Three month old baby dies after violent fall from parent's bicycle

webfact

Baby pulled to death when swaddling catches in bike wheel

By The Nation

6d55cdada4a3237ba40b1a0f6e6af2a4.jpeg

PRACHIN BURI: -- A three-month-old baby was killed in Prachin Buri on Sunday evening in a violent fall from his teenage parents’ bicycle.

The blanket in which the infant boy was bundled evidently became entangled in the rear wheel of the bike, suddenly pulling him to the hard surface of Wang Ta Khien-Wang Tha Chang Road in Kabin Buri district.

Pol Captain Manee Saengchayapa of Wang Ta Khien precinct found Prajak Khamken, 19, and his unnamed 16-year-old wife distraught over their unresponsive son, who’d suffered a head wound. 

The couple told police that the baby had struck both the bike’s spinning rear wheel and road surface. 

They were taken in for questioning and the infant’s body was sent to Kabin Buri Hospital for an autopsy.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30321618

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-24

This is a very sad story, I understand that like so many young couples this unfortunate pair probably did not have the finances to purchase a car and so were riding a motorcycle with the baby in the young mothers arms, which brings us to the second point that this young lady is too young to be a responsible mother, and think about things like the shawl becoming entangled in the rear wheel of the bike; it is easy to criticize after the fact but I suppose this couple feel bad enough without people piling on them. R.I.P little one and I wish the parents all the best in recovering from this tragedy.

32 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

This is a very sad story, I understand that like so many young couples this unfortunate pair probably did not have the finances to purchase a car and so were riding a motorcycle with the baby in the young mothers arms, which brings us to the second point that this young lady is too young to be a responsible mother, and think about things like the shawl becoming entangled in the rear wheel of the bike; it is easy to criticize after the fact but I suppose this couple feel bad enough without people piling on them. R.I.P little one and I wish the parents all the best in recovering from this tragedy.

And, what's the excuse for older parents who can afford luxury cars, riding in the front seat with children on their laps, and none of the other children secured with seat belts? It appears that a significant segment of the Thai population either have no awareness of safety, or just don't care, having a mai pen rai attitude. Unfortunately, the victims in many cases, have no say in the matter., and suffer the consequences. Many of those who are fortunate enough to survive, can be seen riding their motorbikes and texting at the same time. They are underage and not wearing a helmet. 

Edited by jaltsc

29 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

And, what's the excuse for older parents who can afford luxury cars, riding in the front seat with children on their laps, and none of the other children secured with seat belts? It appears that a significant segment of the Thai population either have no awareness of safety, or just don't care, having a mai pen rai attitude. Unfortunately, the victims in many cases, have no say in the matter., and suffer the consequences. Many of those who are fortunate enough to survive, can be seen riding their motorbikes and texting at the same time. They are underage and not wearing a helmet. 

The only excuse is ignorance... which is no excuse, although ignorance does seem to be encouraged due to a lack of GIF by those who should be being proactive in prevention of these kinds of incidences. 

1 hour ago, jspill said:

He's sat there texting on his iphone?

Or, when the picture was taken, he was on the phone with family or something.

1 hour ago, Geoffggi said:

Actually, a bicycle, says the story... maybe she was on the back, who knows...

This is tragic... I don't want to bash Thai's and any negative comment will most certainly bring out the accusations of Thai bashing, however, when I read news such as this, it is clear that the vast majority of these tragic events are easily avoidable if not for a little serving of common sense a helping of education and dose of 'give a flook' from those in positions of decision making power and enforcement... 

While tragic accidents such as this occur globally, in many places when they do they are considered 'freak accidents'... in Thailand it really is such a shame that a country we (Thai Visa members) love is so frequently marred tragic events to the degree that society becomes numb to consequence. 

Riding a bicycle it would appear not even a motorcycle.

Where's the bloody thai extended family that thailand is world famous for at times like this when the future of their families need support?

RIP and sorry for your loss 

10 hours ago, realenglish1 said:

As sad as it is I  blame the government here No helmet laws no safety laws about babies I see them all the time Partly the partents and the government 

This will be an all too familiar tragedy all the time in Thailand

You are right about safety laws but unfortunately you can lead a horse to water, a saying applicable to many here.:wai:

Please prosecute these parents for negligence. I know this is a tragedy, but anyone could see that such incidents are inevitable here. Everyday, every hour, I see young children with protection.  I know that people are poor, but I also know that a helmet costs about 200 baht, the price of a small  bottle of whiskey, or 3 large Leo beers.  Thais are simply stupid and selfish, not caring for the each other. If people will not do the right thing because it is simply the right thing, then they should be made to do the obvious right thing.

1 minute ago, Graemej100 said:

The same sort of death as Isadora Duncan. Easily done. RIP.

There was a tragic wedding incident in the east end some years ago. The bride and groom were being transported in a horse drawn wagon with a live rear axle. The brides dress got entangled and it wasn't a pretty sight.

I strongly suspect this was a motorbike and not a bicycle. The article has not been written by a native speaker or a translation program has been used. So, it appears to be a translation problem.

Transporting children around on motorbikes is ubiquitous in Thailand. Child deaths from motorbike accidents are numerous. The only difference here is it has been reported in English. There is no political will from any quarter to change the situation (police, populus, parents, government, civil society).

16 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

No excuse. Safety first - something that has yet to be learned in Thailand.

22 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

probably did not have the finances to purchase a car and so were riding a motorcycle

Ummm... they did not have the finance for a motorcycle... read the article before displaying your inanity please!!