pavements. Western people would not accept it in THEIR town, so why should it be acceptable just because it's Thailand?

Removing the pavement stalls would not affect the night bazar experience in the slightest and would allow pavements to be used for the purpose they are intended for.

21 hours ago, Gonzo the Face said:

While the Thais that live in C M may not come on TVF to complain, they are undoubtedly ( other than the ones that have the stalls blocking the pavements ) not happy if they have to walk in the traffic. They have no more desire to be maimed that we.

Unfortunately, Thais are resigned to living in less than acceptable conditions, for the reasons that are obvious to anyone that has lived in Thailand for more than 5 minutes.

why on earth do you feel , that you as an outsider should try and change things to your liking??  Why ???  

LOL. None of us that complain on TVF think that we can change anything- it's just our OPINION, which is what forums are all about, or would you prefer to communicate only with people that agree with you?

I walk in the Night Bazaar area a lot. Most of the Night Bazaar section of Changklan Rd has pavements wide enough to walk on even with the stalls. The section from Suriwong Hotel to Pantip might not be so wide , but if you want to walk then you can use the soi beside the Duangtawan, wide enough to walk on safely.

The Night Bazaar area really is a very small section of Chiang mai and most of Chiang Mai doesn't have wide pavements or even pavements at all.

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Would you accept YOUR hometown, wherever you come from, to have blocked pavements forcing people to walk in the traffic?

Perhaps 28 years ago there was a low level of traffic and it was safe to do so, but that does not apply now. While fun for "tourists", people that LIVE in the area are inconvenienced, plus people using prams, or wheelchairs are stymied by the blocked pavements. Western people would not accept it in THEIR town, so why should it be acceptable just because it's Thailand?

Removing the pavement stalls would not affect the night bazar experience in the slightest and would allow pavements to be used for the purpose they are intended for.

Don't shout at me, please.

My perception is Chang Klan road is in fact not a residential area, there may be some locals and possibly a few longer term expats with minimal budget residing in  doss houses in close proximity.

Traffic back in the earlier years was probably more hectic then in that particular area than as is now.

Warrarot Market should be the real focus for the sanitising of footpaths.

Perhaps returning back to the beach that you love may provide peace of mind.

2 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

Don't shout at me, please.

My perception is Chang Klan road is in fact not a residential area, there may be some locals and possibly a few longer term expats with minimal budget residing in  doss houses in close proximity.

Traffic back in the earlier years was probably more hectic then in that particular area than as is now.

Warrarot Market should be the real focus for the sanitising of footpaths.

Perhaps returning back to the beach that you love may provide peace of mind.

Ha.  I wonder if he likes walking along Soi Bua Khao in Pattaya.   Or anywhere else really other than along the beach.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

On 7/22/2017 at 9:38 AM, Loaded said:

And your source for this?

Of course you don't have one because it's made up pub talk.

Rattanokosin and Kaewnawarat Roads are a nightmare at the best of times but shutting off a connecting road made it an even bigger one. The market started before Yingluck's tax break on new cars led to lots more traffic on Thai roads. You can't close roads for up to 10 hours per day in busy sections of the town.

At the time I posted a photo of the notice from the traffic police stating that the market would be closed to ease congestion.

Life (in general or life in Thailand) is full of things that can distract and agitate the mind, and generate all sorts of pointless negative reactions. 

I don't particularly like the Night Bazaar, so I avoid going there. 

I approach ThaiVisa topics the same way. I skip right past those likely to cause me grief and consternation. 

OP is not wrong to empathize . He knows these folks and feels their pain. It's easier for others to condemn them when they are mere hypothetical persons, not real persons known to us, whose lives and livelihoods have some meaning.

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps 28 years ago there was a low level of traffic and it was safe to do so, but that does not apply now. While fun for "tourists", people that LIVE in the area are inconvenienced, plus people using prams, or wheelchairs are stymied by the blocked pavements

This is my ‘Hometown’ now and has been, off and on, for many years.

Recently I chose it to be permanent, warts and all.

Why can we as visitors, whether short or long term, just allow the stall holders and all their dependent(s), suppliers, providers, customers and tourist related Guest Houses, Hotels and other connected industries etc; get on with making their living without our interference and unwanted ‘opinions’.

Apart from ‘Pedestrian Only’ areas are there any streets with pavements in Chiang Mai, or any city in Thailand for that matter, suitable for prams and wheelchairs. If there are they are few and far between. The stalls have no direct impact on their or our movement. Just try walking, never mind a wheelchair etc; along the upper end of Loi Kroh (Thai Pae Gate to MCD) either side of the road with all its interruptions and obstacles.

Edited by scottiejohn
there is always an extra point to make, no matter the editing!

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Why can we as visitors, whether short or long term, just allow the stall holders and all their dependent(s), suppliers, providers, customers and tourist related Guest Houses, Hotels and other connected industries etc; get on with making their living without our interference and unwanted ‘opinions’. 

It isnt "us" making the decisions 

Its the local Government or RTP who are deciding 

Its nothing to do with us

We are just discussing the situation

That are what forums are for

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

There really is no need for insults

there was no insult  at all in  Post  #81

just a honest observation ,and opinion of the sitiuation( ,plus on topic:smile:) according to your whims of your above post^^^

its a Chelsea  F.C  good evening to all

i

1 minute ago, evenstevens said:

7 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

there was no insult  at all in  Post  #81

just a honest observation ,and opinion of the sitiuation( ,plus on topic:smile:) according to your i

Being described as a poor person living in a doss house is quite insulting and also unnecessary

A flame style post and response to it have been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.