Waking in the middle of traffic? Why?

joeyg

I see the same groups already described strolling down the middle of the street, and also notice similar behavior when crossing busy intersections. With a group waiting for the light to turn red and the 'walk' sign to appear, they usually weasel their way right to the front of the group and then take several steps out into the road before they even look up to see if cars are coming. They either wait there in the roadway for the 'walk' sign, or seek a small gap between oncoming cars before dashing between them, towing children along for the ride. I saw one lady push an occupied baby carriage in front of her out into the roadway about six feet before she stopped to wait, never glancing up to check on traffic. She stood there waiting with the baby carriage dangerously exposed out in the road in front of her. They appear oblivious to the idea that they might be run over, but I think it's more along the lines of arrogance.

The Chinese do exactly the same here in Patong.........all the bloody time despite there being a pavement to walk on, blocking traffic and causing mayhem.

Spoken to some Thai motorbike taxi drivers and they hate them and drive straight at and through them (after a couple of toots on the horn) as do I on my bike.....in the car I do the same and have clipped a couple with my wing mirrors!

Lack of awareness of their surroundings or thought for others, oblivious to danger or just plain ignorant and stupid.......take your pick!

9 hours ago, joeyg said:

Like I've said I've spent a fair amount of time in India.  A little in China so I know the drill.  Here in Thailand I do my best to avoid contact or just go completely around.  Driving in China is insane.

9 hours ago, joeyg said:

. I wonder if drivers in China are as courteous

Not in Guangzhou for the 5 years I was there - they would have got run over...............(I stress I was not driving there :thumbsup:)

10 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

I see the same groups already described strolling down the middle of the street, and also notice similar behavior when crossing busy intersections. With a group waiting for the light to turn red and the 'walk' sign to appear, they usually weasel their way right to the front of the group and then take several steps out into the road before they even look up to see if cars are coming. They either wait there in the roadway for the 'walk' sign, or seek a small gap between oncoming cars before dashing between them, towing children along for the ride. I saw one lady push an occupied baby carriage in front of her out into the roadway about six feet before she stopped to wait, never glancing up to check on traffic. She stood there waiting with the baby carriage dangerously exposed out in the road in front of her. They appear oblivious to the idea that they might be run over, but I think it's more along the lines of arrogance.

Oblivious and arrogant.  Sounds like a very, very dangerous combination.  I think you nailed it though.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:47 AM, xylophone said:

The Chinese do exactly the same here in Patong.........all the bloody time despite there being a pavement to walk on, blocking traffic and causing mayhem.

Spoken to some Thai motorbike taxi drivers and they hate them and drive straight at and through them (after a couple of toots on the horn) as do I on my bike.....in the car I do the same and have clipped a couple with my wing mirrors!

Lack of awareness of their surroundings or thought for others, oblivious to danger or just plain ignorant and stupid.......take your pick!

Hard to decide.  That's my question.  No way to know for sure really.  I do find it fascinating to observe,

Saw a new version today.  Two young Chinese girls walking against traffic in the bhat bus lane.  cars were blowing their horns at them.  I didn't move. They kept walking straight and making card go around them.  There was perfectly good side walk to walk on.  This was right behind Central Mall.  Why?

Just now, maximillian said:

Don't tell me, I've seen it many times in Mumbay.

What a shame that people of the 21st century have to live like that.

Lucky to live a good life in Thailand.

Agreed.  I often count my blessings.  The value of living in Thailand is accentuated for me by the deluge of negativity that comes from the TV haters.  I've also spent quite a lot of time in India. My first trip was 1974. I've been there 16 times for extended visits up to six months at a time.  My last visit was about a year ago on a medical humanitarian expedition to West Bengal.  I swear to God I will never go back in this lifetime.

20 minutes ago, maximillian said:

What a shame that people of the 21st century have to live like that

They don't..................

"Just building toilets is not going to solve the problem, because open defecation is a practice acquired from the time you learn how to walk. When you grow up in an environment where everyone does it, even if later in life you have access to proper sanitation, you will revert back to it," says Sue Coates, chief of Wash (water, sanitation and hygiene) at Unicef.

India will be free of open defecation only when "every Indian household, every village, every part of Indian society will accept the need to use toilets and commit to do so", she says.

This is just as ingrained as corruption is in many countries in this part of the world.

Off topic, sorry.............

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

They don't..................

"Just building toilets is not going to solve the problem, because open defecation is a practice acquired from the time you learn how to walk. When you grow up in an environment where everyone does it, even if later in life you have access to proper sanitation, you will revert back to it," says Sue Coates, chief of Wash (water, sanitation and hygiene) at Unicef.

India will be free of open defecation only when "every Indian household, every village, every part of Indian society will accept the need to use toilets and commit to do so", she says.

This is just as ingrained as corruption is in many countries in this part of the world.

Off topic, sorry.............

No offense.  What does this have to do with two young Chinese girls walking against traffic On one of the busiest streets and Pattaya, Second road, occupying the bhat bus lane, while ignoring horns and oncoming driver's.  I read your statement but I still find it completely Bewildering.  Although fascinating.

14 minutes ago, joeyg said:

No offense.  What does this have to do with two young Chinese girls walking against traffic On one of the busiest streets and Pattaya, Second road, occupying the bhat bus lane, while ignoring horns and oncoming driver's.  I read your statement but I still find it completely Bewildering.  Although fascinating.

With reference to this link you posted..... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-27775327 

Fascinating yet nothing to do with the Chinese girls walking against traffic, as you say, but may have relevance to the other thread re Chinese pooping in public places!!!!!

15 minutes ago, xylophone said:

With reference to this link you posted..... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-27775327 

Fascinating yet nothing to do with the Chinese girls walking against traffic, as you say, but may have relevance to the other thread re Chinese pooping in public places!!!!!

Oops posted in wrong thread...:intheclub: