19 provinces still flooded

rooster59

19 provinces still flooded

kalasin.jpg

Heavy downpours that hit many parts of the country between July 5-28 caused inundation and flash floods in 40 provinces, but the situation has eased in 21 provinces while 19 others are still flooded, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director-general Chatchai Promlert said on Saturday (July 29).

The 19 provinces where flooding has not been resolved are Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, Kalasin, Buri Ram, Si Sa Ket, Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchathani, Amnat Charoen, Mae Hong Son, Uttaradit, Phitsanulok, Phichit, Ayutthaya, Sukhothai, Lop Buri, Ranong and Chumphon.

Mr Chatchai said the overall situation is that the water levels in the 19 provinces are at a standstill and receding in some areas — except in Sakon Nakhon where the water level has increased because of the continuing rain and run-off from the Phu Phan mountain range.

As a result, Muang, Sawang Daendin, Phang Khon, Tao Ngoy, Kusuman, Phanna Nikhom and Akat Amnuay are still flooded, affecting 7,863 households with 23,538 people.

The Sakon Nakhon airport has been temporarily closed because the access road to the airport and the runway have been inundated.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/19-provinces-still-flooded/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-07-29

25 minutes ago, hansnl said:

There should be a way to store all that, or a big part, of all that water.

I've thought this same thing for many years. Seems like every year it's the same thing, first drought then flooding; I know they have many large reservoirs but surely they could develop more. And on a side note; if they did massive projects like that, just think of all the money that would change hands, you'd think politicians/govt would be all over that!

Another Headline reads: Sakon Nakhon flood damage estimated at over Bt100 million

That’s only the costs of current damage, which is already worse than the major flooding in Sakon Nakhon in 1974.  It may become much more expensive including the costs of emerging diseases.

Diseases to Be Cautious During/After Floods. Water-borne diseases and Vector-borne diseases:

Leptospirosis

Cholera

Typhoid fever

Hepatitis A

Conjunctivitis

Dengue fever

Malaria

TB

59 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

I've thought this same thing for many years. Seems like every year it's the same thing, first drought then flooding; I know they have many large reservoirs but surely they could develop more. And on a side note; if they did massive projects like that, just think of all the money that would change hands, you'd think politicians/govt would be all over that!

I think a problem is getting those dams build at the right place. Now weather patterns are shifting. Plus a lot of money needs to be spend to buy the land and not everywhere is suitable for it. 

But your right normally politicians and army love big projects. 

22 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Is there a flood map that we can follow the excitement

There was one in 2011..  I just hope the information is a lot better this year. I can just imagine people using drones to report stuff.. showing how the water goes. Accurate information helps people make plans. 

1 minute ago, barrywhite said:

The ever continuing yearly farce, all will be forgotten in 6  months

Sadly I think you are right.. because I would have expected a lot to be done after 2011.. I asked a few people if they knew what has been done.. nobody could answer. So it seems YL and junta both did not do much. If they don't do much after such a massive event they won't do much after the same event on a smaller scale. 

I wonder how hard it is to overlay satellite images on a map, this would show people if the water mass is getting bigger or smaller.. of course it would not say much about the depth. Giving out food and good information is important for those flooded.

I hope the insurance will be good too as many cars will be useless.

On 7/30/2017 at 3:22 PM, robblok said:

Sadly I think you are right.. because I would have expected a lot to be done after 2011.. I asked a few people if they knew what has been done.. nobody could answer. So it seems YL and junta both did not do much. If they don't do much after such a massive event they won't do much after the same event on a smaller scale. 

Not sure about where you live but in Rangsit they have and are doing a lot.  Walls have been built levees are in place. they are continually dredging

4 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Not sure about where you live but in Rangsit they have and are doing a lot.  Walls have been built levees are in place. they are continually dredging

Nice to see something is done, I live in nonthaburi bit above BKK. But I have seen them do some stuff but nothing major. The stuff you seen them do in Rangsit.. is it seasonal.. or are these walls for a longer period of time. I mean more like permanent walls to prevent flooding. 

I might need to get out more to see what has been done, was more thinking bigger projects. As I said after 2011 they started on a big concrete sluice here (huge) but it never seemed to finish. Now they are busy with it again.