Getting single entry O-visa after retirement extension expires?

A slightly similar topic to another thread, but that seemed to be veering into the obsessive compulsive/neurotic so wanted to make a fresh start.

My situation: UK citizen coming to the end of my sixth retirement extension in February 2018, and had intended to leave permanently by then. 

Property on sale in UK that I assumed would be sold by then (with huge tax benefit from being non-UK resident) now looks as though it may take longer. So I need to stay outside UK until sold. 

However do not wish to transfer another 800,000B over here in November to renew my extension in February, as I may only be staying a few months and have heard it is often difficult to transfer money back out. I don't have easily provable income to go the income route (except from investments, but these are mostly accumulating funds where income is used to buy more of the fund so hard to supply evidence to UK Embassy for income letter).

One possibility would be to exit and apply for a single (or multi) non-O visa, possibly at  Penang, to allow another 3 months stay?

So:

Would it be possible to do this at all after so many retirement extensions?

Could it be done while extension is still valid, so that at least I would know what the outcome was, ie will I be granted the visa or not.

What would be acceptable reason for non-O application.

Would a bank statement from an  offshore bank showing much more than 800,000B (in GBP)  be ok for financial proof?

Thanks in advance.

I very much doubt that you will get a ME "O" visa based on retirement anywhere within the region.

A SE visa is possible but you will be asked to provide financial evidence of meeting the requirements for an extension of stay.  A recent overseas bank statement might be accepted by the Penang consulate

I've had my extensions based on retirement run out twice while still in the US and my re-entry permit expire. I applied at the Thai Consulate in the US for a new O visa based on marriage. Approved with no problem. When I got back to Thailand before my 90 day single entry O expired I applied for a one year extension based on retirement. In my opinion that's the easiest way. But I don't know what your O visa is based on.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Here 2008 -Thanks single entry would be fine I think

Jimi007- Thanks, but I think you are misunderstanding what I am after. Not married, and  I specifically don't want to reapply for an extension based on retirement if I can help it, for the reasons I gave.

1 hour ago, partington said:

Property on sale in UK that I assumed would be sold by then (with huge tax benefit from being non-UK resident)

Are you sure that you get tax benefits on the sale of your house, I thought they'd changed the rules a few years back & you're still liable for Capital Gains on the sale of your house even if you are a non-resident for Tax purposes.

Happy to be told I'm wrong :)

Edited by LostinSEA

1 hour ago, LostinSEA said:

Are you sure that you get tax benefits on the sale of your house, I thought they'd changed the rules a few years back & you're still liable for Capital Gains on the sale of your house even if you are a non-resident for Tax purposes.

Happy to be told I'm wrong :)

You are correct but the tax for non-residents is calculated on capital gains only since 6th April 2015 and I have owned my property more than 27 years!  I would therefore save well over £40k in tax since the vast majority of the increase in value occurred well before April 2015!

• Like 1