Chang mai to pai

mrblonde

I'm coming to Thailand in November with my English girlfriend and we're planning 8 or 9 days in Chang mai, well, we were until I saw Pai. It looks stunning, so we'd love 3 or 4 days there but my gf isn't a fan of buses or coaches, what's the best alternative way to get there please? 

And any recommendations on places to stay there and things to see? We'd rather a nice hotel than a cheaper hostel type place? 

Scooter !!! if you have experience riding a bike .  November will be dry and you can go at your own pace .Loads of places to stop on the way for a meal or a coffee .If riding two up you will need ideally a 150 cc such as the Honda PCX .You can hire scooters at many places in Chiang mai .Don't leave your passport just a copy  with the rental company.

2 hours ago, anto said:

Scooter !!! if you have experience riding a bike .  November will be dry and you can go at your own pace .Loads of places to stop on the way for a meal or a coffee .If riding two up you will need ideally a 150 cc such as the Honda PCX .You can hire scooters at many places in Chiang mai .Don't leave your passport just a copy  with the rental company.

Any suggestions as to which bike rental places in C M rent without keeping passport? I doubt a newbie would be able to find out.

Also you might have warned him that many tourists are injured or worse using m'bikes on dangerous Thai roads, plus the road leading to Pai is one of the worst in Thailand, and not for someone not used to riding in Thailand. Plus, riding without a m'bike licence voids insurance.

I have lots of riding experience in Thailand, and a Thai m'bike licence, but I wouldn't ride that road on a scooter. Big bike maybe, but nothing with little wheels.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

3 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

You might want to think about flying to Pai from Chiang Mai.  Here is a link: http://www.domesticflightsthailand.com/chiang-mai-to-pai.php

Why? The trip to/ from Pai is probably more interesting than the place. Loads of interesting places to stop at, and a night at Cave Lodge would be the peach.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Any suggestions as to which bike rental places in C M rent without keeping passport? I doubt a newbie would be able to find out.

Also you might have warned him that many tourists are injured or worse using m'bikes on dangerous Thai roads, plus the road leading to Pai is one of the worst in Thailand, and not for someone not used to riding in Thailand. Plus, riding without a m'bike licence voids insurance.

I used to rent out bikes myself through my Thai wife .We took copy of Passport plus a cash deposit .As far as i know Mr Mechanic Rental in the Old City just require a Copy .They have 2 or 3 branches .

I did say for him to rent only if he has bike experience .The road to Pai has been improved in the last few years .As long as its dry and you take your time and dont speed its a doddle . About a motorbike licence ,yes legally you need an international one as a tourist .The insurance you get anyway with a hire bike is the bare minimum .Any payout is a pittance .

We'd rather a nice hotel than a cheaper hostel type place? 

Plenty of hotels/ guesthouses in Pai. Even though it's high season, most of the bagpacker crowd stay in hostels for some reason unknown to me, so shouldn't be a problem finding a room.

If, as recommended, using a rental car, the rural area on the approach to Pai is very scenic to stay at.

I don't recommend prebooking a place as I like to check the room before committing and make sure it's not next to an all night karaoke or a building site.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

Just now, anto said:

I used to rent out bikes myself through my Thai wife .We took copy of Passport plus a cash deposit .As far as i know Mr Mechanic Rental in the Old City just require a Copy .They have 2 or 3 branches .

I did say for him to rent only if he has bike experience .The road to Pai has been improved in the last few years .As long as its dry and you take your time and dont speed its a doddle . About a motorbike licence ,yes legally you need an international one as a tourist .The insurance you get anyway with a hire bike is the bare minimum .Any payout is a pittance .

Thanks for that information. I'll check out Mr Mechanic for myself.

Not wishing to get into a dispute, but bike experience in a western country is hardly a qualification for riding in Thailand. I speak as one put in hospital by a Thai rider not looking where he was going. That would have cost me 50,000 baht if I had not had good Thai insurance, but as that cost 60,000 baht I was actually down 10,000 baht as only one claim that year.

Travel insurance usually requires a home m'bike license, and an international one is usually required if one has an accident in Thailand ( unless in possession of a Thai one ).

>>Not wishing to get into a dispute, but bike experience in a western country is hardly a qualification for riding in Thailand. I speak as one put in hospital by a Thai rider not looking where he was going. That would have cost me 50,000 baht if I had not had good Thai insurance, but as that cost 60,000 baht I was actually down 10,000 baht as only one claim that year.<<

Not argueing with you ,but cars are the biggest danger to riders in any country .When i lived in the UK they had a safety campaign called ''think bike '' ,On the road to Pai ,which i have done several times by bike ,the biggest danger is the speeding mini vans .

