Head of Songtaew Co-op Chats/Shouts to Citylife

Pim Kemasingki

Our intern had a fiery interview with the head of the songtaew co-op. Thought you may find it interesting. 

"When we return someone’s wallet or bring them back something, no one says anything. You just bring out the negatives to attack us. What is wrong with Thai society, Chiang Mai society? Where would you all be without the cooperative to control everything?"

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/talking-songtaews/

Why send an intern? 

So many more questions to ask. Ask him what he thinks of the pollution the songtaews cause for instance. Ask him about their efforts to block alternative public transport such as the bus system. As them about their strong lobby etc. Ask him about scamming drivers and dodgy pricing.

But you sent the intern....

About the interview...."The rot starts at the top" springs to mind.

Edited by Bassosa

9 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

Why send an intern? 

So many more questions to ask. Ask him what he thinks of the pollution the songtaews cause for instance. Ask him about their efforts to block alternative public transport such as the bus system. As them about their strong lobby etc. Ask him about scamming drivers and dodgy pricing.

But you sent the intern....

About the interview...."The rot starts at the top" springs to mind.

Charming! Anyway, maybe do a bit research first before casting such aspersions?  

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/mess-transit-why-chiang-mai-doesnt-have-public-transportation/ This was our feature article that we did with a full interview...and there have been so many since which covers your questions. One article is not the sum of a publication, but it gives insight as to the mind of Singkham at this time. Which I think is interesting. 

This particular story was the IDEA of the intern and therefore she wrote it. I am proud of her and think she did a good job. 

Pim, sorry, you are looking at this only through your eyes, rose coloured presumably,  this guy gets away with almost everything he says, almost without challenge. No questions about pollution. No challenge about the assertion that many songtaews are "air conditioned" , how can they be air conditioned, they are open not closed vehicles, No challenge about the assertion that Uber etc are " illegal".....this gangster mafia bloke gets to make a biased public statement, was your intern paid a fee in exchange for all this free and biased publicity?!!!!!

1 minute ago, EL159 said:

Pim, sorry, you are looking at this only through your eyes, rose coloured presumably,  this guy gets away with almost everything he says, almost without challenge. No questions about pollution. No challenge about the assertion that many songtaews are "air conditioned" , how can they be air conditioned, they are open not closed vehicles, No challenge about the assertion that Uber etc are " illegal".....this gangster mafia bloke gets to make a biased public statement, was your intern paid a fee in exchange for all this free and biased publicity?!!!!!

And then there's the whole section about their app....

Just now, EL159 said:

That's all been covered before in many other stories. We went there to ask about his new app. It was supposed to be a news piece. Then he went on a rant. We thought it was interesting. If you are interested in a deeper story, you may find this interesting, this was the full story I did about transportation in CM. Thanks! http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/mess-transit-why-chiang-mai-doesnt-have-public-transportation/

Pim, Have you thought why outfits like Uber are growing in popularity?  Its because they DONT rip you off, like Songtaews do, its because they are in fact air conditioned which songtaews ARENT,  its because their drivers are invariably friendly and helpful, which songtaew drivers mostly ARENT, its because Uber have an app WHICH WORKS which songtaews DONT, its because with Uber the price is agreed in advance and not challenged at destination, like a lot of songtaews DO.

Songtaews are a blight on the landscape of Chiang Mai, they are more trouble than they are worth, they are old, inefficient, polluters of the environment.  THATS the type of article we would all like to read. 

Jesus, what a wingnut. He exhibits all the familiar tropes of the miniature autocrat: "How come you never say anything good about us?"; "Only we get picked on"; and the perennial "Look in the mirror before you criticize."  

I recall about 10 years ago being in a seminar with the (then) energy minister and about a hundred foreign investors. He gave the keynote, and launched into the same diatribe, "Look at yourself before criticizing us."  But nobody was criticizing him or anyone, they were looking for investment opportunities. No one had said anything at all, as he was the first speaker. The guy freaked out at the sight of a foreign audience and went full-on defensive, reactionary xenophobe. Same thing here I guess.

Gotta go, my Benz is double parked.

