Fish Keppers

lycan

I have kept fish for awhile now, about six or seven years. Mostly I like smaller fish. My tank now is set up like an Amazon river bed; Neon tetras, glowlights, cory

catfish, and koolie eels. I love them like family. Thailand is an absolutely amazing

place to keep fish do to unlimited selection of fish (Chatuchak market). My favorite

fish I ever had was a black African knife fish.

I have kept fish for awhile now, about six or seven years. Mostly I like smaller fish. My tank now is set up like an Amazon river bed; Neon tetras, glowlights, cory

catfish, and koolie eels. I love them like family. Thailand is an absolutely amazing

place to keep fish do to unlimited selection of fish (Chatuchak market). My favorite

mbkudu

nice to meet u :D R u local or expat ? Yes it true Thailand is a place when come to aquarium fish variety sky is the limit :D

I visited Chatuchak market once and i dont mind to go again

Reason i started this post is i want to organise a group of local ( thai ) members get together which like to talk about fishes :o

which like to talk about fishes 

Sounds absolutely riveting, put me down as a member only if when we get fed up with talking about fish (to be honest I can't think of much to say about fish except do you want salt and vinegar on it).

We can talk about bird watching,then a bird watcher can tell what they watch them do, always been a mystery to me that.

By the way whats a "kepper"?

Reason i started this post is i want to organise a group of local ( thai ) members get together which like to talk about fishes :o

I love fish but with regards to your suggestion, mai ao...

Dutchy

mbkudu

nice to meet u :D R u local or expat ? Yes it true Thailand is a place when come to aquarium fish variety sky is the limit :D

I visited Chatuchak market once and i dont mind to go again

Hello Iycan, It's nice to meet you too. I lived in Bangkok for a long time (8years)

but moved back to America for awhile (3 years max) to work. I spend about 3 months out of the year in Thailand now, so my fish are hear with me now. Thanks for the invitation to your group, when I am back in Thailand we can 'talk fish'.

Talk to you later, MBKUDU

which like to talk about fishes 

Sounds absolutely riveting, put me down as a member only if when we get fed up with talking about fish (to be honest I can't think of much to say about fish except do you want salt and vinegar on it).

We can talk about bird watching,then a bird watcher can tell what they watch them do, always been a mystery to me that.

By the way whats a "kepper"?

Fish are much more interesting than people because they don't say stupid things

like this; as a matter of fact they don't say anything at all which is why I like them so much.

I had fish tanks in Europe since the day I was born. I had one when I was in Singapore.

When I moved to thailand, I moved the tanks and they got broken,...

In Thailand, I've been moving from one place to another and did not want to move the tank and the fishes from one place to another (which usually is a delicate operation stress wise).

So I stopped having them but I still miss it,...

I keep Koi Carp out here in Isaan, you can buy them at Chatujak market in Bangkok at the weekends. Plus you can buy all the food, water testing kits and filtering equipment there.

I got local people to build my pond, bought the pumps locally at a builders merchants and the filters in BKK, Chatujack.

The fish I now tend to buy along the Lao border, Isaan breeders. They are much cheaper than BKK. For instance, three 20cm fish, metalic colours, under 250 Baht. Beat that in Europe or the USA !!

The only problems are that the fish are extremely destructive. Thay eat just about any plant that you put in the water. Also with all this sun, filtering the water is difficult.

Issan2, do you have shade trees over the pond or direct sunlight? Trees will keep the water from evaporating so fast; it also looks nicer with trees hanging over. Those are great prices for those fish you have.

My wife and I raise fish on a comercial scale, talapia, catfish and plaa nin and sometimes I'll find the odd dwarf gourami and take it home and throw it in the fish

tank. The catfish, talapia and plaa nin are great for eating, but I could never eat the dwarf gouramis; just too small and cute.

I thought this thread was about KIPPERS !

Smoked, aaahhhhh!

Lightly grilled with butter.

Arbroath Smokies.

breakfast ain't the same without 'em.

John West do Kippers in a tin!

I was amazed to see them on the shelf in a Nigerian supermarket, last month

By the way they taste great too, I bought the shelf full and made my bivie smell like an old whores knickers

Bash

I always had canned kippers on the shelf when I lived in the states,KING EDWARD I believe,,very tasty. :o

Here we have a 7 rai lake with a great number of fish,KOI ,CAT FISH and EELS,catch em and all the neighbors come to buy em,sure beats the ###### out of an aquarium that you have to clean and worry about PH and filters,pumps and aeriators all the time. :D

Hi mbkudu

I dont have any shade over the pond except that provided by the surrounding houses. I have asked local builders to make a Thai style roof but they delayed for Songran and now the rains have started and so they go to do the rice. It takes a long time to get anything done in Thailand !

I know that shade keeps the water cool and stops too much clouding. I have one of those water filters from Chatujack. Basically a big plastic bin with a series of filter materials but that doesnt work very well.

I know that its possible to build an external filter with settlement tanks but dont know much abount it. I would dread to rely on the local builders to create it. They built my current large pond with no bottom drain and no runoff filter. Now in rainy season I have a pond that is over flowing.

Yes the fish prices are great and they provide me with free food sachets for that price ! We always buy a few Koi and loads of small fish. I have four ponds in the Garden. I told the wife I would build another big one but I dont think that she is going to allow it :o.

Hi Issan2,

If you haven't done this already, give a try. Construct a small 'cliff or wall' of rocks behind the pond. A hose should be run from the inside of the pond and up around the back of the rocks to the top. A pump should be spliced into the hose somewhere either in the water or outside depending on pump type. So the water

is making a cycle over the rocks like a waterfall. This constant motion of water keeps it clean and aerated with oxygen, much like nature. The rocks act as a natural filter. Some people add an external box attached to the pump with hair rollers or gravel as an added filtration. The movement of water is the most important. The pond should have some sort of drain too; makes it easier to clean.

Also to cut down on the cloudiness of the water, cover the bottom with flat, round stones so it's harder for the fish to kick up crap off the bottom.

Good luck.

One other thing. Chatuchak is a great place to buy fish, but a lot of the accesories with motors, ie filters are very substandard. Try an aquarium shop for something better. The World Trade Center has a good shop in the basement with good stuff.

The stuff made in Japan is the best.