Re entry permit at dmk

Hey all, after reading a bit into it on other topics, anyone know how long the process is to get a re entry permit at dmk? I'll be flying to siem reap from chiang Mai and have a lay over at dmk for only 2 hours.. If the flight is on time of course.

Basically, do I have enough time to get a re entry permit at dmk while taking into account; grabbing bags from domestic arrivals and then heading to international departures and catching my flight in time.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You should have enough time.

The re-entry permit desk is after departure immigration.

To save time you should have the TM8 form completed with a photo attached and a copy of your passport photo page, visa, extension stamp, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

• Like 2

If your flight into Don Muang is on time, it is fairly comfortable to get the re-entry permit as you leave. In my opinion, that is a big "if", especially if traveling later in the day. Is there any way you can avoid checked baggage? Which airline are you leaving on, and where to? Getting baggage checked for some international flights can be a time consuming nightmare.

• Like 2

Thank you both for being helpful as usual. I'm flying with Air Asia. I am "scheduled" to arrive at DMK from CNX at 11:20. I am then "scheduled" to fly to Siem Reap at 13:30.

I will definitely have all my papers ready beforehand. We must check in bags because we will be in the middle of a 3 week trip. I had even called Air Asia's guest services hot line because I was worried about what would happen if the plane was delayed and I missed the flight to Cambodia. They basically just told me not to worry about it and to contact staff if the problem did arise..

Just wondering if there is a long queue at all, or if its just a quick in and out of the "re-entry" office if I have everything prepped.

51 minutes ago, tbryant15 said:

Just wondering if there is a long queue at all, or if its just a quick in and out of the "re-entry" office if I have everything prepped

At Don Muang, re-entry permits are handled in the same office that handles overstays. Usually, if you have all the papers ready, I would expect it to take 5-15 minutes. If there does happen to be a queue, and you are pressed for time, maybe a polite explanation might get you expedited.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You should have enough time.

The re-entry permit desk is after departure immigration.

To save time you should have the TM8 form completed with a photo attached and a copy of your passport photo page, visa, extension stamp, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

In a recent thread concerning the again relocated Re-Entry desk at Suvarnabhumi, it was said that at that location they are no longer accepting pre-prepared TM-8  and use their own system, apparently taking the photo on site.  Is this system not being used at DMK and pre-prepared TM-8s and photos accepted? 

4 hours ago, dddave said:

In a recent thread concerning the again relocated Re-Entry desk at Suvarnabhumi, it was said that at that location they are no longer accepting pre-prepared TM-8  and use their own system, apparently taking the photo on site.  Is this system not being used at DMK and pre-prepared TM-8s and photos accepted? 

DMK does not have the same setup as Souvannaphoum where they charge a 200 baht service fee to do it. I think though Souvannaphoum will still accept a completed form and etc.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

Keep in mind the waiting time at the DMK immigration desk (outbound as well as inbound) can be easily an hour or even A LOT more.

VERY risky schedule, yours.....

Definitely worried about this. Was hoping it was more of an inbound issue though. I have flown internationally from both DMK and BKK numerous times.. never had to wait very long. 

Now I'm just thinking of going to immigration and just doing it there, I can do it now at Chaeng or since I'll be in Chiang Mai for a few days before I leave the country I can try to get one at their immigration?.. Currently reading up on Promenada Immigration

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tbryant15 said:
13 hours ago, THAILIBAN said:

Keep in mind the waiting time at the DMK immigration desk (outbound as well as inbound) can be easily an hour or even A LOT more.

VERY risky schedule, yours.....

Definitely worried about this. Was hoping it was more of an inbound issue though. I have flown internationally from both DMK and BKK numerous times.. never had to wait very long. 

Now I'm just thinking of going to immigration and just doing it there, I can do it now at Chaeng or since I'll be in Chiang Mai for a few days before I leave the country I can try to get one at their immigration?.. Currently reading up on Promenada Immigration

I do not think the time to get the re-entry permit is what should worry you most, to be honest. Apart from concerns about when your Air Asia domestic flight will actually arrive, my concern would be

• The queue to check bags for your flight to Cambodia. Unless you have experienced it, you have no conception of the madhouse you can be faced with at Air Asia international check in. It is totally unpredictable: sometimes OK, but potentially chaos. The good news is that noon is not the worst time.
  • Thai immigration queue, though my own experience is that outbound this never takes as much as an hour.
  • Security, which sometimes can be 30 minutes or so.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tbryant15 said:

If you have time go to Promenada at Chiangmai Immigration . I was there Yesterday around 10 am and there was no large queue.  Re-entry desk should not take much time waiting. Photocopies and photo available in the same area.