Get them [Rot Daeng] off the streets for public health and safety.  They are traffic jamming nuisances and they pollute.  The city needs to come of age and embrace real public transport.   The roads are dangerous enough, try and make it reasonably safe for someone to get across town within a reasonable amount of time and safely.  Now it's a hot and sweaty, smog filled ClusterF made worse when one of these blocks traffic and then accelerates in a cloud of black exhaust.  

Or, use them outside ring road 2 or 3... to get people from their homes to the main bus lines that need to be created.

Edited by Nowisee

30 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

nonsense ,fine thats your take,   but ,  leave it to the  punters  to decide  which of the  above   operators  plus the Tuk Tuks  ,which type of transport they prefer  and need

the O/P is  downing  the Songthaews(which again has been done to death)without taking  into consideration the    many  good years  of servicing  not  just  in City  Hall  boundarys, but Greater Chaingmai  in  general, the Boss should be given a pat on the back,for return of fire to  the novice Intern

again leave it to the C/Mai punters to decide who they want instead of a biased O/P,

E/S  feels very strongly let all the above operators  complete on a level playing feild,and lets see who is    stlll   standing   in  due course

its  a  More  The  Merrier good arvo to all

You're making the assumption that operators are allowed to compete. 

They're not.

"again leave it to the C/Mai punters to decide who they want"

They want bus routes, metered taxis, Uber & Grab.

Edited by Bassosa

2 hours ago, EL159 said:

And no challenge about the guys claim that his group 'control everything'.

14 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

They're not.

no assumption at all,they are completing against each other right now

you say that C/Mai punters  want  the above ,apart from bus routes,you have 3 out of four.what do you want??? Blood

20 minutes ago, Bassosa said:

They're not.

Locals also want a monorail system.

1 hour ago, EL159 said:

Pim, Have you thought why outfits like Uber are growing in popularity?  Its because they DONT rip you off, like Songtaews do, its because they are in fact air conditioned which songtaews ARENT,  its because their drivers are invariably friendly and helpful, which songtaew drivers mostly ARENT, its because Uber have an app WHICH WORKS which songtaews DONT, its because with Uber the price is agreed in advance and not challenged at destination, like a lot of songtaews DO.

Songtaews are a blight on the landscape of Chiang Mai, they are more trouble than they are worth, they are old, inefficient, polluters of the environment.  THATS the type of article we would all like to read. 

Yes, I have had occasion to tax my mind with such thoughts! And therefore am in agreement with you.  Again, if you read the link I have provided twice above, you may get to read the article you mention you long for. I hope you do, it is very informative! 

44 minutes ago, evenstevens said:

nonsense ,fine thats your take,   but ,  leave it to the  punters  to decide  which of the  above   operators  plus the Tuk Tuks  ,which type of transport they prefer  and need

the O/P is  downing  the Songthaews(which again has been done to death)without taking  into consideration the    many  good years  of servicing  not  just  in City  Hall  boundarys, but Greater Chaingmai  in  general, the Boss should be given a pat on the back,for return of fire to  the novice Intern

again leave it to the C/Mai punters to decide who they want instead of a biased O/P,

E/S  feels very strongly let all the above operators  complete on a level playing feild,and lets see who is    stlll   standing   in  due course

its  a  More  The  Merrier good arvo to all

Unfortunately you are wrong. Feedback, readers' letters, requests and comments tell us that this is a story of great interest to a vast number of Thai and expat readers...that is why we keep bringing different perspectives and voices to it.  And punters are indeed deciding, hence our articles to give them deeper clarity when we can. Have you read any Thai forums and social media groups where tens of thousands of people are discussing these issues, and most of them condemning songtaews? I would like to guess that you haven't, or you wouldn't be making such uninformed proclamations! Having lived here for 40 years, I know the history of songtaews, and unfortunately I am not impressed. I don't come to ThaiVisa often, and now I remember why; such personal insults and vitriol. I am happy to debate talking points, and really don't mind being corrected when I am wrong, but nastiness just doesn't do it for me!

I wish you all well and think I will sign out for another six months! Ciao, and have a lovely day. 

