Air Asia plane’s tyre burst at U-Tapao airport

webfact

Air Asia plane’s tyre burst at U-Tapao airport

By Thai PBS

vlcsnap-2017-07-24-20h38m44s202.png

U-Tapao airport in Chon Buri was closed for about three hours on Monday after an Air Asia flight from Chiang Mai burst a tyre as it touched down at the airport.

Air Asia’s A320 flight with about 100 passengers left Chiang Mai for U-tapao Monday morning but while the plane touched down on the runway, one left tyre burst. It was raining at the time.

However, the pilot managed to keep the plane from skidding out of the runway and controlling it to run on the runway for about 1.5 km before it finally stopped.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/air-asia-planes-tyre-burst-u-tapao-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-25

I have always marvelled at the amount of smoke and burned rubber shown by planes on landing. Surely it would be the simplest thing to have the tyres already spinning before touchdown, which could easily be achieved either mechanically or by the incorporation of "wind pockets" in the design of the wheel body, something like a water wheel but different :)

42 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

I have always marvelled at the amount of smoke and burned rubber shown by planes on landing. Surely it would be the simplest thing to have the tyres already spinning before touchdown, which could easily be achieved either mechanically or by the incorporation of "wind pockets" in the design of the wheel body, something like a water wheel but different :)

https://www.quora.com/Why-arent-aircraft-tires-made-to-rotate-before-landing-to-reduce-tire-wear

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:52 AM, phantomfiddler said:

I wondered this back in the 1970's as I started on an engineering career. The simple answer given back then was that the airlines bought shares in tyre company's. Win/win