Have Type O Mult - can I get WP on that?

Hi Folks

I have a Type O (for marriage) multiple entry visa, which means every 90 days I must leave the country.  However I am just starting a new job.

I understand I can get a WP based on that Type O - correct?

But, as I would require frequent business travel, how can I address that?  Can I get a re-entry permit (multi) 1 year for my current Type O ? If so, what is required?

Many thanks

You ought to be able to sort a WP on that visa, much depends upon your local Labour Office.

Your visa is already multiple entry, no need for a re-entry permit until you get an extension of stay based upon marriage or work.

• Like 1

You can get a work permit and work with a non-o visa based upon marriage. 

You would need to attach a copy of your marriage certificate to work permit application to prove the reason for you non- visa.

No need for a re-entry permit since you have a multiple entry visa.

• Like 1

@ubonjoe - ok thanks.  But what is confusing me after our HR went to Chaeng Wattana and showed them my visa is:

The visa is a non imm O Multi, says must enter before May 2018.   When I entered TH on this visa I get 90 days stay.  Which means I have to leave the country every 90 days ( or more frequently).

CW told our HR, that they need to convert this to a 1 year visa before I can get a WP based on it.   And there is a huge laundry list of documents required for that (basically even more than the original type O application)

7 minutes ago, drbrit said:

CW told our HR, that they need to convert this to a 1 year visa before I can get a WP based on it.   And there is a huge laundry list of documents required for that (basically even more than the original type O application)

The talked to the wrong people. Immigration does not do work permits. They need to talk to the department of employment that issues work permits.

@ubonjoe  Yes I know immi are just the visa.  But with my current visa, what I don't understand is why CW told HR this needs to be converted from a 90 day visa to a 1 year visa (and ask for a stackload of docs just like an original application) to do that.   Surely my current 90 day multiple entry can just get an extension of stay (multi) and then WP applied at labour/onestop based on that

3 minutes ago, drbrit said:

@ubonjoe  Yes I know immi are just the visa.  But with my current visa, what I don't understand is why CW told HR this needs to be converted from a 90 day visa to a 1 year visa (and ask for a stackload of docs just like an original application) to do that.   Surely my current 90 day multiple entry can just get an extension of stay (multi) and then WP applied at labour/onestop based on that

Because that is what the person at immigration thinks. But it is wrong.

You would not be able to get an extension based upon working until you had a work permit.

Lots of people are working and have work permits with multiple entry visas.

Unless you are going to work for a BOI company you would not be able to use the one stop center.

You could apply for a one year extension based upon marriage and use your income from working to prove the 40k baht or greater income requirement. But to do that you would need to the work permit and 3 months of tax payments to prove the income.

I've worked for nearly 10 years on a multi O, of course leaving Thailand and returning every 90 days,  Your HR are talking to Imm' who have nothing to do with WP's as UBJ has posted.

You have to be firm and polite, at the same time, with your HR about this, always difficult to 'nicely'  prove them wrong. Imm' always want you to go B extension etc.

It's not as difficult as you are being led to believe.

Difficult I know but you will get it done and when the job finishes, if it does you still keep your 'visa' and don't end up with 7 days to leave the country as will happen if you change to B and extension.

@ubonjoe

But I would be able to get a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage if I provided evidence of 800K in bank account, and then get a WP based on that right?

Yes, my new company is BOI so yes onestop would be ok

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I've worked for nearly 10 years on a multi O, of course leaving Thailand and returning every 90 days,  Your HR are talking to Imm' who have nothing to do with WP's as UBJ has posted.

You have to be firm and polite, at the same time, with your HR about this, always difficult to 'nicely'  prove them wrong. Imm' always want you to go B extension etc.

It's not as difficult as you are being led to believe.

Difficult I know but you will get it done and when the job finishes, if it does you still keep your 'visa' and don't end up with 7 days to leave the country as will happen if you change to B and extension.

Thanks.   Yes I agree the O is better in that I don't have to leave country on termination of employment.   The type O I got from Suvannakhet is valid for up to 1 year of stay as I understand, with multiple giving me 90 days each time.   I assume (please correct me) I would leave every few weeks as required by my job and therefore maybe 10 or so entries to Thailand until the point i need to renew visa.

Just now, drbrit said:

But I would be able to get a 1 year extension of stay based on marriage if I provided evidence of 800K in bank account, and then get a WP based on that right?

For an extension based upon marriage you only need 400k baht in the bank for 2 months. The 800k baht number is for retirement.

The one stop will only do extensions based upon working. You would have to apply for CW, Also not sure they would do the work permit with with an extension based upon marriage.

If you used the 400k baht to get the extension immigration would not even need to know you have a work permit.

2 minutes ago, drbrit said:

It's 400K in the bank for a 1-year extension based on marriage to a Thai - at which point, you would need a re-entry permit to keep it alive during travel in/out of Thailand.  And, yes, you could also get a work-permit with that - just as you can already with your current 1-year multi-entry  Non-O VISA based on marriage.

2 minutes ago, drbrit said:

10 or so entries to Thailand until the point i need to renew visa

You can use the 1 year ME VISA to enter as many times as you like up to the "enter before" date - getting 90-days stay each time.

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

It's 400K in the bank for a 1-year extension based on marriage to a Thai - at which point, you would need a re-entry permit to keep it alive during travel in/out of Thailand.  And, yes, you could also get a work-permit with that - just as you can already with your current 1-year multi-entry  Non-O VISA based on marriage.

