IKEA Samuii

Has anyone used the IKEA Samuii ordering service? They are not affiliated to IKEA, but will order your goods and take delivery and then you pick up from them. The only other option to buy IKEA products is to go the Bangkok and then arrange delivery to Koh Phangan where I live, which would be an expensive shopping spree!

You can't order from IKEA Bangkok on the internet. I've already asked that question and been told you have to go to a store to order and they will arrange delivery.  If you know something I don't, then I would be interested to hear.  That's why I'm asking if anyone has used the ordering service offered in Samuii, but I'm reluctant to hand over money to them without knowing it works.

If you can shop at Ikea Bangkok, their delivery service will deliver to Samui. You need to do this in person, not online, They will pack everything for you right there. You can pay for delivery by meter squared or pay for a full truck.

I believe a full truck is 15,000 baht. 1/4 truckload is 3,500b if I remember correctly. But if only using a portion of the truck you may have to wait a couple weeks for delivery as they would like to send a full truck.

I filled a truck last time I was there and they beat me back to Samui. They basically took my order and loaded the truck and started driving immediately.

The Ikea outfit on Samui will pick up your order from Ikea and deliver to Samui for a 25% (or is it 30%) mark up. Perhaps not horrible if you do the math on your order and weigh it against flying to Bangkok and paying for Ikea delivery.

The Samui outfit is trustworthy. They only arrange deliveries once a month usually in the last week of the month.

There is also an independent guy - I will find out his contact info and post later - who you message your order to and he will buy the order at Ikea and have it delivered to Samui by an inexpensive shipping company. He charges a fee for his services. Still cheaper than flying to Bangkok and back and finding a company to ship to Samui.

And lastly, depending on what you are buying, you can fly into Bangkok, shop at Ikea and box your order right there and bring it back to Samui as luggage. Done that too...

Thank you so much Kilt for all the really helpful information.  I have now placed an order through the Samui source and found them very helpful.  It is 25% by the way, which for my order works out about 1000Thb more than ordering in the Bangkok store, but of course I would have to go there or get someone in Bangkok to do it for me.  So this way is much easier and far more convenient for me as I will only have to go to Samui to collect my order.  Thanks in particular for saying that the Samui source is trustworthy as that was my worry and I could'nt find anyone who had used them.

whats so great about ikea….i find the furniture to be crap that falls apart in a couple of years….kitchen stuff, crockery, cutlery etc is ok.
I've found Ikea is guaranteed quality. If you buy an unknown make and company who knows how long it will last, i know my Thai built in wardrobes at my condo a couple of years ago were rubbish. If you can get over the snob value Ikea is good quality

Good quality sheets, duvets, pillows, mattresses.... carpets... kitchenware... lamps...

Stuff that is hard to find elsewhere at a fraction of the price.

>>whats so great about ikea….i find the furniture to be crap that falls apart in a couple of years….kitchen stuff, crockery, cutlery etc is ok.<<

• 1 month later...