CU denies forcing students to prostrate in the rain in oath-taking ritual

webfact

CU denies forcing students to prostrate in the rain in oath-taking ritual

By Thai PBS

cu1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Chulalongkorn University administration clarified on Thursday (Aug 3) that it did not force first-year students to sit in the rain and to prostrate in front of the statue of King Chulalongkorn, the founder of the university, in an oath-taking ceremony.

The clarification was made by Bancha Chalapirom, vice rector for student affairs, on the university website www.chula.ac.th in response to a comment by Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal, president of the CU student council, implying that the freshies were forced to sit on the spacious lawn despite rain and to prostrate.

The defiant student leader said the students were given rain coats while the lecturers had umbrellas. He added that he could not stand the treatment of the students and left the scene with some of his friends – one of whom, he alleged, was assaulted by a lecturer.

Full story; http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cu-denies-forcing-students-prostrate-rain-oath-taking-ritual/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-08-04

Time all this demeaning grovelling started to end and get left in the past where it belongs, I have noticed quite a few people hanging about outside the cinema doors these days until the film actually starts before going in. Im pretty sure the person this University is named after actually banned prostration to himself anyway, very wise man,

Edited by Orton Rd

CU denies freshmen forced to take oath as student assaulted

By The Nation

38b349f8f2ab413c2813a12edb6034d5-atwb.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Chulalongkorn University vice rector has denied that freshmen were forced to kowtow in front of the monument of King Rama V and VI in a traditional oath taking ceremony on Thursday during heavy rains.

Assoc Prof Bancha Chalapirom issued a statement following reports that a member of the Chulalongkorn Student Council was assaulted by a lecturer after he allegedly showed disrespect to the tradition by abruptly walking out along with CU Student Council President Netiwit Chotiphatphaisal.

Pictures were widely shared on Facebook showing a lecturer grabbing a student and dragging him out while Netiwit and other CU Student Council members were leaving the ceremony.

Bancha said the incident happened because a group of students did not honour an agreement with the university that those who disagree with the tradition would pay respect to the monument by simply standing and bowing their heads.

Bancha said the student group tried to make a scene for the media to take pictures. This prompted the lecturer to become angry and lose his temper. 

The lecturer later suffered form hyperventilation and was admitted to the Chulalongkorn Hosptial, Bancha added.

At the Thursday night ceremony, freshmen sat on the ground in front of the monument and raised their hands in an ancient tradition to pay respect to the King.

Netiwit and other members of the student council were invited to take part in the ceremony. Netiwit has repeatedly expressed his opposition to the tradition of paying respect to the monument with student kowtowing, saying King Rama V himself abolished the tradition.

Bancha said in the statement that the university recognised the different opinions of some students so they were allowed to stand in a separate group and were allowed to carry out their own ceremony later.

In a Facebook response, however, Netiwit said the vice rector did not tell the whole truth.

Netiwit said Bancha had agreed with the student council that if it rained, the ceremony would be cancelled to protect the students and the students would be allowed to stand up and simply bow to the monument.

Netiwit said it rained hard but the ceremony was not cancelled and some of them were given plastic raincoats instead.

He said his group decided to walk out after seeing that the lecturers failed to honour the agreement but one of his friends was attacked by the lecturer.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30322769

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-08-04

Deary me. The powers that be in this country always seem to be in some kind of denial. Why do something if later they will have to deny it or say it was just a misunderstanding.

They must really hate social media.

10 minutes ago, Denim said:

Deary me. The powers that be in this country always seem to be in some kind of denial. Why do something if later they will have to deny it or say it was just a misunderstanding.

They must really hate social media.

assuming responsibility is a version of loss of face; insecure,non-introspective people here would never let that happen

In 1873 King Chulalongkorn abolish prostration. 

