No tourists just filthy sea, dead fish and rubbish - so beach traders call it a day

webfact

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello

We live in Najomtien, so after the end of Jomtien Beach.. We have a boat and of course go with it to the islands (not Ko Larn)..

The sea there is wonderful.. right out the beaches we see on the sea a huge quantity of plastic bottles,  polystyrene food containers.. If we have to cross behind a tourist full boat.. you find dozens of those right on the water.. No discipline, no interest from thais in ecology and no respect from a majority of tourists..

Just for fun.. Few years ago we had been to the islands with a big boat and friends and a thai captain.. I had taken a bag to throw in it all containers, plastics and whatever was remaining from drinking and eating and not convenient for fishes..

2 minutes after we went out of the boat, the thai captain emptied the bag outside the boat.. in the water.. Incredible..

As somebody said there are some very nice beaches just after Jomtien Beach...

Follow Jomtien Beach at the end, keep going and the road will at one moment reach to Najomtien Soi 6 where Police station is.. Follow the soi till Sukhumvit Road and if you walk or with a bike, don t cross and go to the following soi, just after the temple.. At the end of this Soi you already have a small nice little beach..

If not enough for you the following sois also lead to beaches..

On the other point.. no tourists.. Yes, it seems dead to me..

Enjoy your stay

7 minutes ago, domdom said:

Follow Jomtien Beach at the end, keep going and the road will at one moment reach to Najomtien Soi 6 where Police station is.. Follow the soi till Sukhumvit Road and if you walk or with a bike, don t cross and go to the following soi, just after the temple.. At the end of this Soi you already have a small nice little beach..

If not enough for you the following sois also lead to beaches..

On the other point.. no tourists.. Yes, it seems dead to me..

Enjoy your stay

I see very well this beach they organize musical festivities it is the same is filled with wild garbage and the water is certainly not of better quality

The lack of environmental awareness here is sometimes mind numbing. Sometimes, when I am around Thai people who say something like I really love my country, I ask "so then why don't you take care of your country?" They give me this look. What do you mean? Why do you throw stuff in the rivers, and lakes, and throw your trash on the beach, and out of your car? Why don't you recycle your plastic and glass? Why don't you refill your water bottles, and bring them to restaurants, so you will not have to waste 600 plastic bottles a year? Why don't you bring bags with you to Tesco, when you shop, so you do not have to use all that plastic? They just do not know what to say, or how to react? You are a foreigner. You do not know anything about my country.Really? I know you guys adore plastic, and throw stuff everywhere. I see that. I know a few things. 

And another thing I know, is that eventually Thailand will gain an environmental awareness. It may be a little late, at that point. All the seafood in the Gulf may be dead by then. But, it will happen. Might take a generation or two. But it will happen. All nations mature eventually. Despite ignorance at the top. The people will figure it out. Thai people can be quite sensitive, and if given the right kinds of encouragement, and direction, they will figure it out. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

The lack of environmental awareness here is sometimes mind numbing. Sometimes, when I am around Thai people who say something like I really love my country, I ask "so then why don't you take care of your country?" They give me this look. What do you mean? Why do you throw stuff in the rivers, and lakes, and throw your trash on the beach, and out of your car? Why don't you recycle your plastic and glass? Why don't you refill your water bottles, and bring them to restaurants, so you will not have to waste 600 plastic bottles a year? Why don't you bring bags with you to Tesco, when you shop, so you do not have to use all that plastic? They just do not know what to say, or how to react? You are a foreigner. You do not know anything about my country.Really? I know you guys adore plastic, and throw stuff everywhere. I see that. I know a few things. 

And another thing I know, is that eventually Thailand will gain an environmental awareness. It may be a little late, at that point. All the seafood in the Gulf may be dead by then. But, it will happen. Might take a generation or two. But it will happen. All nations mature eventually. Despite ignorance at the top. The people will figure it out. Thai people can be quite sensitive, and if given the right kinds of encouragement, and direction, they will figure it out. 

