VISA overstay because of holiday?

Hi all, I was due to extend my visa today, got to the office and it says they are closed due to the Kings birthday 

additionally, immigration is closed tomorrow and next day for the weekend.

i have heard that if your visa expires on a holiday or weekend, you can appear on the first day it is open with no fines and no problem , could anyone confirm this for me?

thanks

3 minutes ago, Annu Nair said:

I was fined 650 bahts.

The overstay fine is 500 baht a day. Were leaving the country or applying for an extension.

No difference in that rule based upon nationality.

16 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Yes you can if married  or Tr visa by 30days

No, if married on a Non Imm O ME Visa, you can extended each 90 day permission to stay by another 60 days, for reason of visiting Thai wife.

You can extend the 60 day permission to stay, by another 30 days with a TV.

A Visa cannot be extended!

The validity and enter before date cannot be changed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

Extension of visa as far as in concerned 

Unfortunately that's why your opinions and advice tend to cause confusion amongst members who are seeking genuine information.

So why do you renew your Visa every 15 months or so if you can extend it?

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Unfortunately that's why your opinions and advice tend to cause confusion amongst members who are seeking genuine information.

So why do you renew your Visa every 15 months or so if you can extend it?

Although, when people refer to it as "Extending a visa" . We all know what they mean and that they do not mean it literally or they are mistaken in terminology

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although, when people refer to it as "Extending a visa" . We all know what they mean and that they do not mean it literally or they are mistaken in terminology

You mean when someone extends their Non Imm O ME Visa at Immigration, leaves the Country, then gets a 30 day Visa exempt on re-entry, we shouldn't point out they haven't extended their ME Visa, and in fact need a re-entry permit.

Jeab1980 by the way is on a Non Imm O ME Visa, can never extend his 'Visa' at Immigration and crosses the border to get another 90 day permission to stay.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You mean when someone extends their Non Imm O ME Visa at Immigration, leaves the Country, then gets a 30 day Visa exempt on re-entry, we shouldn't point out they haven't extended their ME Visa, and in fact need a re-entry permit.

Jeab1980 by the way is on a Non Imm O ME Visa, can never extend his 'Visa' at Immigration and crosses the border to get another 90 day permission to stay.

In the case of the O.P , he seems to want to extend his permission to stay and he just erroneously used the term, "Visa extend" , rather than "permission to stay extend"

Even the .I.O call it a visa extension

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

In the case of the O.P , he seems to want to extend his permission to stay and he just erroneously used the term, "Visa extend" , rather than "permission to stay extend"

Even the .I.O call it a visa extension

I don't have an issue with that.

The OP was politely corrected by a number of members.

I do have an issue when after reading that advice, another member fragrantly dismisses it, and continues to wrongly state facts which do not help the OP to know who is giving correct information. It's know as 'flaming' and creates arguments, as now!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Extension of visa as far as in concerned 

With few exceptions you get a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate.  That is what you present to an immigration officer when you enter the country.

It is the immigration officer who grants you permission to stay in Thailand. You can remain in Thailand up to the date the immigration officer stamps in your passport regardless of whether or not your visa is stamped "used" or it expires. If you qualify for one reason or another, immigrations can extend your permission to remain in the country.  Immigrations cannot extend the validity of your visa. The expiry date shown on the visa cannot be changed.

If you are here on an extension or permission to stay and want to exit and return to Thailand while maintaining your permission or extension of stay, you must get a re-entry permit because the extension you got is not a visa. The re-entry permit can be presented when you return and enter the country in lieu of a visa.

You're welcome to think of it however you like, but posting it in a forum where people are looking for accurate information causes confusion and, at times, result in readers assuming they possess an extended visa, which they don't, only to discover their error when returning to Thailand.

Someone, for example, who has an extension of stay based on marriage, no longer has a visa. His permission to stay in Thailand has been extended.  Since he no longer has a valid visa, if he attempts to leave the country and return, he will lose his extension of stay unless he gets a re-entry permit. The re-entry permit is necessary because he doesn't have a visa.

If someone enters on a visa exempt entry, he is given permission to stay, which may be extended, but exempted from the need for a visa. He has no visa, but obtains a permission to stay. He's exempted from the need for a visa.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

With few exceptions you get a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate.  That is what you present to an immigration officer when you enter the country.

It is the immigration officer who grants you permission to stay in Thailand. You can remain in Thailand up to the date the immigration officer stamps in your passport regardless of whether or not your visa is stamped "used" or it expires. If you qualify for one reason or another, immigrations can extend your permission to remain in the country.  Immigrations cannot extend the validity of your visa. The expiry date shown on the visa cannot be changed.

If you are here on an extension or permission to stay and want to exit and return to Thailand while maintaining your permission or extension of stay, you must get a re-entry permit because the extension you got is not a visa. The re-entry permit can be presented when you return and enter the country in lieu of a visa.

You're welcome to think of it however you like, but posting it in a forum where people are looking for accurate information causes confusion and, at times, result in readers assuming they possess an extended visa, which they don't, only to discover their error when returning to Thailand.

Someone, for example, who has an extension of stay based on marriage, no longer has a visa. His permission to stay in Thailand has been extended.  Since he no longer has a valid visa, if he attempts to leave the country and return, he will lose his extension of stay unless he gets a re-entry permit. The re-entry permit is necessary because he doesn't have a visa.

If someone enters on a visa exempt entry, he is given permission to stay, which may be extended, but exempted from the need for a visa. He has no visa, but obtains a permission to stay. He's exempted from the need for a visa.

If I say I am getting a 60 day extension on my Visa based on visiting wife everybody knows what  IAm saying.

If someone comes on here and asks can i get a 30 day extensionon my TR visa again everyone knows what he is asking.

However if (which i wont) I came on here and said i want a another 1 year visa based on marriage what does immigration want or I Have a retirement Visa what documents do i need to get another at Immigration. Then yes confusion might reign in those circumstances.

Every and i mean every post re visa/extension married or retirement there is always always one or two with the.

"You cant extend a Visa"

"You can have an extension of stay but not a visa"

Edited by jeab1980