Brexit negotiations have not begun well for UK, says former top diplomat

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, rufanuf said:

Well, you know what they say? You can prove anything with statistics. I've been to Denmark around half a dozen times. I like it. However I certainly wouldn't put it at the top of my wish list as a place to live, nor the UK. Better quality of life is to found far far away from anywhere in Europe.

Go on, share with us?

Everyone's taste is different

degustibus non est disputandum!

Edited by Grouse

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Go on, share with us?

Everyone's taste is different

degustibus non est disputandum!

Well you've probably gathered by now, I'm not a great fan of having every single orifice of my life "governed" and  "regulated" and not very brainwashable about what would constitute a good standard of liberty. Needless to say no amount of money can change the climate of the land you choose to live in, given the choice that excludes most of Europe except perhaps the Mediterranean.  I live in Thailand because I like the culture, government has little do with it at present. But ALL aspiring governments aspire to the control over the populace demonstrated by the west, even though its ultimate folly when it comes to quality of life issues.

I like the security provided by the simple fact you can't starve to death in country where you simply can't stop food growing,even from the cracks in the pavement!

I don't like the idea your never free of "standing charges" you never have true dominion even over 40sqms of apartment in Europe even if you own it free and clear, theres tax on your very existence ...the brown envelopes wont leave you alone, and if you don't respond you go to jail!  Call that a nice way to live? No thanks.

3 minutes ago, rufanuf said:

Well you've probably gathered by now, I'm not a great fan of having every single orifice of my life "governed" and  "regulated" and not very brainwashable about what would constitute a good standard of liberty. Needless to say no amount of money can change the climate of the land you choose to live in, given the choice that excludes most of Europe except perhaps the Mediterranean.  I live in Thailand because I like the culture, government has little do with it at present. But ALL aspiring governments aspire to the control over the populace demonstrated by the west, even though its ultimate folly when it comes to quality of life issues.

I like the security provided by the simple fact you can't starve to death in country where you simply can't stop food growing,even from the cracks in the pavement!

I don't like the idea your never free of "standing charges" you never have true dominion even over 40sqms of apartment in Europe even if you own it free and clear, theres tax on your very existence ...the brown envelopes wont leave you alone, and if you don't respond you go to jail!  Call that a nice way to live? No thanks.

I understand. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Grouse said:

I do understand your anger and agree with much of what you say.

Dumbing down of A levels, turning polytechs in universities and pushing the young onto useless courses was all to get youth unemployment statistics down.

The rest of the EU didn't do that and it's one of the reasons why many EU countries post higher youth unemployment that do we.

As always, the Germans have it right with their technical training and apprentice schemes. German workers get substantially better pay and conditions but their productivity allows this.

Where is our capital investment? It comes from the Japanese, Germans, India and USA!!!

Where is our North Sea Oil sovereign fund? We even sold ARM to the Japanese ( we sold ICL to Fujitsu years ago)

No, most of our problems are of our own making. I don't trust the Cons or the Trots.

I have applied for a passport for my beloved Denmark. Tak for det!

if you get that passport its time you swap your grouse avatar for a Gammel Dansk

1 hour ago, rufanuf said:

I'd say Europes problems are far greater than the UKs actually. With the exception of Germany.  The only difference most countries in Europe have still "never had it better". Even though it ain't that good!!! And the south European members all just manyana anyway so happy to live with 50% Youth unempliyement. Its always been a way of life for them.

Denmark might seem like an exception now, but lets see if it decides to stay in the EU or it wakes up, before its to late. The UK has been the only country in the EU to try and abide by the EUs silly rules...that's why we are misfit in the EU, most member states just fudge the figures and say yes to the rules and then just simply ignore them. That's why the EU is such a basket case.

there has been a lot of "forgetting" the rules in EU, a lot,

to say most countries is probably not right,

and to say that UK is the only law abiding country? well, nobody can hardly substantiate that I guess

So the people who voted out were fools? Must have been the same ones who weren't permitted a vote to go in. Into the EEC, that is; not the EC, not the EU.

I had an old friend who is   rabid anti EU   -  going so far as to stand as a Referendum party MP years ago , financed by Sir James  Goldsmit  .

He assured me  on 25 June 2016 the drop in the pound was just a  " temporary thing '  - my answer was that since   he's been living in the same house for 45 years in Twickenham  and still  hadn't managed to install  central heating  - it would be foolish for me not to believe him .  

11 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

there has been a lot of "forgetting" the rules in EU, a lot,

to say most countries is probably not right,

and to say that UK is the only law abiding country? well, nobody can hardly substantiate that I guess

Its a cultural thing. In order to follow rules you first have to understand the concept. Democracy suffers a similar plight in the hands of EU politicians. In order to understand democracy, first one has to have lived in one that's lasted more than a few decades.