I am of your opinion at 200%

Just now, ironbark said:

The last time I went to Pattaya and jomtien about 5 years ago the water was so filthy I decided not to waste my time going there again. There are other nicer places in Thailand to visit.. It seems nothing has changed.

The thing about being in any area in the Gulf, is that you sit on the beach and enjoy the view. But, you never actually go into the water. The runoff from the industrial estates in Ayutthaya, and Chonburi are scary. Combine that with the waste from Bangkok. And you have bacteria levels that boggle the mind. Have seen some test results. Once you see them, you do not swim in the Gulf. The Andaman yes. It is a huge body of water, that is very deep, and has alot of circulation, and is quite clean. But, the Gulf is filthy and dangerous to swim in. 

From the Wiki:

In 2003, PCD has set up 240 monitoring stations in 23 provinces along Thailand's coastline and significant islands. In 2003, monitoring results showed that coastal water of 68 percent of the stations were in "very good" and "good" quality. Thirty percent of the stations were in "fair" condition and only three percent were in "poor" quality. Compared with past data, coastal water quality was shown to have deteriorated, specifically in the areas into which four main rivers flow. The chief determinants of pollution were DO and TCB.

Water quality in the inner Gulf of Thailand, into which the Chao Phraya, Tha Chin, Pak Panang, and Rayong Rivers and several canals discharged, revealed high concentrations of domestic pollutants. Very low DO levels (0.3, 1.8, 3.5 mg/L) were found in the areas of Klong 12 Thanwa, Mae Klongand Tha Chin, respectively. Additionally, TCB and heavy metal levels appeared to be higher than allowable standards in the same area. Moreover, in Bang Pakong District the level of total suspended solids (TSS) appeared to be high.

The western seaboard generally appeared to have "good" water quality. However, TCB levels in some areas where domestic waste water discharged into the sea without treatment exceeded the standard. Water quality in most areas of the eastern seaboard was in "good" condition, except for high levels of total suspended solids and TCB in the areas of Laem Chabang and Map Ta Phut. Despite rapid growth, overall coastal water quality in the Andaman Sea were still in "very good" condition, except for the few areas that revealed concerns of DO and TCB levels.[80]

Water pollution has become obvious in many areas. In 1997, hundreds of thousands of fish and other aquatic life in the Nam Phong River died as a result of industrial pollution.[84] Large amounts of arsenic were found in the groundwater in Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, a result of mining in the area.[85] Pollution affects the marine environment. Red tides, caused by excessive algae growth and a result of pollution, oil spills, and invasive species are some of the factors that are affecting Thailand's marine biodiversity.[3]

Another major source of pollution are the heavy metals that have seeped into the rivers of Thailand. In the Chao Phraya estuary, mercury levels have far exceeded normal standards, and high concentrations of heavy metals on the river bed poses a serious threat to ecosystems.[1]

In March 2017 Associate Professor Thon Thamrongnawasawat, vice dean of the fisheries faculty of Kasetsart University, said, "... there is something terribly wrong with the Thai sea [Gulf of Thailand]." His observation followed on the deaths of two Bruda whales and two whale sharks in the Gulf of Thailand since the beginning of the year. The latest casualty is a 12-metre Bruda whale weighing about two tonnes. It washed ashore in Village Nine of Tambon Thongchai, Bang Saphan District, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province. Earlier, one six-month old Bruda whale was found dead on the beach of Ban Kung Tanod in Tambon Khao Daeng, Kui Buri District of Prachuap Khiri Khan. Two dead whale sharks that washed ashore in the past 70 days were entangled in ropes. As of 2017 there are only an estimated 100 whale sharks and about 50 Bruda whales remaining in the gulf.[86]

1 hour ago, Kabula said:

In my opinion many of these news stories are over blown.

I just got back from two days in Pattaya and walked much of the beach and never saw what is depicted here.  It appears to be the far N. part of the beach.  Granted the water is not clean, but I observed most of beach full, of tourists, no trash as the umbrella vendors keep it clean in their areas.  There were many boats loading for the Islands.  At night the area around Beach Road was full.  The wait at Hops restaurant at 8 p.m. was close to an hour!  I had a wonderful time and look forward to going back.  I don't go in the water.