You can use the 1 year ME VISA to enter as many times as you like up to the "enter before" date - getting 90-days stay each time.

This is what I am thinking, and I am really questioning why CW have told our HR my current visa can't be used.

It is a Type O based on marriage, Multi entry, "enter by" May 2018 which I assume means it is 1 year visa, and I get 90 days per entry.   

I assumed I could simply use that to get a WP based on. (although of course need to leave country every 90d or less).   CW are saying that is not true.  That's why I am reaching out to you guys

12 minutes ago, drbrit said:

Thanks.   Yes I agree the O is better in that I don't have to leave country on termination of employment.   The type O I got from Suvannakhet is valid for up to 1 year of stay as I understand, with multiple giving me 90 days each time.   I assume (please correct me) I would leave every few weeks as required by my job and therefore maybe 10 or so entries to Thailand until the point i need to renew visa.

A few of my jobs meant going to other countries and I never had any problems going out and back in and every time obviously getting 90 (89) days when I returned.

I always had my WP with me but was never asked to show it.

The basic problem is always with the HR dept's who really don't know the regulations.

When you've done it once you'll understand how easy it is.

The requirement in the rules for a WP is a Non Imm' visa. It doesn't mention O B or any other category.

UBJ is the guy who will tell you about BOI.

Edited by overherebc

Really I suppose to UBJ. I did work for a BOI company a good few years ago and can remember getting a visa/extension stamped in my PP that was valid for nearly 3 years. B I think at the office in BKK. I resigned after 2 months when all the promises turned out to be hot air.

I flew to Penang and got a one year multi O a few days after resigning and on return the IO at Don Muang smiled and asked which visa do you want to use? both are valid.

I said new one so he stamped 'used' on the BOI visa/extension and stamped me in on the new multi 0.

Never quite understood why the BOI stamp was still valid.

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Really I suppose to UBJ. I did work for a BOI company a good few years ago and can remember getting a visa/extension stamped in my PP that was valid for nearly 3 years. B I think at the office in BKK. I resigned after 2 months when all the promises turned out to be hot air.

I flew to Penang and got a one year multi O a few days after resigning and on return the IO at Don Muang smiled and asked which visa do you want to use? both are valid.

I said new one so he stamped 'used' on the BOI visa/extension and stamped me in on the new multi 0.

Never quite understood why the BOI stamp was still valid.

The BOI-visa must have had a re-entry permit included?  Unless the company could (at that time, at least) finagle a "3 year Multi-Entry B-Visa" out of local-Immigration.  I've never heard of more than the single-entry 90-day Non-O being obtainable in-country and the PE, but it's all just a matter of connections and money.

I know in my last job I had a Non-O multi entry visa. I got the work permit but the problem was that they would only give me til the stamp in my passport before I had to do a border run. So every 3 months I would have to spend about 2 hours to get my WP updated plus had to have blood tests for each time they extended my WP. A real pain to have to keep doing. Supposedly now the WP goes by the dates of your visa or extension and not to the contract between the employer and employee. That was in my case anyway, maybe I just had a real stringent labour officer.

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

The BOI-visa must have had a re-entry permit included?  Unless the company could (at that time, at least) finagle a "3 year Multi-Entry B-Visa" out of local-Immigration.  I've never heard of more than the single-entry 90-day Non-O being obtainable in-country and the PE, but it's all just a matter of connections and money.

It was issued at the one stop centre in BKK. The whole process took adout 20 minutes.

Very large company that had massive investment and the 10 or so expats all got the visa issued that covered the 3 year BOI period. Some who joined later only got the period left of the three years as their visa life.

Not sure if it's still done that way.

6 hours ago, chowny77 said:

I know in my last job I had a Non-O multi entry visa. I got the work permit but the problem was that they would only give me til the stamp in my passport before I had to do a border run. So every 3 months I would have to spend about 2 hours to get my WP updated plus had to have blood tests for each time they extended my WP. A real pain to have to keep doing. Supposedly now the WP goes by the dates of your visa or extension and not to the contract between the employer and employee. That was in my case anyway, maybe I just had a real stringent labour officer.

Usually the WP is issued for a year ??

7 hours ago, overherebc said:

Usually the WP is issued for a year ??

I was also under the impression that the WP was issued to your working contract but supposedly not anymore. It is linked to the time left on the stamp in your passport. So like I said, every 3 months I had to re-apply for a new extension on my WP even though I was still working in the same place.

4 hours ago, chowny77 said:

I was also under the impression that the WP was issued to your working contract but supposedly not anymore. It is linked to the time left on the stamp in your passport. So like I said, every 3 months I had to re-apply for a new extension on my WP even though I was still working in the same place.

As they say in Oz, bummer mate.

4 hours ago, chowny77 said:

According the rules issued in 2008 a work permit is not tied to your permit to stay. I think you have a work permit office or your employer doing  things the old way. Perhaps your employer is only applying for a 3 month work permit instead of one year.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

According the rules issued in 2008 a work permit is not tied to your permit to stay. I think you have a work permit office or your employer doing  things the old way. Perhaps your employer is only applying for a 3 month work permit instead of one year.

You could be right uubonjoe. I think they were playing silly buggers and giving me the run around.