Buying New Hp Laptop In Pattaya

dsfbrit

I am planning going to buy an HP notebook in the next few days.

HP Pavilion dv6108tx, Dual Mobile Technology.

This is the full spec.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/th/en/ho/WF...4-77994827.html

- I am planning to buy this in Dcom in South Pattaya

- There are 2 shops that have them, one is slightly cheaper than the other 39K versus 41K

- The slightly more expensive offering is upstairs (5th floor) in a large shop with HP authorisation, compared to the other being a little shop on the 3rd floor.

The extra couple of Thousand Baht is not a big issue, I would rather buy in the larger shop as it looks more reputable.

Does it make a differencce where I buy it though, I guess if it does not work it will go to an HP repair centre ?

Is there an HP centre in Pattaya?

Does anyone have one of these HP Pc's

This is the full spec.

- There are 2 shops that have them, one is slightly cheaper than the other 39K versus 41K

- The slightly more expensive offering is upstairs (5th floor) in a large shop with HP authorisation, compared to the other being a little shop on the 3rd floor.

The extra couple of Thousand Baht is not a big issue, I would rather buy in the larger shop as it looks more reputable.

Does it make a differencce where I buy it though, I guess if it does not work it will go to an HP repair centre ?

The processor looks pretty low spec - 1.66 Core Duo - everything else looks good. It should be a Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz for that price...

Then again, you won't notice the difference unless you do some really specialized apps. For internet, word, email etc this is plenty.

Don't know how HP handles warranties, but keep in mind that something _will_ go wrong at some point. I have Acer and they always go straight to the Acer repair center so the dealer you bought it at doesn't matter one bit. I heard good things about HP support in Thailand.

This is the full spec.

The processor looks pretty low spec - 1.66 Core Duo - everything else looks good. It should be a Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz for that price...

Then again, you won't notice the difference unless you do some really specialized apps. For internet, word, email etc this is plenty.

Don't know how HP handles warranties, but keep in mind that something _will_ go wrong at some point. I have Acer and they always go straight to the Acer repair center so the dealer you bought it at doesn't matter one bit. I heard good things about HP support in Thailand.

Thanks for the reply.

My thoughts entirely. Regarding the Acer, I was really impressed with what they offered for the price, but dont really know that much about them so 'bottled out' of buying one.

The shop on the 5th floor might be big and look reputable, but their service department is pretty bad!

You'd be better of contacting HP support directly in case of troubles, so where you buy is a moot point then.

Wouldn't touch a HP/Compaq with a 10 foot barge pole. After sales service in BKK sucks. Bought a new model Presario and the main board failed less then three weeks later. Then HP took 5 weeks to ship a new board into Thailand to fix it.

Stick with IBM/Lenovo....state of the art technology and with the resources to back it up.

I don't really want to plug any brand. I just want to say that I am still using my Compaq Presario that is well over 8 years old, still going strong (although I can take a quick nap while waiting), and is still using the original Windows 98 that it came with. I also bought an HP Pavilion about 2 1/2 years ago. I bought it at Chi Chang computer in Chiangmai for the sole reason that they were listed in the HP website as an authorized service representative for HP. I can't say anything about their service because I haven't needed any.

This is the full spec.

Thanks for the reply.

My thoughts entirely. Regarding the Acer, I was really impressed with what they offered for the price, but dont really know that much about them so 'bottled out' of buying one.

I have had both HP and Acer in the past and maybe surprisingly would choose Acer every time both for VFM and Reliability :o

The shop on the 5th floor might be big and look reputable, but their service department is pretty bad!

You'd be better of contacting HP support directly in case of troubles, so where you buy is a moot point then.

Does the service dept just put a label on the PC and send it off to HP?

So, If the PC breaks down I would miss out the shop and take it directly to an HP service centre?

I wanted to buy this at Wantana is Central Pattaya -opp Carrefour - but they could not get it for me.

Edited by dsfbrit

[quote name='dsfbrit' post='1061962'

I have had both HP and Acer in the past and maybe surprisingly would choose Acer every time both for VFM and Reliability :o

Acer support is good then ? As I said - I was impressed with their price.

Do you Know if Acer have a Service Centre in Pattaya?

I will look it up in Google.

Edited by dsfbrit

don't do it... I have an HP Pavillion dv4000 purchased last March and it is junk...the only reason I bought it is that there is a service center in BKK...otherwise I woulda bought a Dell laptop (no service in Thailand)...

junk

junk

junk...

I have a Dell Inspiron 7500. I love it and would buy another Dell, but as you say there is no support here in Thailand. Its frustrating as I am going to England for a few weeks at the end of this month as could easily bring one back.