13 minutes ago, Pim Kemasingki said:

Unfortunately you are wrong. Feedback, readers' letters, requests and comments tell us that this is a story of great interest to a vast number of Thai and expat readers...that is why we keep bringing different perspectives and voices to it.  And punters are indeed deciding, hence our articles to give them deeper clarity when we can. Have you read any Thai forums and social media groups where tens of thousands of people are discussing these issues, and most of them condemning songtaews? I would like to guess that you haven't, or you wouldn't be making such uninformed proclamations! Having lived here for 40 years, I know the history of songtaews, and unfortunately I am not impressed. I don't come to ThaiVisa often, and now I remember why; such personal insults and vitriol. I am happy to debate talking points, and really don't mind being corrected when I am wrong, but nastiness just doesn't do it for me!

I wish you all well and think I will sign out for another six months! Ciao, and have a lovely day. 

no skin off E/S nose that you find my posts wrong,thats your opinion and u are certainly entitled to it

but to say they were personal insults and vitriol to you is ridicolous,, just a  my view/,opinion  and  on topic  reply  to   your O/P

Ciao ,and have a lovely day too

1 hour ago, Pim Kemasingki said:

Yes, I have had occasion to tax my mind with such thoughts! And therefore am in agreement with you.  Again, if you read the link I have provided twice above, you may get to read the article you mention you long for. I hope you do, it is very informative! 

Well I found  the article  interesting  as it confirms my impression of  the mindset of the Songteaw group that they are the chosen ones and everyone else keep out of our territory.I understand that somewhere in CM there is a compound full of empty ,rusting buses from a previous attempt to provide alternative transport,maybe a story for another day.

When catching a metered taxi these day ,you know the ones that have a meter to comply but are not enforced to use it ,that one soon gets an earbashing from the driver about those criminal types driving Uber and Grab cars.Like the days of Thaksin in Bangkok when you were interrogated whether you were a Thaksin supporter.I had a friend asked to get out when he said he was not ,but I digress.

CM has a huge pollution problem as we know and the fact that songteaw owners, who pay there way through annual exhaust emmisions tests, is just one of several reasons why they should be bought to heel but I fear they wont.

I would also imagine, having worked in the media, that interviewing these people is quite a daunting ,unpleasant and somewhat threatening experience but giving them some rope usually results in them hanging themselves.the intern deserves credit for getting into the cage

Not surprised and understandable if you dont come back to Thai Visa which now has probably a far smaller readership that it did 5-10 years ago simply because there are those waiting to pounce and dont have the manners, or intelligence, to post in a non confrontational way.

I quite expect to receive similar treatment, within the hour for supporting City Life's efforts to keep us informed.....tick, tock,tick,tock

Edited by Sparkles

1 hour ago, Pim Kemasingki said:

Although I am critical of the interview done by your intern (in the post you mention 'fiery' which I misconstrued as being a critical dialogue), I do appreciate the longer article that you provided a link of.

The one E/S failed to understand. This one:

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/citylife-articles/mess-transit-why-chiang-mai-doesnt-have-public-transportation/ 

I think it gives insight into why Uber & Grab are still operating even though they are, by law, illegal.

Edited by Bassosa

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

CM has a huge pollution problem as we know and the fact that songteaw owners, who pay there way through annual exhaust emmisions tests, is just one of several reasons why they should be bought to heel but I fear they wont.

Not surprised and understandable if you dont come back to Thai Visa which now has probably a far smaller readership that it did 5-10 years ago simply because there are those waiting to pounce and dont have the manners, or intelligence, to post in a non confrontational way.

I

Yes  C/mai has pollution problems,but it not ALL down to the  single fact that Songteaw owners, are the major players ( as you have posted above, )its across the board,for a raft of different reasons

if the O/P  wishes to refrain from posting in the future,due to the response that has been given, which in my view  has been on topic with no  confrontational intent  at all by any member, that is  her perogative,  sweet dreams to all

1 hour ago, evenstevens said:

Yes  C/mai has pollution problems,but it not ALL down to the  single fact that Songteaw owners, are the major players ( as you have posted above, )its across the board,for a raft of different reasons

if the O/P  wishes to refrain from posting in the future,due to the response that has been given, which in my view  has been on topic with no  confrontational intent  at all by any member, that is  her perogative,  sweet dreams to all

No one ever said it was solely down to the Songtaew drivers that Cm's air quality is poor. Where did you get this from?

