Lets start a metal band in Bangkok

Leo999

6 hours ago, jenifer d said:

actually, several times the head of our provincial immigration office asks me to sing a bit when i come in for my 90-day report, he usually requests either a few bars of "Hotel California" or "Sang Kha Ou"

Because the head of YOUR provincial immigration office allows YOU to perform doesn't make it a rule or law.

6 hours ago, jenifer d said:

in the case of music, often they look the other way, consider it "jamming" and not actually working, especially if they don't see money changing hands...

Often I can cross the road with my eyes closed, but that doesn't mean I would advise it to anyone else.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:57 PM, janclaes47 said:

Rules are pretty clear. If you were being paid to perform you need a wp. If you play for free for fun then you don't  also need a wp.

This has always been my understanding as well, although I've heard stories about bars or clubs in Bangkok where farangs don't need work permits to play because the proprietors have some sort of "understanding" with the BIB.

On 8/6/2017 at 7:55 PM, Here2008 said:

Except that playing for free perhaps condemns Thai musicians to not receiving an engagement/income ?  

That's the reasoning employed by the powers that be.

However, IMO, it's a raw deal for fans of live music who would prefer to hear, say, real American music instead of the usual Thai knock-off version.

On Sukhumvit Soi 8 (Nana BTS, Exit-4) is a bar named Det-5 (200+ yards on left side) that has jams Monday nights...you might find some like minded musicians there.

The only time casual bands usually run into problems playing small joints is when a nearby competing bar gets P.O'd and calls the BIB.  Happened to a friend of mine playing in a little bar in Surin...Cops just told him he couldn't play.  Feuds between bars are not uncommon. 

Edited by dddave

Foo Fighters play at IMPACT on August 24. I thought this might interest some people here in this topic.

Sorry for posting this even though I am that old fart pretending to be 20 years old (in my case, I even pretend to be just 19 years old)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes its mostly for fun. Once or twice a week mainly for the love of the music.

I am in Thailand on a work permit so no worries. Of course you have to be aware of the rules.

IC there are not a lot of musicians here interested in a metal jam but good to know plenty of people have time on their hands. Its a start I suppose lol.

Just now, Leo999 said:

Yes its mostly for fun. Once or twice a week mainly for the love of the music.

I am in Thailand on a work permit so no worries. Of course you have to be aware of the rules.

IC there are not a lot of musicians here interested in a metal jam but good to know plenty of people have time on their hands. Its a start I suppose lol.

Its written in your work permit you can play gigs ?

1 minute ago, Techno Viking said:

Its written in your work permit you can play gigs ?

No I just have a general work permit for my regular day job. There are plenty of falangs out here on work permits who either join open jam nights or play little shacks in the middle of nowhere for an hour or two every month or so. Getting fined and all is mostly saved for the sukhumvit crowd or tourist area places where you can't fart in public without getting a fine of some sorts. I have friends who know bar owners who allow jammers to get up now and again. Its not all under the scope as a lot of people would have you believe.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:39 PM, jenifer d said:

true- but they also often look the other way if they don't see money changing hands, it is often just termed "jamming" and not actually "working"; depends on where and when, and often who...

Thanks Jen. Yes its all possible. There are some things here that can be done much more easily than even back in falangland. Sometimes when there is no cash involved and you have a friendly smile and willing to share your bottle at the table you would be surprised whats possible.