Abolition of prostration

In 1873, the Royal Siamese Government Gazette published an announcement on the abolition of prostration. In it, King Chulalongkorn declared, "The practice of prostration in Siam is severely oppressive. The subordinates have been forced to prostrate in order to elevate the dignity of the phu yai. I do not see how the practice of prostration will render any benefit to Siam. The subordinates find the performance of prostration a harsh physical practice. They have to go down on their knees for a long time until their business with the phu yai ends. They will then be allowed to stand up and retreat. This kind of practice is the source of oppression. Therefore, I want to abolish it." The Gazette directed that, "From now on, Siamese are permitted to stand up before the dignitaries. To display an act of respect, the Siamese may take a bow instead. Taking a bow will be regarded as a new form of paying respect.

1 minute ago, Moonmoon said:

Abolition of prostration

In 1873, the Royal Siamese Government Gazette published an announcement on the abolition of prostration. In it, King Chulalongkorn declared, "The practice of prostration in Siam is severely oppressive. The subordinates have been forced to prostrate in order to elevate the dignity of the phu yai. I do not see how the practice of prostration will render any benefit to Siam. The subordinates find the performance of prostration a harsh physical practice. They have to go down on their knees for a long time until their business with the phu yai ends. They will then be allowed to stand up and retreat. This kind of practice is the source of oppression. Therefore, I want to abolish it." The Gazette directed that, "From now on, Siamese are permitted to stand up before the dignitaries. To display an act of respect, the Siamese may take a bow instead. Taking a bow will be regarded as a new form of paying respect.

So, there are hidden agendas to the current practice by Chulalongkorn University administrators?

8 minutes ago, BasalBanality said:

So, there are hidden agendas to the current practice by Chulalongkorn University administrators?

Yeap. It ain't so much about bowing down to statues as it is about bowing down to people above you (lecturers, etc). Just laying down precedents and social norms so the students know their places. 

Narcissists with low-self esteem are detrimental to society and progression. Especially the ones in a position of power or authority. 

2 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Yeap. It ain't so much about bowing down to statues as it is about bowing down to people above you (lecturers, etc). Just laying down precedents and social norms so the students know their places. 

Narcissists with low-self esteem are detrimental to society and progression. Especially the ones in a position of power or authority. 

I guess this is where the mysterious influence of kreng jai gets a good dose of reinforcement and the status quo is maintained.

Chula Admin Apologizes For Student Put In Chokehold

By Asaree Thaitrakulpanich, Staff Reporter

20621978_1509312489132776_744801608215356286_n-696x464.jpg

Reungwit Bunjongrat holds a fourth-year student Supalak Damrongjit in a headlock Thursday at Chulalongkorn University. Photo: Netiwit Chotiphatchaisal

BANGKOK — Chulalongkorn University’s vice president of student affairs apologized Friday for a professor who put a student in a chokehold during the school’s annual freshmen initiation ceremony.

University Vice President Bancha Calapiron’s apology came a day after botany instructor and administrator Ruengwit Bunjongrat was filmed placing a freshman in a headlock during the campus event.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/08/04/chula-admin-apologizes-student-put-chokehold/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-08-04

What a little <deleted> of a lecturer. Assaults a student but gets admitted to the hospital for 'stress'. If you're going act tough and bully a student, just own it instead of checking into the hospital for 'stress'. Loser. :mad:

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

one of whom, he alleged, was assaulted by a lecturer.

In another headline: Three students taken to hospital after attack by teacher for uniform violation.

If true then another example of sanctioned brutality within the education system. What hope have the future generations got when this sort of behaviour by teachers and lecturers is regarded as the "norm".

Little wonder that students run around slashing and killing each other.

Edited by Cadbury

4 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Abolition of prostration

Yeah, but what would Chulalongkorn know these matters? 

4 hours ago, BasalBanality said:

I don't know, I just find it contradicting why the administrators would force their students to kowtow to the statue of the wise King Chulalongkorn that abolish the practice.

Example of 'Thainess': a CU lecturer forces a student to prostrate (picture), CU denies forcing students to prostrate, as it was not CU but only one of its lecturers forcing the student to prostrate, CU has nothing to reproach itself, incident closed. Hypocrisy.

