Slow Internet Today

nikster

I am getting max. average speeds of 15KB/sec to the U.S. today.

traceroute shows it's going over Hong Kong, Japan and into the U.S.

So I assume that one cable (?!) has been repaired and it's cheaper this way. Last week it was a lot faster going over europe, around 30 - 50 KB/s.

Or is it just us up here in the North (Pai, Mae Hong Son province)? Or is it TOT? What are speeds in other parts?

I am getting max. average speeds of 15KB/sec to the U.S. today.

traceroute shows it's going over Hong Kong, Japan and into the U.S.

So I assume that one cable (?!) has been repaired and it's cheaper this way. Last week it was a lot faster going over europe, around 30 - 50 KB/s.

Or is it just us up here in the North (Pai, Mae Hong Son province)? Or is it TOT? What are speeds in other parts?

I confirm your post about slow internet connection today 3 jan.I am in Bagkok and i use TRUE provider.

The speed test with the site http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ over usa site show about 52... 60... K bps same analogic modem .... Thai sites have normal speed.With traceroute is possible show very slow connections out of Thailand.

Problem maybe is related at recent quake in Taiwan with problems at phone cables under the sea. This is one link about quake problems. http://forum.bangkokspin.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=907

Edgar from Bangkok

Phuket using Maxnet, no speed issues. As the afternoon comes, it slows, but this a.m. it was about 800k..

Not everyday though.

Yes, but also now in Bangkok if i use the speed test from my computer to thai providers i have 800K, problem is if you make test with non Thai providers, becouse problem is from Thailand to other countries.

Try to use example http://www.bonvi.net/Test/ with Italy, the max speed here is about 6KBits same modem or mayb ISDN connection.

Edgar from Bangkok.

Probably still loss of capacity due to the earthquake. I graphed the packet loss from Europe to Asia to see if it's improving over the coming days (path: Thailand - Japan - USA and then over the Level3 backbone to Europe):

packetloss-ts-day.png

Looks like 6am (Thai time) is the best moment to use the internet......

Probably still loss of capacity due to the earthquake. I graphed the packet loss from Europe to Asia to see if it's improving over the coming days (path: Thailand - Japan - USA and then over the Level3 backbone to Europe):

packetloss-ts-day.png

Yes. and this is the time traceroute about Google.com, is possible see the slow internet connection out of Thailand

Edgar from Bangkok

post-40049-1167828945_thumb.jpg

Edited by ede0024

packetloss-ts-day.png

Thanks for the graph, very cool.

I don't think such a high packet loss is at all normal. I can confirm that around 5am thai time is a good time for fast connections, that's when I usually get up :o But today even then it was pretty slow.

My internet is a joke today also (and yesterday). I found it better 3 or 4 days ago so i find the earthquake a flimsy excuse.

Im on True highspeed.

Two things happened right after the quake:

1 - Connections got routed via Europe.

2 - It was in the holidays in Thailand so not much traffic

Now connections go over HK, which is dead slow. And everyone's back from the holidays.

I think the connection over europe, while slow, was still a lot faster than the line we have now over HK. I can only assume that that was a very expensive line or we would still have it.

The only thing we can do is call customer service and complain. As it is, this severely affects my business.

Edit: It's 6:44 am now and I get ~35KB / second. There is hope.

Edited by nikster

My internet is a joke today also (and yesterday). I found it better 3 or 4 days ago so i find the earthquake a flimsy excuse.

Im on True highspeed.

Two things happened right after the quake:

1 - Connections got routed via Europe.

2 - It was in the holidays in Thailand so not much traffic

Now connections go over HK, which is dead slow. And everyone's back from the holidays.

I think the connection over europe, while slow, was still a lot faster than the line we have now over HK. I can only assume that that was a very expensive line or we would still have it.

The only thing we can do is call customer service and complain. As it is, this severely affects my business.

Edit: It's 6:44 am now and I get ~35KB / second. There is hope.

