NCPO takes action against 70 officials for alleged graft, abuse of authority

webfact

NCPO takes action against 70 officials for alleged graft, abuse of authority

By The Nation

b9bd8cfc4926223b98018f286928996c-atwb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) on Tuesday took action against 70 officials and local political office holders for alleged corruption or abuse of authority. 

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, exercising his power as the NCPO chief, has slapped these officials with either suspension from duty or transfers. 

His order took effect yesterday – the day it was published in the Royal Gazette. (( http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2560/E/190/144.PDF))

Under the order, Sathit Indamra is now suspended as an inspector-general at the Department of Public Works and Town & Country Planning and will be reassigned as deemed appropriate by his adviser. 

As many as 37 executives of local administrative organisations also face suspension without pay. 

Among them are Phetchabun Provincial Administrative Organisation’s chief executive Akaradej Thongjaisod, Pathum Thani Provincial Administrative Organisation’s chief executive Chan Puangpetch, Loei Provincial Administrative Organisation’s chief executive Thanawut Timsuwan, Sakon Nakhon Provincial Administrative Organisation’s chief executive Chaimongkhon Chairop, and Samrong Nuea municipality’s mayor Leukrit Petchbodee, 

Some 24 officials of local administrative bodies are being transferred with the loss of position-affiliated allowances. 

Among them are Sanan Silarat and Decha Puang-ngarm, the chief administrators of the Nakhon Si Thammarat Provincial Administrative Organisation and Pathum Thani Provincial Administrative Organisation, respectively. 

The remainder of the 70 individuals affected by the order are permanent public officials at a number of ministries.

Government Spokesman Lt-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said earlier in the day that the actions were being taken based on information provided by the Anti-Corruption Centre.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30321795

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-26

I'm sure that corrupt Officials out there must be quaking in their shoes at the thought of the consequences of being found involved in corruption and fraud. "Oh My God! I could be suspended or transferred!" If the Government is serious about stopping corruption, then every single case where there is evidence should be prosecuted and the offender jailed. That is a deterrent, being suspended but able to keep your ill gotten gains is not.

"The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) on Tuesday took action against 70 officials and local political office holders for alleged corruption or abuse of authority."

and then...

"Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, exercising his power as the NCPO chief, "

Oh, the irony :cheesy:

Just now, Happy Grumpy said:

Did the man in the picture explain where got his $2m in cash yet?

$2m cash? That's for the plebs. Big P's pushing closer to $25 mil :wink: (I heard he married well, or he inherited it from his dad who was wealthy. But his dad was also a soldier, so I guess he married well too) :unsure:

Edited by SABloke

One of our local officials is on the list and has been transferred. Also on a positive note, government inspectors have actually been checking the newly constructed roads for depth of concrete. This photo taken last week shows the equipment being used. Already,  sections of the roads that were built in the last six months have been torn up and replaced with the proper thickness as required.

As my wife said, it is a start. And I have to admit that this is the first time that I have seen such work being carried out. Good.

GEO_6345.JPG

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I'm sure that corrupt Officials out there must be quaking in their shoes at the thought of the consequences of being found involved in corruption and fraud. "Oh My God! I could be suspended or transferred!" If the Government is serious about stopping corruption, then every single case where there is evidence should be prosecuted and the offender jailed. That is a deterrent, being suspended but able to keep your ill gotten gains is not.

I agree 100% but its quite hard to prove it all, this works faster they are now off the gravey train. I prefer your option though but have doubts about the practicality. If you look at the court cases here from red shirt leaders and yellow shirt leaders and others.. 10 years is nothing.. just imagine the appeals and time it would take to convict these guys and take their money. 

But even though the government has not taken action on graft (PM his brother and nephew) i still see far more being done against graft then ever before. 

55 minutes ago, missoura said:

One of our local officials is on the list and has been transferred. Also on a positive note, government inspectors have actually been checking the newly constructed roads for depth of concrete. This photo taken last week shows the equipment being used. Already,  sections of the roads that were built in the last six months have been torn up and replaced with the proper thickness as required.

As my wife said, it is a start. And I have to admit that this is the first time that I have seen such work being carried out. Good.

GEO_6345.JPG

Yes, there is positive change.. but don't post that here you are not allowed to say anything positive about the junta. 

sorry but transferring - reassigning - moving - inactive posts etc is not dealing with the corruption and never will

Corruption in Thailand needs to classified as one of the most serious crimes that exists under criminal law and those caught need to be severely dealt with, send the right message  

18 minutes ago, smedly said:

sorry but transferring - reassigning - moving - inactive posts etc is not dealing with the corruption and never will

Corruption in Thailand needs to classified as one of the most serious crimes that exists under criminal law and those caught need to be severely dealt with, send the right message  

Hard to prosecute corruption or many other when treason is an acceptable crime and LM can get you 30 years.

4 hours ago, SABloke said:

$2m cash? That's for the plebs. Big P's pushing closer to $25 mil

Yeah, was all accounted for except for us$2 million. When asked about it he told the reporter to go away and focus on important things. 

It is also a matter of balance.
Unreported foreign workers are threatened with up to 5 years imprisonment and very high fines. A legal offense, but they work for their food and do not steal. On the other hand the corrupt officials can rob the society, without penalty.