Shipping personal goods to thailand.

Living in europe currently with my TW who is resident here. My understanding is that we can ship a container full of personal goods as she is a returning thai. We have pretty much brand new furniture for a 3 bedroom house.

Only thing is she spent a month visting her family for easter with my daughter and ive read she would have to of been out of the country for a full year? Is that correct?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Good luck but be forewarned that as an agency, customs acts independently of  the rules and laws of the country.   You will be subject   to  the whim and  interpretation of the customs agent at the time your shipment arrives in the Kingdom.

good luck.

Edited by watcharacters
spelling
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kopite said:

Only thing is she spent a month visting her family for easter with my daughter and ive read she would have to of been out of the country for a full year? Is that correct?

A short visit like you wife made would not effect the one year requirement since she would not be here long enough to be considered taking up residence here again.

Some info is here: http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_02

• Like 1

The basic rule and law is that the main thing is that your wife has been out of Thailand for ALL TOGETHER a full year... So she is just fine in that respect...

When it comes to your goods, as said, you will be in the hands of the individual customs officer, who will treat your goods as he likes..... And in that respect tip of the day is; Do NOT ship your container via port of LAEM CHABANG...... We have had, and still have, big problem there with the customs employees... They are "old style guys" still employed, and it is not good at all....

Note also plse,,, that what you and me and the rest of the world consider to be personal effects (household goods), is not necessarily what the thai customs officer believes... They use a very narrow opinion of what is what, all in order to be able to inforce a "fee" called customs duty....

Good luck...

Glegolo

(forwarder)

Edited by glegolo

The basic rule and law is that the main thing is that your wife has been out of Thailand for ALL TOGETHER a full year... So she is just fine in that respect...

When it comes to your goods, as said, you will be in the hands of the individual customs officer, who will treat your goods as he likes..... And in that respect tip of the day is; Do NOT ship your container via port of LAEM CHABANG...... We have had, and still have, big problem there with the customs employees... They are "old style guys" still employed, and it is not good at all....

Note also plse,,, that what you and me and the rest of the world consider to be personal effects (household goods), is not necessarily what the thai customs officer believes... They use a very narrow opinion of what is what, all in order to be able to inforce a "fee" called customs duty....

Good luck...
Glegolo
(forwarder)
Yeah, of course i have my concerns. Thanks for your input!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, glegolo said:

And in that respect tip of the day is; Do NOT ship your container via port of LAEM CHABANG

I'm not sure how much control the customer has over the routeing, particularly if it's a part-container load. I've no experience of Laem Chabang, ours came in at Bangkok. I wouldn't say that customs there are any different, we still got chiselled for a 5000baht fee despite having a deal which was supposed to include all costs. I found the shipping agents in Bangkok quite unhelpful, they seemed to be acting for customs rather than us. With hindsight, if I did it again I would seek more detail from the shipper as to what their agents are like and how often they deal with them.

On 8/2/2017 at 5:43 PM, Eff1n2ret said:

I'm not sure how much control the customer has over the routeing, particularly if it's a part-container load. I've no experience of Laem Chabang, ours came in at Bangkok. I wouldn't say that customs there are any different, we still got chiselled for a 5000baht fee despite having a deal which was supposed to include all costs. I found the shipping agents in Bangkok quite unhelpful, they seemed to be acting for customs rather than us. With hindsight, if I did it again I would seek more detail from the shipper as to what their agents are like and how often they deal with them.

The OP is NOT having a LCL shipment, he is mentioning a full containerload.

If you do not know, than I can tell you...... When you book with either a forwarder OR a shipingline direct. you just ask them for port of discharge, that is just that easy!! If the shippingline says "LAEM CHABANG" = drop them,, and look for another shipping line. Otherwise go for a forwarder instead,,, who can choose for you.. that is our job...

Feels a bit strange that you admit having NO experience of L Chabang,, and still saying it is no difference...  I have excellent agent in Bangkok, so they are not all the same.... and this is based on experience not hearsay...

Glegolo

• 1 year later...