There is IMHO something deeply disturbing in this incident, the kind of seems to have become more frequent since H. M. King Bhumibol left us.

There have always been some elements of nationalistic extremism present in the kingdom, but it was very seldom to see these manifest themselves in public.

This changed when the mourning period for His late Majesty started. With groups imposing their interpretation of strict mourning rituals to others, sometimes even violently. Did I see an uproar against this deviant attitute?

No, not at all, rather the opposite with people expressing their support. On top of which, even the DPM Gen. Prawit justifying it...

History shows that nationalism mostly evoluates towards extreme forms, even often leading to the horror of fascism.

And when this would in Thailand be supported by the present militarism, IMHO, it could lead to very dangerous and ugly situations, worse than what the fruit of populism, the red-shirts are feared for, and, even, who knows, end up in a bloddy fight with them...

As an extreme situation, Thailand is thank God, still, very far away from, the example of Spain in the early 20th century comes to mind, which ended in a bloody civil war, tearing the whole country into parts, the scars of are still present today. I hope, I hope it won't be the case in this country I love, but it is easier to prevent than to cure.

Edited by bangrak

12 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Example of 'Thainess': a CU lecturer forces a student to prostrate (picture), CU denies forcing students to prostrate, as it was not CU but only one of its lecturers forcing the student to prostrate, CU has nothing to reproach itself, incident closed. Hypocrisy.

There is IMHO something deeply disturbing in this incident, the kind of seems to have become more frequent since H. M. King Bhumibol left us.

There have always been some elements of nationalistic extremism present in the kingdom, but it was very seldom to see these manifest themselves in public.

This changed when the mourning period for His late Majesty started. With groups imposing their interpretation of strict mourning rituals to others, sometimes even violently. Did I see an uproar against this deviant attitute?

No, not at all, rather the opposite with people expressing their support. On top of which, even the DPM Gen. Prawit justifying it...

History shows that nationalism mostly evoluates towards extreme forms, even often leading to the horror of fascism.

And when this would in Thailand be supported by the present militarism, IMHO, it could lead to very dangerous and ugly situations, worse than what the fruit of populism, the red-shirts are feared for, and, even, who knows, end up in a bloddy fight with them...

As an extreme situation, Thailand is thank God, still, very far away from, the example of Spain in the early 20th century comes to mind, which ended in a bloody civil war, tearing the whole country into parts, the scars of are still present today. I hope, I hope it won't be the case in this country I love, but it is easier to prevent than to cure.

'Fear of the red shirts... ' Fear of the yellow shirts would be more accurate. 

5 hours ago, The manic said:

'Fear of the red shirts... ' Fear of the yellow shirts would be more accurate. 

Don't be manic, 'manic', do me the favour to read what I wrote a second time, maybe you will understand more, and feel a bit silly about your colour-coded epidermic reaction...

A first step, now we know the lecturer who agressed the student was a certain Ruengwit Bunjongrat. The next expected step being the disciplinary measures this CU administrator(!) will be exposed to. (My bet being: nothing as usual, maybe a lame and soft written 'apology' and all forgotten, while Mr Ruengwit's action should get him expelled from any university, especially from the so highly quoted elitarian CU (let him become a botany instructor in Pyon-Yang, maybe).

P.S.: on the picture it looks like that Ruengwit character is carrying a same kind of SW radio the BiBs use; Would this botany instructor, cum 'administrator' also wear a cerberus' cap, as a third job...?

Edited by bangrak

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

maybe I will start my own school to help bar girls learn advanced English and long wave economics.

Please make sure you get a work permit first, what is long wave economics second thoughts I will guess

I agree that whilst Thailand is still some way from Spain in the 1930s some parallels are emerging.
Personally I see rather more resemblance to Yugoslavia after Titos demise. The main source of optimism is that the redshirts, whilst not without their thuggish element are far less violent than any of the parties in Spain or Yugoslavia, and the military, whilst heavily bemedalled are less effective. A worry though, particularly for those of us with families here...