For peace of mind I would  get my re-entry permit before the flight .

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tbryant15 said:

Many travelers over-think/worry about their timing when it comes to getting the re-entry permit at DMK. I've done it many times and never had more than a 20 minute wait. Just bring your own photos. No need to fill out a downloaded form, they provide their own. 1000Baht. In 11 years in Thailand, I only remember once being stuck in Passport Control line while exiting the country at Suvarnabhumi. It was kind of nerve wracking. A horde of Middle Eastern/Indian people traveling through. Quite unusual, IMO. So, if you are prone to worry, go to your local Immigration office and get the re-entry there.

• Like 1

Did the reentry 5 times in 5 months because of going to KL early mornings. never had any problem. usually have a laugh and joke with the staff. Takes no more than 7 minutes.

I would never ever, ever, wait for a reentry at CWattana 3 hours again. Ever.

Eddy

• Like 1

Just depends on how busy DMK is when you're there - took me 5 minutes the one time I've done it there, but if it's busy it could take you a lot longer.

As others have said to be on the safe side go out to Promenada and sort it out before you go. The drive out there and back will probably be longer than it takes for you to get it processed. 

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

I do not think the time to get the re-entry permit is what should worry you most, to be honest. Apart from concerns about when your Air Asia domestic flight will actually arrive, my concern would be

• The queue to check bags for your flight to Cambodia. Unless you have experienced it, you have no conception of the madhouse you can be faced with at Air Asia international check in. It is totally unpredictable: sometimes OK, but potentially chaos. The good news is that noon is not the worst time.
  • Thai immigration queue, though my own experience is that outbound this never takes as much as an hour.
  • Security, which sometimes can be 30 minutes or so.

Agreed. I was already worried with the time. Like I said earlier, I had called Air Asia about some way to expedite me transferring from domestic to international since I did book it as "one ticket" rather than "two separate tickets". They just told me not to worry.. and just contact staff when I get there. "mai bpen rai" right.. The next flight to siem reap from DMK through Air asia isn't until like 20:00 so if I miss my flight.. I'll be pretty upset.

6 hours ago, cnx355 said:

If you have time go to Promenada at Chiangmai Immigration . I was there Yesterday around 10 am and there was no large queue.  Re-entry desk should not take much time waiting. Photocopies and photo available in the same area.

For peace of mind I would  get my re-entry permit before the flight .

Cheers! Thanks. Will most likely take this route. I won't be in Chiang Mai for another week but I really don't want to go to Chaeng immigration again as I was just there last week for longer than expected.

15 hours ago, pauleddy said:

I would never ever, ever, wait for a reentry at CWattana 3 hours again. Ever.

Eddy

I have always wondered what the re-entry form's purpose is. I have worked in several other countries in the course of my life but none of them had this requirement. After all, if the government has given you permission to live in the country, you have valid documents to enter the Kingdom. Why then is an additional re-entry permit necessary? It is a major inconvenience, especially for people who travel abroad often, like business people, oil workers, etc. Isn't the form superfluous? If it could be abolished lives of very busy Immigration officers would become a little easier.                               It also reminds me of the tax clearance form that (long ago) was required every time one left the country. That required another long, time-consuming trip to the Tax Department. Eventually that requirement was cancelled because it was found to be unnecessary.  

5 hours ago, peergin said:

I have always wondered what the re-entry form's purpose is. I have worked in several other countries in the course of my life but none of them had this requirement. After all, if the government has given you permission to live in the country, you have valid documents to enter the Kingdom. Why then is an additional re-entry permit necessary? It is a major inconvenience, especially for people who travel abroad often, like business people, oil workers, etc. Isn't the form superfluous? If it could be abolished lives of very busy Immigration officers would become a little easier.                               It also reminds me of the tax clearance form that (long ago) was required every time one left the country. That required another long, time-consuming trip to the Tax Department. Eventually that requirement was cancelled because it was found to be unnecessary.  

The tax clearance was way worse than the need for a re-entry permit. I agree the latter is pointless but, as long as the requirement is understood, it is not that onerous a requirement to satisfy. Just automatically getting a multiple entry re-entry permit along with annual extensions deals with 90% of the cases where re-entry permits are necessary. Many of the others are easily acquired when leaving through airports. The only major problem is the people who do not realize that they need one.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't need any annual extensions, 90-day reporting or anything else because I am a permanent resident. Just the re-entry permits only. So, it is inconvenient. And, as said, I have always wondered what the form's purpose is. To me it seems completely superfluous. And immigration officers are already very busy as it is.