2 SETVs from Penang, best way back from Phnom Penh?

I've booked a week in Phnom Penh mid-August and plan to obtain a SETV there through an agent, with full documentation. After the recent horror stories of foreigners being detained at Don Muang, I had planned to return from PP by bus instead. Now I've learned Poipet is the worst land border crossing for anyone with back-to-back SETVs. (Before the two SETVs, I had a non-immigrant B multiple-entry visa.) What are my alternatives? Book a flight back on an airline that flies into Suvarnabhumi instead? Travel back by bus via a different border crossing?

The border at Pailin is reputed to be more relaxed. You can get to that transferring in Battambang. If you are not in a rush, Koh Kong is IMO a really nice town to spend a few days and another option. You can get a bus there directly from Phnom Penh or stop off in Sihanoukville on the way. Then return via Trat.

One day in Sihanoukville and one night in Koh Kong, returning through Trad province in Thailand can be a nice relaxed solution. If in a hurry to get back, Phnom Penh to Koh Kong, over the border at Hat Lek, and back to Bangkok in one day is doable if leaving Phnom Penh really early in the morning. Also reasonable, as suggested, is an overnight bus to Battambang, bus or share taxi to Pailin, and crossing at the friendly border crossing there. You then generally get a minibus to Chanhtaburi and back to Bangkok from there.

• Like 1

You don't sound like you fit the profile of living here for a long time on tourist visas, which means that you'd probably be fine at either airport as long as you have the cash and an onward flight - you'd most likely not even be asked to show them.

These reports are extremely alarming, but the risk of a detention cell and denied entry is extremely slim if you can provide what's required on being asked.

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

You don't sound like you fit the profile of living here for a long time on tourist visas, which means that you'd probably be fine at either airport as long as you have the cash and an onward flight - you'd most likely not even be asked to show them.

These reports are extremely alarming, but the risk of a detention cell and denied entry is extremely slim if you can provide what's required on being asked.

First of all, thanks to the two suggestions about alternative bus routes and border crossings. I'm not sure how practical if lugging around a 20kg suitcase.

Yes, you might be right, as I've just read this:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992831-does-the-20000-at-entry-have-to-be-in-baht/?page=3

"Just in SuvarnabhumI now, breezed through immigration with 4 back to back 60 day visa and my last visa was a 30 day add on and rocked up with new 60 day visa. No questions at all."

Airfares from PP to Suvarnbhumi are nearly those to Don Muang, since there are a lot more flights/airlines flying to the latter, 4.2k vs. 2.3k. Will ponder if I should risk DM just to save 2k. 

2 hours ago, lv426 said:

First of all, thanks to the two suggestions about alternative bus routes and border crossings. I'm not sure how practical if lugging around a 20kg suitcase.

Yes, you might be right, as I've just read this:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/992831-does-the-20000-at-entry-have-to-be-in-baht/?page=3

"Just in SuvarnabhumI now, breezed through immigration with 4 back to back 60 day visa and my last visa was a 30 day add on and rocked up with new 60 day visa. No questions at all."

Airfares from PP to Suvarnbhumi are nearly those to Don Muang, since there are a lot more flights/airlines flying to the latter, 4.2k vs. 2.3k. Will ponder if I should risk DM just to save 2k. 

In fact the two cases that triggered the current discussion were both at Suvarnabhumi, so there's no reason to consider it a safer bet than Don Muang right now. 

Bear in mind that the vast majority of people passing through immigration are blissfully unaware of these reports, and are generally not aware of the need for 10k/20k cash either, and yet they pass through immigration unchallenged. The important thing is to ensure that if you do get stopped and questioned, you can provide proof of being a genuine tourist in the form of the money to support yourself, flight out and possibly a hotel booking.