I thought about trying to upgrade my 7500, but battery needs replacing, 12 BGyte harddrive, 0.46 CPU - so not really an option. Bought 6 years ago - cost 2000 quid then - a bit cheaper now !

Supposedly Acer's service is pretty good in Thailand, not sure they have a service department in Pattaya though...

Does the service dept just put a label on the PC and send it off to HP?

There are reports (on the grapevine, not personally confirmed) that that shop sends the faulty piece of equipment to their own repair shop and then try to charge you a very high price for something the manufacturer would have repaired free under warranty...

With equipment which holds consumables there are several reports these consumables mysteriously vanish.

In my case I send in a colour laser printer for repair (faulty usb port), when it came back I checked the toner cartridges' levels which were in order.

Took it home and 100 prints or so later the thing stopped telling me I need a new photoconductor. This should last 15000 prints, I managed only 1500 so it was probably replaced with an old almost run down unit

This photoconductor costs a whopping 12,000 Baht!!!

If you bring in any equipment for repairs, check it over as good as possible. It is not unknown for parts to disappear, or being replaced with inferior pieces.

Are HP and Compaq one and the same?

I've been advised to look at Dell Laptops by some of my American friends, they are reputed to be of tougher build design and components last a lot longer.

I own a Compaq Presario and find them to quite quirky compared to Dells.

But in Thailand it seems that Dell is very hard to get hold of.

Wouldn't touch a HP/Compaq with a 10 foot barge pole. After sales service in BKK sucks. Bought a new model Presario and the main board failed less then three weeks later. Then HP took 5 weeks to ship a new board into Thailand to fix it.

Stick with IBM/Lenovo....state of the art technology and with the resources to back it up.

Around Pattaya, the features on the IBM/Lenova are so poor - ie: 60 Gbyte disk drives. I asked if I could have a larger disk drive etc... no I cannot - fair enough! Also just Dos OS as standard. I could load up my own XP so its not a big problem.

Is it possible to spec out your own system in Thailand.

Are HP and Compaq one and the same?

I've been advised to look at Dell Laptops by some of my American friends, they are reputed to be of tougher build design and components last a lot longer.

I own a Compaq Presario and find them to quite quirky compared to Dells.

But in Thailand it seems that Dell is very hard to get hold of.

They took them over some time ago.

I may be shot down for saying this, I dont know anyone who has had a Dell that doesn't have good wrods to say about them. I have had mine 6 years and not a problem. I suspect the people with the exploding batteries were not too pleased, but that was a Sony fault not Dell.

Cannot really get them in Thailand - I have heard of a few old spec machines being sold - thats all.

There are reports (on the grapevine, not personally confirmed) that that shop sends the faulty piece of equipment to their own repair shop and then try to charge you a very high price for something the manufacturer would have repaired free under warranty...

With equipment which holds consumables there are several reports these consumables mysteriously vanish.

In my case I send in a colour laser printer for repair (faulty usb port), when it came back I checked the toner cartridges' levels which were in order.

Took it home and 100 prints or so later the thing stopped telling me I need a new photoconductor. This should last 15000 prints, I managed only 1500 so it was probably replaced with an old almost run down unit

This photoconductor costs a whopping 12,000 Baht!!!

If you bring in any equipment for repairs, check it over as good as possible. It is not unknown for parts to disappear, or being replaced with inferior pieces.

hmmm... I think I will give going there a 'miss'. Thanks for that.

In fact I reckon I will go to Wattana in Central Pattaya and see what they can get me. Its a good shop, had lots of dealings with them - very good.

At least I will know then that if I have any problems I can get them fixed.

Edited by dsfbrit

I'll never touch HP again too. Reliability is questionable and after sales service was poor. At least it was for my Compaq notebook at work and my PC at home. They only offered a 12 month warranty (bought from IT City in Central Rama 3).

My HP Pavillion PC's 17" LCD monitor broke down 2 weeks after warranty expired. A class action lawsuit was even being filed against them in the states because of this shoddy monitor. I took copies of the website, the lawsuit, and spoke with the manager, when I took it in to be repaired, trying to angle for a bit of flexibility seeing as it was just two weeks and it was an acknoweldged problem.

HP's solution? They agreed to consider it. A week later they called me and offered to replace it if I paid BT 17,000, and would give me another 12 month warranty. I brought a new 20" Widescreen Benq with a 3 year warranty for an extra 2000 Baht instead and have been overjoyed with it.

My (well work's) Compaq notebook power button stopped working. Took it in for repairs, two weeks later they returned it and within another week the same thing happened. Looks like its okay now though... (cross fingers)

My colleagues have all experienced problems with the Compaq notebooks too, our head of IT is practically begging management to change suppliers.

Edited by quiksilva