Busted! Baggage handlers at Suvarnabhumi Airport caught stealing from passengers

snoop1130

Another disgraceful attitude from Suvarnabhumi Airport staff, that tarnishes image of the honest and obliging employees....but a good thing the crooks were caught..

A nice public apology and they could be transfered to an "inactive post"????:sorry:

The more disturbing in this incident is that the chaps handling luggage were not searched?...Such flaws in airport security towards staff could lead to a disaster under the current global climate.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Well said.... ?

And now, with the US policy (spreading) on use of electronic equipment on board flights, expect those stored below to become targets, followed by comments such as "why would you put valuable computers in your luggage?"

Yes, and I wonder if one's insurance would also refuse to pay, saying you took a risk in checking the item(s) when everyone knows you shouldn't put valuables in checked baggage...

Meanwhile upstairs the legalised thieving goes on unabated: confiscated items ( more than 100ml liquids  for example), somehow ended up on eBay....not as a sale for charity ( which we would all endorse) but for personal profit. 

33 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Why is there no reason to assume anyone else knew?
ie x-ray operator.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Because only a few bags are unlocked anyway and the thieves can just open as many as they can--maybe all that actually come their way that they can physically get to and open/search quickly--and find something. Could be sunglasses, could be B500 in Turkmenistan notes, whatever. Could they have found the stuff they got randomly? Of course. Looks like random finds, got lucky w/ the Chinese stash.

Just low-level, stupid thieves seeing opportunity. No need for a conspiracy if they even thought that far. Why risk telling an X-ray machine operator you're going to steal from people's bags and invite her help? It's just not necessary. Although an ace DSI:TVF investigator KNOWS that any Thai will be willing to enter into a criminal conspiracy, in reality that's not the case.

Because only a few bags are unlocked anyway and the thieves can just open as many as they can--maybe all that actually come their way that they can physically get to and open/search quickly--and find something. Could be sunglasses, could be B500 in Turkmenistan notes, whatever. Could they have found the stuff they got randomly? Of course. Looks like random finds, got lucky w/ the Chinese stash.

Just low-level, stupid thieves seeing opportunity. No need for a conspiracy if they even thought that far. Why risk telling an X-ray machine operator you're going to steal from people's bags and invite her help? It's just not necessary. Although an ace DSI:TVF investigator KNOWS that any Thai will be willing to enter into a criminal conspiracy, in reality that's not the case.

Other people can easily be involved, especially when there's a sniff of booty. You or I don't know the ins and outs of this thieving, mine was just another theory.
Nor do I make myself out to be a DSI.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You guys must be unlucky, or I'm very lucky. I've been traveling in and around Asia and Middle East the last ten years. I've packed watches, jewelry, laptops and iPad in checked bags and have never lost a thing. 

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I always carry cash in my suitcase as an emergency fund. Robbers always go after your small bag as that is where most people carry their valuables. If you ever get mugged, wouldn't it be nice to have some cash in your suitcase?

I alwas stuff an emergency 5k baht up my anus just in case I'm mugged.

7 hours ago, Nemesis7 said:

Earning a bad reputation fir the country's main hub isn't a good thing really 

No, it's not.  And much as I would hope these miscreants get thrown in the slammer for a year or so, we all know it ain't gonna' happen.  So, for the 55,000th time, (1) DON'T pack valuables in checked bags, because (2) this happens in some airports around the globe.   Unless union members in the U.S. (which will do all possible to protect them from the consequences), baggage handlers aren't among the best paid workers and many will be looking for "opportunities" simply as one of the perks of the job.  The ever-present, well-known threat of theft was one big reason why not being able to carry-on laptops was threatening to be such as big deal.  Baggage handlers must've been drooling at the prospect...

9 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

Poor security guy he will likely be fired for doing his job. 

yeah.  or be beat on or trouble outside of work.  But stealing from outbound passengers is the way to do it.  Heck, most couldn't file a complaint or get back to collect anything.  But cash in the suitcase and bags?  Just nutty.

10 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

The Xray people can mark a bag that shows items of interest during the baggage scan. Small sticker or other type of marking

correct , security guy just lost his job

8 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Happens at many airports in the world usually stops when cctv is installed.

..do they have CCTV installed inside each plane's cargo hold to monitor loading and unloading?

I don't see why this is news. Surely they do not think this problem has now been handled when of course it is very likely a bigger scale operation. 2 lads making headlines for stealing a few quid, smoke and mirrors.

9 hours ago, superdome said:

Sounds like "thiefrow"...has moved

..a few years ago here at the bus station in Chiang Mai a certain bus company was getting several complaints of stolen property from passengers..normal procedure is each passenger places their bag in the cargo hold as the bus-boy/driver stows it in their view.

After many complaints the company watched as the baggage was being unloaded and noticed one large sports bag was left..it was wriggling..inside was a midget with his haul he had from bags he had opened when the bus was underway..hmm.