Now at 7.30 a.m. adsl internet TRUE in Bangkok have speed from Thailand to USA at 180 Kbits, always slow, only little more speed if compared with yesterday..at noon.I think from now starting more more slow when many people starting to use net.

I think when have quake in Taiwan not only holiday in Thaland, i remember my wife is in office at job then no holiday in Thailand, but is important holiday Christmas in all world and then many lines from Europe and USA to Asia is with little traffic.

Edgar from Bangkok..

My 3,000B/month Ji-Net via TT&T connection here in Chiang Mai was either totally dead or at dial-up speed today for international access. When it works, web stuff is almost usable, but email (over SSL) and things like SSH and (s)FTP are brutal. Ji-Net said today it will be a month until things are back to normal. My job is on the internet. F*$%#k!

Things are getting worse over the past couple days. It is the slowest I have ever observed in Thailand on any kind of connection including dialup. POP3 mail is a trickle. Click a web page and the screen stays blank for 10-20 seconds before anything happens. On the bright side it makes me reminisce the days of 1200 baud modems.

I've got the following e-mail from CsLoxinfo..

Dear Valued Subscriber,

With reference to our announcement regarding International circuit degradation

due to the breakage in submarine cable which was caused by earthquake in Taiwan,

we are further informed by CAT Telecom about the cable repair schedule in 4 routes

which are expected to be completed as follows:

1. SMW3 : January 15, 2007

2. FLAG-TYCO : January 15, 2007

3. APCN2 : January 31, 2007

4. C2C : February, 2007

However, the above plan is subject to change and dependant upon prevailing weather

conditions and the extent of terminal testing.

For the details of submarine cable map, please visit http://support.csloxinfo.com/apcable.pdf .

However, the customers might be experiencing low speed when accessing

some international network or unable to access some destinations during this period.

We will update you on the progress of this incident periodically.

Your kind understanding in this matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for choosing CS LoxInfo Service.

Best Regards,

Has anyone attempted to request a full or partial refund from their ISP during this service semi-outage? I know it is not directly their fault that the int'l speeds are so slow, though we do pay them for these services (which are hardly working as of now). Just saw today on BKK Post that the repairs of the undersea lines in Taiwan are JUST NOW getting fixed, and it will be 2 - 3 weeks until it is completed.

StrongView: I asked Ji-Net today about a discount/refund as I'm sure not getting my 3000B worth of connectivity this month. Of course the answer was "sorry, no, it's not our fault". This is sort of like paying for a taxi to not go anywhere...

SoMeOnEnUlL, thanks for posting that email. Please post any others they send.

Edited by grrr

StrongView: I asked Ji-Net today about a discount/refund as I'm sure not getting my 3000B worth of connectivity this month. Of course the answer was "sorry, no, it's not our fault". This is sort of like paying for a taxi to not go anywhere...

SoMeOnEnUlL, thanks for posting that email. Please post any others they send.

why is it they blam the underwater cable what ever happened to satellite eathquake did not affect that my opinion is there is a block on all transmission leaving thailand correction a slow down on all transmission leaving thailand last year I try out loxinfo satelite system it was terrible now I don't blam the system I blam the installers of the system because I had satelite in the usa and it was very fast and very good if I knew I could get that system here in thailand I would pay for it I want a fast isp not some bull shit adsl which is just a little bit faster than a dial up I also had ttt adsl 1g paying 1000b a month I complained got the engineers over to my house and they said they could not fix it because it was europe fault now this was befor the quake and before Christmas so I cancelled I am net working of my landlord computer he is on tot adsl now the question any one know about cat telcom. they have internet high speeds and expensive but I would like to know if they are getting out with good speed to usa & europe etc my life on the net is out side of thailand I want speed speed and more speed in the usa we have cable which is very fast better than dsl or adsl maybe even better than satelite

It would be silly to ask your ISP for a discount ... all they have to provide is a connection package. They are not responsible for the

international bandwidth.