Having said that, pretty sure the black/blue smoke being belched out from those ancient diesels isn't helping.

BTW, you forgot to mention what music you're listening too...

Edited by Bassosa

13 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I have noticed that over the last 12 months this has slipped to a very low level

With the normal people posting on THaivisa

Probably because they have nothing else to complain about

It is pity that the Songtaews 

Are Not Checked properly

For the Pollution  and passed 100%

If the CM Government Dept was honest and wanted Chiang Mai as pollution free as it could be

Maybe the Governor need to step and do His Job

11 hours ago, evenstevens said:

The fact that older songteaws can sail through emmision test, which are mandatory,,is a disgrace when the rest of residents have to comply. Songteaw drivers crying poor doesnt wash with me especially when their min fee is now 30 baht opposed to 20 baht a while back and fuel has  stayed the same price. 

This just a backlash for Uber and Grab entering their territory they ,the songeaw industry have always owned .and they just cant  comprehend competiion.

Another reason you dont see motorbike taxis,which are perfect for traffic choked,  old city travel,they were all banished to the outer areas.

I personally like the songtaews. Lets face it where else in the world can you pretty much flag down a vehicle at the very spot you are at and get transported to your exact destination!

I agree some of the older vehicles are a bit "SMOKY" and that would be where I would suggest improvements.

But in general regarding pollution and traffic how can songtaews be a bad idea ? How many people can you fit in an Uber or a taxi. Probably get 12 squished into a songtaew. So that would be 6 Ubers on the road for every songtaew.

Just try getting your motorcycle into a taxi when it breaks down ! Something that has been done many a time in a songtaew.

I know Uber does sound cheap and can't help but wonder have they actually figured in that great big number that is most important = the car ! I recently had a conversation which went like this: (talking with a friend about a friend of his)

Friend : " My friend C... has just left his job at M...."

Me: " Oh, so what is he doing now?"

" He now drives Uber"

" Oh, how is that going?"

" Oh he is so happy he makes xxx per day, much more than his old job.

"Oh well that's good, I didn't know he had a car, what kind of car did he get ?"

"Oh, he doesn't have one he borrows his brother's"

:wacko:

It is sounding like a lot of businesses here, in that the only goal is to generate income with no concern for the capital outlay.

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

I personally like the songtaews. Lets face it where else in the world can you pretty much flag down a vehicle at the very spot you are at and get transported to your exact destination!

I agree some of the older vehicles are a bit "SMOKY" and that would be where I would suggest improvements.

But in general regarding pollution and traffic how can songtaews be a bad idea ? How many people can you fit in an Uber or a taxi. Probably get 12 squished into a songtaew. So that would be 6 Ubers on the road for every songtaew.

Just try getting your motorcycle into a taxi when it breaks down ! Something that has been done many a time in a songtaew.

I know Uber does sound cheap and can't help but wonder have they actually figured in that great big number that is most important = the car ! I recently had a conversation which went like this: (talking with a friend about a friend of his)

Friend : " My friend C... has just left his job at M...."

Me: " Oh, so what is he doing now?"

" He now drives Uber"

" Oh, how is that going?"

" Oh he is so happy he makes xxx per day, much more than his old job.

"Oh well that's good, I didn't know he had a car, what kind of car did he get ?"

"Oh, he doesn't have one he borrows his brother's"

:wacko:

It is sounding like a lot of businesses here, in that the only goal is to generate income with no concern for the capital outlay.

The thing is, a lot of songthaews drive around empty, looking for punters. It's not efficient. An Uber car however, will just be stationary until he/she gets a ride. 

9 hours ago, cmsally said:

I know Uber does sound cheap and can't help but wonder have they actually figured in that great big number that is most important =

Spot on , but a day too late,the O/P called it a day for 6 months,y/day, it got a bit hot for the babe:smile: