Breadfruit

zzaa09

Looking to plant 3-4 breadfruit trees on our second property project - mostly for the lovely shade and greenery that might provide.

Anyone had any luck propagating breadfruit in Thailand?

Though, not terribly well known here and I know only of a handful that grow breadfruit as a novelty.

Nursery stock breadfruit available or must one start from scratch?

Thanks.

9 hours ago, cooked said:

A friend of ate it in Haiti and he said it was horrible! What's more the natives don't like it much either.

It would be interesting to see if that is the only reason why people don't grow it here.

Personally, I don't mind it if prepared correctly. Slow roasted is a nice way of taking it - bring out the natural nuttiness.

Traditionally, consumed in the Pacific Islands, as that's where it's native.

Extraordinarily nutritious, providing a number of essential elements.

Don't believe it's ever caught on as a staple throughout SE Asia, though will grow here quite well.

You can buy a sake tree for 100 baht in about all the treeshops. And they are perfect to give shade close to a pool or on a terrace. I stayed in a resort in hua hin where they had huge ones inbetween the pools.

Sake is grown everywhere, they cook them unripe in thai dishes which you can buy on the markets.

But there are many different breadfruits around the world, not sure if the Thai variety is a good one or not. 

We have a pedalai which almost looks the same but should give nice fruit. Google for it if you need more info about pedalai aka artocarpus sericicarpus.

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2017 at 6:33 PM, Thian said:

On 8/8/2017 at 1:01 AM, zzaa09 said:

Personally, I don't mind it if prepared correctly. Slow roasted is a nice way of taking it - bring out the natural nuttiness.

Traditionally, consumed in the Pacific Islands, as that's where it's native.

Extraordinarily nutritious, providing a number of essential elements.

Don't believe it's ever caught on as a staple throughout SE Asia, though will grow here quite well.

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=14069.0

Here you can buy many different artocarpus seeds from indonesia...these are not in thailand yet afaik.

To avoid messing with the latex I boil the unripe ones  whole for 45 to 60 minutes.  Then remove the skin with a sharp knife.   Now they are ready to slice up and pan fry in chili and garlic flavored butter. You can also breadfruit in lieu of potatoes in making potato salad.  The breadfruit I am accustomed to are seedless Hawaiian and Samoan varieties.  Seedless types are propagated by root suckers.