I pay for a 1024/512 package. TV's speed test is 860/399 ... not far off ... and that's a connection to Singapore.

First test your connection on TV ... then consider your discount request.

================================================================================

==

================================================================================

==

You do get your connectivity ... If a meteor strikes on the way to Sukhumvit and the taxi is not able to continue, do you blame him and don't pay him?

Edited by sniffdog

Im with TOT in BKK,

I have been on the phone for 3 days with them and just had the tech person leave my house.

Seems funny to me for them to send over a tech person after 3 days of complaining and have him check everything only to be told its due to the quake. Why wouldnt they just say that on the phone?

Anyways have been told that this will last about 2 more weeks.

My net was fine during the quake but as some of you already know, they took us of the pipe from the EU and sent us into Hong Kong way now. I find i can only use my net from 2am till 6am. then there is no point as all sites ping out.

2 weeks, good news.

I asked to speak with a Supervisor and demanded they make sure its recorded that im loosing money due to this problem and there was no way id pay for something im not able to get regardless of who is at fault.

result was the Tech person bring it in writing that my next month would be deducted the ammount of loss days.

now the ammount im sure will be a joke. let me know if you all hear anything else about the lines being down ect.....

It would be silly to ask your ISP for a discount ... all they have to provide is a connection package. They are not responsible for the

international bandwidth.

In my opinion, the ISP is absolutely responsible! You don't pay an ISP to provide a "piece" of internet access. You also indirectly pay them for their choice of upstream providers; a cost they pass on to you. Today surely extra bandwidth from an array of points on the globe could be purchased by ISP's to make this problem better instead of thumbing their noses to the problem. But since customers like you think you should absorb 100% of the costs and headaches that's exactly what they give you.

Imagine a hypothetical ISP contracts a company to launch a satellite and they have no backup, this is 100% of their upstream provider. 10 days after the satellite deorbits and the contractor goes out of business and so there is effectively no internet access from the ISP. But this being Thailand, the ISP continues billing customers every month and even signs up new customers because "it's not our fault. we paid them already and our part works". Duh!

This is the same thing and it is absolute nonsense. They sign up unreliable upstream providers (not like it's the first outage you know), not enough bandwidth to handle existing customers on a good day, no backup plan, and don't do anything when there are problems. They don't care about making it work and their "piece" is often the most poorly run part of it. It's easy to se why technology simply doesn't work in Thailand; they are completely lost and don't even understand there's anything going wrong.

I do not agree.

Thai ISP's provide Internet service from their facilities to your door with a maximum of the maximum throughputs of your package.

They are only responsible for the local part (hence that the local speed tests are always good) and have no responsibility for the international

traffic which depends on many factors (bandwidth, number of users on the total CAT network etc).

Guest RealEstateBroker

I will be back in Bangkok tomorrow after a couple weeks in the states. Without a fast connection

for a couple of hours per day I might as well not come back. My condo in Bangkok is with TOT. My

question is does anyone know of a internet cafe that somehow still has a decent connection with

paid wifi ? Sounds like a stupid question but a gal friend swears up and down some of her thai

friends have found a few places offering very fast but very expensive internet. She can't seem

to get the locations from them....go figure. Thanks for ANY help !

Edited by RealEstateBroker

I do not agree.

Thai ISP's provide Internet service from their facilities to your door with a maximum of the maximum throughputs of your package.

They are only responsible for the local part (hence that the local speed tests are always good) and have no responsibility for the international

traffic which depends on many factors (bandwidth, number of users on the total CAT network etc).

Maybe you are right. They are not providing INTERNET service but INTRANET or whatever they called that is.. :o

I have TOT Cyber Bus Gold. It is dead slow and getting worse. I'm trying to download OpenSuse Linux on DVD 3.6 gb and it tells me will complete in a month. My voip barely works and forget about remote computing to the USA.

I am in Pattaya near Sukumvhit and Pattaya Klang

Edited by yankee-expat