Need Router with built-in VPN client

jeffandgop

I need to buy a router with built-in VPN client to add to my existing 3BB dual band router wi-fi network.

Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of the specific router I seek and where to buy in Chiang Mai (or Thailand)?

Thanks.

The Asus RT-N66U is one such. More recent Asus routers of that range and above will also do this, though to get the best functionality you may want to install the Merlin firmware.

That may be overkill for what you need though and so you might want to look at some of the mini-routers that are available.

I have Tunnel Bear as my current VPN provider but theirs doesn't work on routers. After further research today and consultation with a friend of mine who is an expert, I'm not going to pursue this any further. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Tunnerbear VPN with a router is not completely impossible. You need a router that is compatible with the LEDE firmware, the LEDE Firmware turns your router into a Linux device. With LEDE Firmware installed you can additional install OpenVPN as a package for the router... After that it is follow the Tunnelbear manual for Linux https://www.tunnelbear.com/blog/linux_support/

bear in mind slow routers won't perform good at openvpn.

asus rt-n66 is a slow one (10 mbit/s, not more than 20 mbit/s under optimal conditions)

I got asus rt-ac56u and it can do 50mbit/s thanks to dualcore 800 mhz ARM cpu.

if you want better performance, look for routers come with arm dual core cpu.

if you need openvpn router just for streaming purposes, you can buy a cheap gl-inet mini routers for 23 usd + 5 usd shipping from aliexpress.

and make it connected to openvpn always, and provide internet to your tv, android box, or wherever you need. you won't need fastest speed for streaming anyway.

but if you put vpn on main router and if you have better internet speed, it'll be reduced to 10-20 mbits maximum using low-end or old router.

• 1 month later...