Visa exempt: Flying from Bangkok and right back the same day

I've already done my 30 days extension and there is a 19 days gap between when it expires and when my flight back to Europe is. Given the new reports of people being deported, would I have any problems of flying, for example, to Singapore and then return the same day? I haven't gotten a 30 days exempt visa in years.

Edited by tumama

Well I have a history of going and getting 60 days tourist visas and then extending them here in Bangkok for another 30 days. A 3 year history of that including a couple of Non-B visas in between to be specific.

2 hours ago, tumama said:

Well I have a history of going and getting 60 days tourist visas and then extending them here in Bangkok for another 30 days. A 3 year history of that including a couple of Non-B visas in between to be specific.

No one can predict what will happen in an individual case, but if you've been here on a series of tourist visas for the past three years there's a high probability you'll at least be subject to some questions.

4 hours ago, tumama said:

Given the new reports of people being deported,

Being refused entry isn't quite the same thing as being deported. Probably less hassle to spend a little money to change  the date of your flight back to Europe rather than flying around SE Asia and hoping you'll be admitted to Thailand one more time.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lkv said:

In your situation, the best idea is an in-out border run at Ban Laem to get 30 days visa exempt in my opinion.

Great, so they've changed the rules on that now. Is that the best border crossing to do it at?

Just now, tumama said:

Great, so they've changed the rules on that now. Is that the best border crossing to do it at?

From Bangkok yes, that's where Thaivisaservice do their van runs. And they seem to have been pretty up to date in the last few years with all the changes.

You can have a look on their website, you can find some useful information about visa runs.

My experience is a in out same day by air will raise the flag and they will take you to the back room for questioning.

But thats my experience.only with same day and exempt

I am over 50 lots of tv and exempts.

A valid reason for being here helps.

• Like 2

I concur that and in/out by land is safer. Since the changes at the beginning of the year, most land borders seem happy to mostly just enforce the maximum two visa exempts by land rule, and not bother too much about anything else.

Well, if can't change ticket, but are worried about getting a Thai visa.  I guess go spend 19 days in another country, then fly back into BKK and just transit through to your flight home?  Go chill in Cambodia for 18 days then fly into BKK and transit out.  I don't think you need a visa of any type to transit, unlike the USA which I think is a bit more challenging for some transits

• Like 1

With a 3-year history of back-to-back tourist visas, I'd say the deck is kind of stacked against you trying to add-on a v-e.   'Sounds like you're kind of a poster child for what they've been trying to block.  But the land border crossings are famously inconsistent, so if someone is saying you're good for a v-e at one or another in particular, then I guess that might be your best shot.

But it sounds (#6) like you want to come back yet again when this is all done, and are maybe even trying to live in Thailand on tourist visas.  How and on what type of visa do you plan to come back?  Another tourist visa?  You could get the visa alright, but that certainly doesn't guarantee entry when you get to the immigration counter next time and they see your history.  But I do heartily agree that adding a 19d overstay to the existing mix is a really bad idea if wanting to come back.

• Like 1

Doing the back to back from Swampy to SG today and back in the evening. Was on Non B + Work Permit, need to cancel my current visa to get on the PE Visa. 

No history of back to backs or a tourist visa ever in my Passport. Will let you know how it goes as well. 

• 1 month later...

I'm working 8 weeks on and 4 off. The 4 weeks spent in Thailand with Thai wife and son. Due to logistics it's not very easy for me to get the time to get visa organised. After reading on tv forum I'm getting a bit worried if I'm going to get in troubles next time when I arrive. Next time arriving will be fifth time this year on visa exempt......

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

10 minutes ago, mek said:

I'm working 8 weeks on and 4 off. The 4 weeks spent in Thailand with Thai wife and son. Due to logistics it's not very easy for me to get the time to get visa organised. After reading on tv forum I'm getting a bit worried if I'm going to get in troubles next time when I arrive. Next time arriving will be fifth time this year on visa exempt......

You really need to get a visa either based on marriage or your Thai child, if you continue with the VE you are going to have problems

If you are here for 4 weeks then that's more than enough time to organize what you need, you could consider a trip to get a visa based on marriage to Savanakhet which is a 2 day process 

Other posters may be able to suggest better options

21 minutes ago, mek said:

If you are legally married to your wife your best option would be to get a multiple entry non-o visa at the consulate in Savannakhet Laos. No financial proof is needed to get it there.

Hmm you are probably right. It's just that I'm trying to spend my valuable time at home with the family since I'm already spending 5 days traveling to and from work out of the 28 days off.
So a trip to Savanakhet including visa application can be done in a couple of days???

3 minutes ago, mek said:

So a trip to Savanakhet including visa application can be done in a couple of days???

You apply by 11:30 the morning of one day and pick up your passport with the visa in it the next afternoon.

Where are you living while you here?

It is possible to spend only one night in Savannakhet if you travel on a overnight bus to Mukdahan.

Two nights if you use a fly/ride service to Mukdahan via nearby airports. Nok Air's schedule is here: https://nokair.com/content/en/destinations/fly-n-ride/Ubon-Ratchathani-mukdahan.aspx  You need to arrive at the bridge by 6 pm in order to cross over to Savannakhet since that is when the Lao visa on arrival offices officialy closes.

You apply by 11:30 the morning of one day and pick up your passport with the visa in it the next afternoon.
Where are you living while you here?
It is possible to spend only one night in Savannakhet if you travel on a overnight bus to Mukdahan.
Two nights if you use a fly/ride service to Mukdahan via nearby airports. Nok Air's schedule is here: https://nokair.com/content/en/destinations/fly-n-ride/Ubon-Ratchathani-mukdahan.aspx  You need to arrive at the bridge by 6 pm in order to cross over to Savannakhet since that is when the Lao visa on arrival offices officialy closes.

I'm in Bangkok.
Was thinking of Penang as an option as well (since I'm more familiar with Penang) Financial proof is not a problem since I'm working and have a steady income. As far as I am aware I don't need to have a certain amount sitting in a Thai bank account???

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, mek said:

Hmm you are probably right. It's just that I'm trying to spend my valuable time at home with the family since I'm already spending 5 days traveling to and from work out of the 28 days off.

You won't be spending any time with them unless you get yourself sorted out i'm afraid, times have changed regarding coming in multiple times on VE

Take the advice you have been given, it will save you a lot of problems in the future

39 minutes ago, mek said:

With planning, extension of stay and maybe re-entry permits the visa will give you up to 17 months before needing to get a new visa. You should be able to get a visa in 2/3 days depending on where you live.

22 minutes ago, mek said:

Was thinking of Penang as an option as well (since I'm more familiar with Penang) Financial proof is not a problem since I'm working and have a steady income. As far as I am aware I don't need to have a certain amount sitting in a Thai bank account???

Penang will want financial proof. It can be 400k baht in any bank or proof of 40k baht income.

Another problem with Penang is they may only issue a single entry non-o visa for the first application and then a multiple entry visa after that.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless the hours in Savannakhet have changed, the application must be done before 11.00 am. A couple of years ago, my bus to Mukdahan was delayed, and I arrived at the consulate at 11.10, too late to apply that day.