7 minutes ago, anto said:

>>Not wishing to get into a dispute, but bike experience in a western country is hardly a qualification for riding in Thailand. I speak as one put in hospital by a Thai rider not looking where he was going. That would have cost me 50,000 baht if I had not had good Thai insurance, but as that cost 60,000 baht I was actually down 10,000 baht as only one claim that year.<<

Not argueing with you ,but cars are the biggest danger to riders in any country .When i lived in the UK they had a safety campaign called ''think bike '' ,On the road to Pai ,which i have done several times by bike ,the biggest danger is the speeding mini vans .

Mini vans are probably the biggest danger to passengers and others of all the vehicles in LOS, but someone never been in Thailand would not know that.

The one good thing about Thai highways is that they always have a m'bike/ scooter lane to ride in, but I don't think the Pai road has them- tell me if I'm wrong.

If there are m'bike lanes, the biggest danger is sand as they never clean them, and a two wheeler is going to skid if it hits sand on a corner.

We just went to Pai a couple weeks ago (we drive our car) and the road was excellent the whole way... Recently repaved... If you are familiar with driving a motor scooter, drive defensively with care and drive slowly a motorbike will be fine and is a great experience...  

A great place to rent a bike is the place just across the street from Kad Suan Kaew... The guy who owns it works there behind the counter and is very nice and helpful... He accepts 3,000 baht as a deposit with no passport... Make sure you all wear helmets as you will most likely go thru a couple police stops in the city and on the highway up

With your motor scooter a great day trip from Pai is to Tham Lot Cave!

ID_1190_Large.jpg

The road to Pai had significant sections repaved and widened just last year or so. The highway from CNX to Pai is not the tight twisty road of legend. The narrow corkscrew turns that would test your sphincter muscles are long gone. Just stick close to the shoulder and don't rush and you will be quite safe.  Dozens of newbie scooter drivers do the road daily without incident.  There are now countless places to stop for coffee so take your time and enjoy the views.

Have a few days in CM at the start, fly to Mae Hong Son (Bangkok Airways) stay a night or two. Short scenic bus ride to Pai, few days there, bus back to CM.

Maybe work you itinerary so that after Pai and your return to Chiang Mai you take the bus to Thaton. One night in Thaton and take a bamboo raft down the river to Chiang Rai. Fly out of Chiang Rai at the end to Bangkok or wherever.

It's better to take the bus from the bus station rather than some minibus offered by a hotel or guest house.

18 hours ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Maybe work you itinerary so that after Pai and your return to Chiang Mai you take the bus to Thaton. One night in Thaton and take a bamboo raft down the river to Chiang Rai. Fly out of Chiang Rai at the end to Bangkok or wherever.

Second this idea, but if you jump off the minibus from Pai in Mae Tang, you can then catch the big bus to Fang/Thaton from there, no need to come all-the-way back into Chiang Mai, and (last I heard) the long-tail boat from Thaton leaves daily at 12.30-only, it's definitely fun !

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/08/2017 at 9:43 PM, WinnieTheKhwai said:

You could also book a car and driver.  That will also allow you to stop along the way at some nice / interesting places.  (Or just rent a car and drive yourself of course.)   Car and driver will be something like 3500 Baht including fuel.

Thanks Winnie

Hows best/safest to find a driver in Chang Mai for the Pai trip?  and is the 3500 one way I'm guessing? 

10 minutes ago, mrblonde said:

Thanks Winnie

Hows best/safest to find a driver in Chang Mai for the Pai trip?  and is the 3500 one way I'm guessing? 

Yes .If your that flush you can fly there .Pai has an airport .Kan air i think is the airline ?

I have lots of riding experience in Thailand, and a Thai m'bike licence, but I wouldn't ride that road on a scooter. Big bike maybe, but nothing with little wheels.

Pop's will rent big bikes with a cash deposit and a photocopy of your passport. They've just taken delivery of a couple hundred brand new bikes. I've rented from both Pop's and Buddy (the one across from Kad Suan Keow). Pop's has better equipment. For me, going that distance, I'd rather have the new or nearly new bike. But that's just one guy's opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 minutes ago, CaliTransplant said:

Pop's will rent big bikes with a cash deposit and a photocopy of your passport. They've just taken delivery of a couple hundred brand new bikes. I've rented from both Pop's and Buddy (the one across from Kad Suan Keow). Pop's has better equipment. For me, going that distance, I'd rather have the new or nearly new bike. But that's just one guy's opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pop himself died recently .A good man by all accounts .His family must be keeping the business going .100s more bikes though ? I would have thought that they were vastly over stocked already .