In fact, I've lived here for 12 years and go to Pattaya at least once a month.  I never saw dead fish in the central part of the Pattaya beach like depicted in the photo.  Perhaps up by the pier and far north.

It's sad to see the facts twisted and all the ignorant posters who have not been to the beach recently pile on.

All beaches in the world have some trash on them from incoming tides and weather, so why pick on Pattaya?

Ignorant posters cost citizens jobs!

Well if it starts costing citizens jobs then something might eventually get done (dont hold your breath) - you must have become immune to the rubbish Kabula, and your attitude does not help the reality and gravity of the problem - it is in cataclysmic proportions in the gulf - i see dead fish regularly in Bang Saen, and the amount of plastic bands, Chang bottle tops, cigarette butts, plastic forks, bottles, bags is overwhelming - day in day out. The beach vendors do keep there areas clean, thank god, but anything away from their sacred patch is left for all too sea - the dogs, which in theory are banned from the beach, shit wherever they like. The local tourist police dont fine anyone as far as i can see. Oil gets washed up regularly, so does the bamboo from sea shellfish farms

And i have lived and visited in many places and i have never ever seen anything to compare, on any other beaches in any countries, except Cambodia (same coastline, funny that), to the scale of the problem that Thailand has on the coast around the Gulf and in the Gulf itself - god knows what the sea floor must be like.

15 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The thing about being in any area in the Gulf, is that you sit on the beach and enjoy the view. But, you never actually go into the water. The runoff from the industrial estates in Ayutthaya, and Chonburi are scary. Combine that with the waste from Bangkok. And you have bacteria levels that boggle the mind. Have seen some test results. Once you see them, you do not swim in the Gulf. The Andaman yes. It is a huge body of water, that is very deep, and has alot of circulation, and is quite clean. But, the Gulf is filthy and dangerous to swim in. 

From the Wiki:

In 2003, PCD has set up 240 monitoring stations in 23 provinces along Thailand's coastline and significant islands. In 2003, monitoring results showed that coastal water of 68 percent of the stations were in "very good" and "good" quality. Thirty percent of the stations were in "fair" condition and only three percent were in "poor" quality. Compared with past data, coastal water quality was shown to have deteriorated, specifically in the areas into which four main rivers flow. The chief determinants of pollution were DO and TCB.

Water quality in the inner Gulf of Thailand, into which the Chao Phraya, Tha Chin, Pak Panang, and Rayong Rivers and several canals discharged, revealed high concentrations of domestic pollutants. Very low DO levels (0.3, 1.8, 3.5 mg/L) were found in the areas of Klong 12 Thanwa, Mae Klongand Tha Chin, respectively. Additionally, TCB and heavy metal levels appeared to be higher than allowable standards in the same area. Moreover, in Bang Pakong District the level of total suspended solids (TSS) appeared to be high.

The western seaboard generally appeared to have "good" water quality. However, TCB levels in some areas where domestic waste water discharged into the sea without treatment exceeded the standard. Water quality in most areas of the eastern seaboard was in "good" condition, except for high levels of total suspended solids and TCB in the areas of Laem Chabang and Map Ta Phut. Despite rapid growth, overall coastal water quality in the Andaman Sea were still in "very good" condition, except for the few areas that revealed concerns of DO and TCB levels.[80]

Water pollution has become obvious in many areas. In 1997, hundreds of thousands of fish and other aquatic life in the Nam Phong River died as a result of industrial pollution.[84] Large amounts of arsenic were found in the groundwater in Nakhon Si Thammarat Province, a result of mining in the area.[85] Pollution affects the marine environment. Red tides, caused by excessive algae growth and a result of pollution, oil spills, and invasive species are some of the factors that are affecting Thailand's marine biodiversity.[3]

Another major source of pollution are the heavy metals that have seeped into the rivers of Thailand. In the Chao Phraya estuary, mercury levels have far exceeded normal standards, and high concentrations of heavy metals on the river bed poses a serious threat to ecosystems.[1]

