Border crossing quiet times Nong khai?

Hi

i do apologise if I have posted this on the wrong subject. 

Just wondering if there is a quiet time for crossing friendship bridge?

We are planning to be in vientiene the night before I need to go to the embassy just to Make things a little easier and stay 2 nights in Laos.

since I'm with my family can I use the Thai immigration desk with my family instead of the fsrsng desk as every one knows Is busy, well it always has been when I have been there but that's always 6am ish!

Thanks again 

hopefully some one can help me again 

scott

• Like 1

Scott - been while since i was there four times year, but we liked to go in the evenings when it is really laid back with few farangs, mostly locals going home from work - it was open until 10pm i think but that might be out of date - and there was a $1 'overtime' fee.  We used to leave Nong Khai about 7pm. and do a U-turn to be back in NK before 9pm even including a meal on the Laos side of the bridge.

• Like 1

I come there often and usually around 9 - 10 AM so I have possibility to apply for a Visa before 11:30 AM,

anyway I had never a problem, also not in afternoon or later afternoon sometimes - if its not a weekend or holy day,

its maybe in the mornings - you write 6 AM more busy, rush hour?  :smile:

Just come there when it fits you well - no big thing in moment what I saw - I go to the Consulate also more late - around 11 -

before 11:30 at that time I had no waiting time inside - also I had number 380? wrote my form - worked my papers and straight to the counter - 

but next day - I came to early - better come more near to closing time for pick up - with high number same me - I had to wait about an hour+? until I got my Passport back. 

You prefer a really quiet border with a Thai Consulate on Lao side - go to Mukdahan - Savannaketh lol  5555 :smile:

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, crazydrummerpauly said:

Scott - been while since i was there four times year, but we liked to go in the evenings when it is really laid back with few farangs, mostly locals going home from work - it was open until 10pm i think but that might be out of date - and there was a $1 'overtime' fee.  We used to leave Nong Khai about 7pm. and do a U-turn to be back in NK before 9pm even including a meal on the Laos side of the bridge.

These days better plan on crossing into Laos before 9pm, I would suggest even earlier to avoid problems on the Lao side. I live here and one night I picked up a couple of backpackers who were walking into town because they couldn't cross, it was just after 9pm. Unless something has changed the bridge is open until 10pm but the Lao Visa on arrival is not.

Weekends get really busy, but the flow tends to be Lao out in the morning and then Lao back in come afternoon/evening, Sunday afternoon/evening is especially bad, usually both directions. The other busy times are when the visa buses from Bangkok arrive, maybe someone else is more familiar with those, but from what I have seen they come early in the mornings Mondays through Thursdays, then cross back over on Tuesday through Friday in the afternoons and evenings. Fridays mornings are quiet because most people don't want to apply for their visa on Friday and then wait until Monday to get it. If you don't mind spending a weekend in Laos that works well both border crossing and embassy wise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1