Offline credit card processing (current status)

nss70

My wife (Thai) needs an EDC machine that can process offline purchases (deposits & virtual card) for her small hotel.

We visited several banks today and hit a brick wall of "mai dai". Apparently a tightening up of rules due to mis-use/scams/fraud.

Does anyone know of a bank (branch available on Phuket) that can still offer this to a small business?

TIA

No expert, but my guess is that they all can - card machines that I have seen all have an offline function built in to the user interface

Whether it is activated by default or not I cannot say.

Best thing is to go the bank and ask to see a machine, and scroll through the menu.  It should show an offline function as one of the menu items

@Argus Tuft You're right in thinking the feature appears in the machines menu, her current machine included. However, the feature is not-activated/blocked at the centre the machine talks to. The bank it comes from, and the others approached today, all said the feature is no longer available except for the very large hotels.

Yes, we could work our way through every bank but was hoping someone would know of one for sure.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No! It seems universal across all of the banks. Even smaller registered businesses are refused.

If you have a business bank account you can set up a business PayPal account which runs at lower commission than a private one.

Archived