In March 2017 Associate Professor Thon Thamrongnawasawat, vice dean of the fisheries faculty of Kasetsart University, said, "... there is something terribly wrong with the Thai sea [Gulf of Thailand]." His observation followed on the deaths of two Bruda whales and two whale sharks in the Gulf of Thailand since the beginning of the year. The latest casualty is a 12-metre Bruda whale weighing about two tonnes. It washed ashore in Village Nine of Tambon Thongchai, Bang Saphan District, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province. Earlier, one six-month old Bruda whale was found dead on the beach of Ban Kung Tanod in Tambon Khao Daeng, Kui Buri District of Prachuap Khiri Khan. Two dead whale sharks that washed ashore in the past 70 days were entangled in ropes. As of 2017 there are only an estimated 100 whale sharks and about 50 Bruda whales remaining in the gulf.[86]

Great Post - i hope Kabula, who posted that we were ignorant and costing jobs, is reading. The situation now is much worse than 2003 as well, - i would like to see more recent studies

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

You can always go inland a bit some nice resorts with pools that are clean. Prices similar to Pattaya and frankly nicer for families with kids.

Look at Facebook @theinfinity888 

I know it's good am here now.

15015600948561205477929.jpg

5 minutes ago, petercouz said:

Great Post - i hope Kabula, who posted that we were ignorant and costing jobs, is reading. The situation now is much worse than 2003 as well, - i would like to see more recent studies

(Natural News) An enormous garbage “island” found floating in the Gulf of Thailand is now threatening to move ashore onto some of Thailand’s most popular beaches.

The garbage patch, which is roughly 10 kilometers long and weighs an estimated 100 tons, was recently discovered by a fishing trawler captain off the coast of Chumphon province. The floating trash was moving northward towards Koh Talu Island and the diving and resort areas of Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, where authorities fear a disruption of the tourist trade and significant damage to the environment.

Comprised mostly of plastic, the trash slick poses a threat to marine life such as dolphins and turtles who may eat floating bags they mistake for jellyfish, and to coral, which can be killed by plastic that sinks to the bottom.

The Royal Thai Navy and Marine and Coastal Resources Department have coordinated an effort to clean up the trash – an operation estimated to take 10 days – but the latest reports are that the cleanup has been halted due to unfavorable weather conditions.

Tides and wind had already spread the debris field and some of the trash had begun to wash up on local beaches before even stronger winds and waves were predicted for the area over the following days.

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-02-16-ocean-of-trash-an-island-of-garbage-is-moving-in-on-thailands-tourist-resorts.html#

2 minutes ago, ginjag said:

It was like this in  Yingluck  days and before that.       Sorry for your agenda

No rule of law, simple - nothing gets implemented  - its all worthy Mayoral statements and lip service  - anything that does get started is never implemented or followed up - budgets run out and it all disappears down the drains with the plastic. Some schools do teach about the environment  and they draw nice pictures and do worthy projects -all good - but go outside the school, i mean right outside and the area is littered with rubbish - it is so sad - the scale of the problem is so enormous i think everyone just puts the blinkers on

Just now, MJL1962 said:

You can always go inland a bit some nice resorts with pools that are clean. Prices similar to Pattaya and frankly nicer for families with kids.

Look at Facebook @theinfinity888 

I know it's good am here now.

15015600948561205477929.jpg

I've rented a 5 bedroom House at the walking street end of Jomtien, the house is nice enough and has a pool I think the beach for the UK part of the party will be looking and laying on a beach and not swimming in the water. What is Ko Lan like these days?

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

(Natural News) An enormous garbage “island” found floating in the Gulf of Thailand is now threatening to move ashore onto some of Thailand’s most popular beaches.

The garbage patch, which is roughly 10 kilometers long and weighs an estimated 100 tons, was recently discovered by a fishing trawler captain off the coast of Chumphon province. The floating trash was moving northward towards Koh Talu Island and the diving and resort areas of Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, where authorities fear a disruption of the tourist trade and significant damage to the environment.

