Pheu Thai takes flood aid to Isaan

webfact

Pheu Thai takes flood aid to Isaan

By The Nation

8900b6d7b677ccad675fcc2e01bf3070-atwb.jpg

Prominent Pheu Thai Party members went to the Northeastern region to meet with victims of this week’s massive flood and distribute survival packs.

Sudarat Keyuraphan and Pol Lt-General Wiroj Pao-in, prominent members of Pheu Thai Party, led a flood relief team to Sakon Nakhon on Thursday morning to offer help to local people in the flood-ravaged area.

The team started their journey at Phra That Choeng Chum Temple in Sakon Nakhon, dispatching a caravan of 20 trucks loaded with much-needed basic supplies to areas inundated by flood.

e3efbf35011f7ab920dd6df2e343aa7f.jpg

Sudarat then went to Ban Dontanngo in Meuang Sakon Nakhon District to meet with flood victims and in the hopes of raising local peoples’ spirits after the disaster.

It has been reported that many people have come to greet Sudarat. She hoped to go to other flooded areas on Thursday afternoon.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322678

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-03

Flood aid should not have any political direction. Any government, no matter what color, should help the affected people immediately.

Had experienced 2 massive floodings here. From the government, nobody helped us at that time. Have not seen any official who has helped with his own hands to fill the sandbags. Many talk a lot, but practical help: I have not experienced.

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

Flood aid should not have any political direction. Any government, no matter what color, should help the affected people immediately.

Had experienced 2 massive floodings here. From the government, nobody helped us at that time. Have not seen any official who has helped with his own hands to fill the sandbags. Many talk a lot, but practical help: I have not experienced.

In the past flood aid was relabeled by a certain party, I have been in 1 flood and gotten flood aid I was happy as can be with anything I got. It was mainly the army bringing it around. They did a great job during the flood. 

I was filling sandbags too.. but in the end the sandbags did not help. I pity those that are flooded. 

1 hour ago, YetAnother said:

easy political capital

That is for sure, democrats could have done the same but did not. Stupid actually. But maybe they listened to the PM that the floods should not be politicized. I doubt the people receiving the aid care where it came from. When your flooded your happy with any help.

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I think for many rulers, who almost swim in money, it is every time cheaper to distribute paracetamol tablets, instead to tackle the flood problems seriously. That costs money. But as we know, the money is already gone.

Its a fact you can't rule out all flooding, in my country famous for its water engineers we accept that certain places can't be protected (they could but the price would be too high and the tax to fund it would not be something people would be willing to pay).

Problem here in Thailand is that after the 2011 flood a lot of promises were made by the government, but nobody can tell me what they did, and nobody can tell me what the junta did flood wise. So i think the both did the same... next to nothing. Though I am hearing stories that this year Rangsit (near BKK) is having a lot of new dams and stuff, I am wondering if these are permanent structures or not.

Here where I live after the flooding they started to build a big sluice.. a bit later they stopped with it leaving it incomplete.. now they are working again on it. What i think is that often the local leaders pillage funds for projects like this and never finish them up to spec.

7 hours ago, robblok said:

Its a fact you can't rule out all flooding, in my country famous for its water engineers we accept that certain places can't be protected (they could but the price would be too high and the tax to fund it would not be something people would be willing to pay).

Problem here in Thailand is that after the 2011 flood a lot of promises were made by the government, but nobody can tell me what they did, and nobody can tell me what the junta did flood wise. So i think the both did the same... next to nothing. Though I am hearing stories that this year Rangsit (near BKK) is having a lot of new dams and stuff, I am wondering if these are permanent structures or not.

Here where I live after the flooding they started to build a big sluice.. a bit later they stopped with it leaving it incomplete.. now they are working again on it. What i think is that often the local leaders pillage funds for projects like this and never finish them up to spec.

They have a spec?

17 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

The smiles on the villagers faces look more natural than those who were with the junta PM and he look grumpy. Did Dumby went along?

They looked pretty strained - as you'd expect from people enduring flooding.

Did little missy go up, with her Gucci wellies? Or too busy this time?

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Apparently the head honcho was going to go but his aeroplane can't land...

Are you confused? That was Yingluck last time, when she said her helicopter didn't have lights so couldn't fly in the dark!

Or are aviation problems a recurring issue?

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

That was and still is the military peace time responsibilities in any natural disasters. Common in all countries and ridiculous for anyone to think otherwise.

Indeed. But in other countries it's common for the government to call in the military and work with them and actually manage and co-ordinate.

Here the military had to step in and take charge as the PTP government were incapable and more interested in other topics.

31 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed. But in other countries it's common for the government to call in the military and work with them and actually manage and co-ordinate.

Here the military had to step in and take charge as the PTP government were incapable and more interested in other topics.

Ferrying affected people and distributing food are not exactly taking charge. 

Off topic posts with the intent of hijacking the topic to another discussion about Yingluck and Thaksin have been removed.

7. Please do not post off-topic responses in an attempt to hijack the thread. Such posts will be deleted.