Comprised mostly of plastic, the trash slick poses a threat to marine life such as dolphins and turtles who may eat floating bags they mistake for jellyfish, and to coral, which can be killed by plastic that sinks to the bottom.

The Royal Thai Navy and Marine and Coastal Resources Department have coordinated an effort to clean up the trash – an operation estimated to take 10 days – but the latest reports are that the cleanup has been halted due to unfavorable weather conditions.

Tides and wind had already spread the debris field and some of the trash had begun to wash up on local beaches before even stronger winds and waves were predicted for the area over the following days.

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-02-16-ocean-of-trash-an-island-of-garbage-is-moving-in-on-thailands-tourist-resorts.html#

I am not surprised......

6 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Nightmare I'm staying in Jomtien with my family over Christmas and new year

Jomtien beach is a lot better though if you are concerned go to Koh Larn or Sattahip/Rayong for better clean water. You don't need to believe the negativity on TV

6 hours ago, zakk9 said:

It's those nasty foreigners again. Why can't they just stay home and eat their own fish?

jaunta r doing a good job already not letting us into land of smiles or rivers of tears and blood ,

Only one way get damn vendors who use the beach to make money and profit from to clean every morning  evening when arrive and pack up , other surrounding Asian countries make vendors do or they lose their spot 3 warning and out u go if u do not comply bali since the 1970s and most parts indonesian beaches + malaysia , Vietnam i was there recently danang beach clean and spotless water like a swimming pool and no farang price and local different all pay the same any restaurant or park etc,one price for all , visas easy multiple entries 3 monthly x 3 month tourist visa , thailand does not want us , only quality chinese tourist allowed

10 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

I've rented a 5 bedroom House at the walking street end of Jomtien, the house is nice enough and has a pool I think the beach for the UK part of the party will be looking and laying on a beach and not swimming in the water. What is Ko Lan like these days?

last time I went it was a lot better quality of water but the Chinese tourists can be a bit of a problem

2 minutes ago, jinners said:

Jomtien beach is a lot better though if you are concerned go to Koh Larn or Sattahip/Rayong for better clean water. You don't need to believe the negativity on TV

Yeah was thinking about Koh Lan and Rayong actually might do a couple of day trips I've been to Ko Larn about 2005 ish and a nice beach but a bit rammed. The house we are staying will be fine 

5 hours ago, habanero said:

Here's an idea..........Why don't they just clean it up?   

I know, stupid right?

huh ?   noooo....just clean up the mess ?  ehhh.... you can do that ?  naw it is to easy to lie about the beaches .......

10 minutes ago, jinners said:

why ? why would you not believe ?  do you have these fits of fantasy  often ? ....poop water , trash , dead fish , bodies in the sand , thugs , ho's , and foul smell . it is what it is .....NASTY

19 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I think you have no need to worry....while they say Jomtien Beach I'm almost sure they mean Pattaya beach.

I walk on Jomtien promenade daily and it is a nice friendly spot with traders as usual .

I hope you and your family have a great holiday and remember the old addige......" Don't believe everything you read in the papers".

Nope.  That IS Jomtien.

3 hours ago, twizzian said:

Took my little boy to Bang Saen yesterday, got fed up kicking off the plastic bags and bottles in the water.

Never again.

About 5 years and longer ago Bang Saen used to be ok for a quick day or overnight trip from Bangkok. I noticed a gradual but obvious worsening in the water quality and amount of litter/pollution since then onwards, so I stopped going. 

3 hours ago, monspencer said:

I would say that the photo is of Jomtien beach. If it was Pattaya beach the backdrop would be of the headland between Pattaya and Jomtiem. Also there would be loads of jet skiers etc, etc in the sea and the sky.

Not Jomtien. As you can see in the stock photo and the superimposed cropped news photo, it is the view toward the flashing Pattaya City sign across Pattaya Bay. You can see the line of the hills and the buildings. So Jomtien should still be OK. 

urban-city-skyline-pattaya-bay-beach-thailan-most-popular-resort-tourists-expatriates-located-east-43195707 copy.jpg